MILF fantasies and mental health

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Re: MILF fantasies and mental health

Post by Poppy Drear »

I'd imagine that for some people, it goes hand-in-hand with coming of age narratives. I, personally, am not one of those people - I would be happier if it wasn't included. I just find it a bit off-putting and unnecessary.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Ariely 20 wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 15:31 I think it was for shock value as well as character development. It is a good thing the writer didn't take it very far, it would have been a turn-off.
I believe it was definitely for shock value, but I am not so sure if it checks the "character development" box. For me, if an element of a story can be completely removed but the story is unaffected in any way, the element is unnecessary.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

A dangerous choice for any author. I think it would cause a lot of people to stop reading but if it's integral to the plot and written well I guess it makes sense. It does make me uncomfortable I can't lie. Big downside for me.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

Yeah, it did feel like that bit was added to make Adam more of a compelling character, like more black paint for his canvas. I was really relieved when it was explained away as a supernatural attraction, but I still feel like the story could have done without that bit.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

ayoomisope wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 21:16 I believe it was definitely for shock value, but I am not so sure if it checks the "character development" box. For me, if an element of a story can be completely removed but the story is unaffected in any way, the element is unnecessary.
That's a very insightful way to put it. I agree with you that the story didn't need it. Therefore, it was added for nothing more than cheap shock value.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
_Lilee_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilee.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by _Lilee_ »

The concept of a teen boy having an obsessive love for his mother did not appeal to me. While, I could have skimmed it over because it is something that happens in the real world, the way Calix Leigh-Reign wrote about it was not my cup of tea. Adam's relationship with his parents in the first half of the novel was entirely unhealthy and hard for me to read. I feel that her explanation for why Adam was so "attached" to his mother and jealous of his father was disappointing and fell short in many different ways. It made me feel like she just wanted a something plausible to sweep up all of Adam's faults under a rug and start accelerating his sudden character development. To be honest, I was very disappointed that the family conflict was resolved the way it was. It felt very lackluster and as if there was very little effort put into thinking of another, more resolute way.
vagrimes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vagrimes.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by vagrimes »

I agree the beginning of the book was difficult to read. I had mixed emotions towards the end when Dauma explained it was the youth serum given to his mother that caused his inappropriate thoughts. On one hand, I was happy Adam had a reason for his behavior because it made me forgive him easier, but on the other it just seemed too convenient and allowed the book to gloss over the issue altogether.
Joshuaomollo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshuaomollo.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Joshuaomollo »

I'm actually happy this wasn't pursued further because it honestly would have been disturbing.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

It was an important part for Adam in knowing who he was. I didn't particularly like it but I have to admit it was essential for the plot.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I think it doesn't add to the plot but it is important in Adam's character development as the story unfolds.
ILikeBigBooks
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilikebigbooks.html
Latest Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most by Bob Dowell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by ILikeBigBooks »

I personally couldn't finish this book. I found this whole Adam loving his mother thing to be extremely creepy and prevented. Though I do feel that it was important for the story. If they didn't have this part in the book, then it wouldn't show how demented Adam was. Though I feel like I don't need to read a book about this I see how it helps the story.
edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Post by edztan15 »

It was an uncomfortable read. I think it was included to add dimension to Adam. Though I think it can be achieved through less awkward means.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I think that apart from it being added to the story for shock value, it also added to the story line. Because it's such an uncommon narrative in a young adult book, it obviously drew the readers attention and made the reader want to continue reading to know what would happen next. But there was also a very reasonable explanation as to why Adam felt the way he did.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I think it served both purposes. It added enough shock value to keep readers' interested enough to continue reading. But it was also well explained later on as to why Adam felt the way he did.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Ever_Reading wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 01:55 I'm finding it rather strange and can't possibly figure out why it's important to the plot. I am not yet done with the book, so maybe my view on it will change. But for now, I remain skeptical for sure. :eusa-think:
I agree. I always find this Oedipus complex stuff disturbing.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”