MILF fantasies and mental health

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Ketbax
Currently Reading: The Amber Spyglass
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ketbax.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: MILF fantasies and mental health

Post by Ketbax »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 11:26
Ketbax wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 11:12 I found myself cringing every time the author brought up Adam's attraction to his mother. I was a but more open to it once the incident with Terry happened because I thought the novel might start focusing on mental health. After reading more, I agree with nearly everyone else that this attraction could have been presented in a different way and still furthered the plot. I agree that the over-sexualization of Jo was more for shock factor than anything else.
How did you feel about the serum excuse for Adam's attraction for his mom? Personally, I found it quite weak and did nothing to make me feel like that whole thing was more acceptable.
I would have bought into it more if there was more of an emotional healing aspect. It seems like Adam did a complete 180 in his interests with no reconciliation of his past and future, which is probably why it felt weak (for me at least). The serum seems like a bit of an ex machina, and I completely agree with you!
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I definitely do not think Adam's attraction to his mother was essential to the plot. Especially because his attraction to her was basically what opened the book. It was very off-putting and almost made me not want to finish it. Fortunately, I did finish the novel and learned that his love for his mother wasn't just because he found her attractive or was actually in love with her. I do wish this whole "storyline" was not included in the book because IF it were not in the book, what much would have been different, really?
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I hadn't really thought about that maybe it wasn't necessary; yes, the author probably could have illustrated his darkness in another way that would not have been so controversial. Although I also found the abduction and all the equipment in the shed quite disturbing as well. I found it hard to read this first part but I had read some reviews so I knew it changed in some way, if I had been reading it without knowing that I might have stopped reading. But I was still intrigued about what was going to happen.

The other thing that crossed my mind was perhaps teen sons being attracted to their mothers is more common than we think because it's never talked about. I am female so I don't know, but having heard about how compelling the sex drive can be for male teens perhaps it can get kind of almost psychotic because of the hormones etc.? What do people think?
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

AlexisLib wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 15:46 The other thing that crossed my mind was perhaps teen sons being attracted to their mothers is more common than we think because it's never talked about. I am female so I don't know, but having heard about how compelling the sex drive can be for male teens perhaps it can get kind of almost psychotic because of the hormones etc.? What do people think?
I don't know. Those are good questions, AlexisLib. I've wondered that, too.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

This aspect of the book really bothered me. For one, it was introduced early in the book, while readers are still forming their opinion of the main character. Then the next event, his planned rape of a young girl which eventually leads to her death, doesn't help matters.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Having only read the sample, I can't really comment on whether Adam's attraction to his own mother was included by the author merely for shock value, or if it was integral to the overall plot. However, I cannot understand any man or adolescent boy being sexually attracted to his own mother. There are literally billions of women in the world other than your own mother to be attracted to. I believe this is definitely a sign of mental illness and/or a malformed psyche which, left unchecked, could potentially manifest itself in more malignant ways. If this is the direction the author eventually takes in Adam's case, it could be interesting...
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

I felt disturbed by Adam's attraction to his mum. It seemed like a very huge case of Oedipus complex. Later on with the youth serum thing the book made sense but that attraction was creepy. The fact that his hideout was full of Jo's photos is unsettling. My view on Adam's repulsion to Vikki is to add some thrill and surprise to the story.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I think the only plot importance it has is to reinforce him as a dark character in the beginning and reinforce his genetic differences to regular humans by the end.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Kaia_Faye wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 14:35 I found it quite jarring at first (I also briefly wondered what I'd gotten myself into), but I thought the author did a good job in explaining it. It made Adam's character development much more noticeable throughout the book. Definitely a strange choice, but she managed it pretty well.
I agree for the most part. I am glad this thread was added to get others take on the subject. I found it very alarming to be found in the book at all, especially in the first few pages. I will say that the author did a great job of explaining it in the end.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I've read books that talk about sensitive topics such as this. But for this particular book, I don't think that it was necessary. Adam's character can be added upon by using a more effective element.
-rk
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

LV2R wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 00:26 I think this was part of Adam not understanding who he was and why he would be attracted to his mom. This added to the readers' first impression of Adam as being a dark, moody, and a possibly evil guy, though he fought his feelings. I was glad when Adam found out who his mom was and why he had been attracted to her.
I agree one hundred percent. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
BrianCollins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briancollins.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by BrianCollins »

I think what makes the introduction of Opaque questionable is that Adam's apparent obsession with his stepmother doesn't come back to tell us anything meaningful about his character in the long run. It's also strange to have this be one of the first things we find out about our protagonist, especially the protagonist of a YA novel. Personally I think the author might have inserted the Oedipal passages for shock value.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

I didn't think Adam's infatuation with his mother was necessary. The scene with Terry was more than enough for shock value. I also thought he was mentally unstable at first because of his obsession with telekinesis.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I find it disturbing!
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

It seems a lot of the time that those MILF fantasies and relative-driven fantasies are for shock value..unless the book is specifically cultured around it.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”