Carly and Kane's friendship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: Carly and Kane's friendship

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 09:39
Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:32
Jac-o-lantern wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:06 I do think Kane was in the wrong for just kissing her out of the blue, he should have talked to her about his feelings especially knowing she was in a relationship. However, I do think Carly shares some of the blame for leading him on. While her outfit did not matter in my opinion, her reluctance to make clear boundaries and show her discomfort with his actions lead him to believe he had a chance and her reaction of slapping him was too extreme she could have used her words. I understand both were afraid of ruining their friendship, but more communication should have been used.
I think you really worded this very well! I don't condone violence in this instance... the lines were blurred enough that I can understand why Kane felt like it was ok to kiss her, (but you are right, he could/should have told her about his wanting to kiss her) but I don't think Kane was being aggressive to the point that Carly felt the need to defend herself.
I think Carly did it more as a way of reflex than self-defence.
I keep going back and forth on that... I ultimately do agree, I don't think Carly meant to hit him and that she was in shock... but also, she did exhibit enough restraint to not burn him... that would have made that scene much more interesting if she had accidentally burnt him! It would have created this whole interesting storyline and maybe give that whole situation some reasoning... Leads to Carly telling Kane about her powers.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 09:43
Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:19
gayscott wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:09 :oops: Why would you invite a guy over, wear a more provocative top, and snuggle on the couch if you weren't trying to start something? In my opinion, she should've been surprised if there hadn't been a kiss.
I agree... it's confusing enough at that age but she definitely was blurring those lines... The only defense I can think of on Carly's behalf is that she is unpracticed at social situations... but still, making dinner for two and cuddling on the couch would seem romantic to me too...
Yes but she definitely wanted for a good casual hangout. As she was in the first-person narration, I see no intent from her.
Especially when she decides to put on those socks... she's obviously conscious of his sexual turn-ons and made an effort to curb them... (~shudders~ I'll never get over that part)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 16:26
Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:32

I think you really worded this very well! I don't condone violence in this instance... the lines were blurred enough that I can understand why Kane felt like it was ok to kiss her, (but you are right, he could/should have told her about his wanting to kiss her) but I don't think Kane was being aggressive to the point that Carly felt the need to defend herself.
I keep going back and forth on that... I ultimately do agree, I don't think Carly meant to hit him and that she was in shock... but also, she did exhibit enough restraint to not burn him... that would have made that scene much more interesting if she had accidentally burnt him! It would have created this whole interesting storyline and maybe give that whole situation some reasoning... Leads to Carly telling Kane about her powers.
Ahhh, you're right, that's would have been very interesting if Carly had accidentally burned him and she had to tell him about her powers! That would have spiced things up for sure!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

LV2R wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 00:35 I can see how Kane would be thrown off a bit from being invited over and being a close friend to Carly. I do not think Carly should have slapped him, but that was her first reaction to what she thought Kane had crossed over a boundary set in her mind. Maybe this would be a lesson to Carly on how to remain friends, but more careful how time would be spent together from then on.
The slap was warranted, as he knew she had a boyfriend.

But Carly, girl. You are in a relationship, don't be snuggling up to a guy friend in the couch. That's truly just not appropriate. I'm a married woman with close guy friends, and we're not snuggling on couches.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

B Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 11:17
LV2R wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 00:35 I can see how Kane would be thrown off a bit from being invited over and being a close friend to Carly. I do not think Carly should have slapped him, but that was her first reaction to what she thought Kane had crossed over a boundary set in her mind. Maybe this would be a lesson to Carly on how to remain friends, but more careful how time would be spent together from then on.
I agree! I think Carly kind off provoked it by wearing an off-the-shoulder top and by snuggling up with him on the couch. She knew Kane liked her as more than a friend! Thanks for commenting!
The snuggling on the couch thing was just too much. I have dude friends. I'm a married woman. We hang out one on one, we make dinner together, but I'm not cuddling on the couch with them, or falling asleep on them, while watching a movie. Boundaries!
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

mariana90 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 15:02 I don't think an off-the-shoulder sweater to be a turn-on for a dude, though there is definitely something out there for everyone.

I think it was more the author trying to add sexual tension through a love triangle than any actual misbehavior on Carly's part.

Though I agree that the snuggling can definitely be misread by a guy, especially if they already have feelings for the girl.
The cuddling up and snuggling up was just inappropriate. That's not how you behave with a guy you know likes you, and you're already in a relationship. It's called boundaries, and being respectful of your partner (although her partner kidnapped and basically killed a girl in the woods in his sex den, so Kane was a definite upgrade).
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

gilliansisley wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:43
I agree! I think Carly kind off provoked it by wearing an off-the-shoulder top and by snuggling up with him on the couch. She knew Kane liked her as more than a friend! Thanks for commenting!
The snuggling on the couch thing was just too much. I have dude friends. I'm a married woman. We hang out one on one, we make dinner together, but I'm not cuddling on the couch with them, or falling asleep on them, while watching a movie. Boundaries!
I absolutely agree! Send out the wrong signals and you will get the wrong outcome!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

B Creech wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:48
I absolutely agree! Send out the wrong signals and you will get the wrong outcome!
Exactly! Be clear, communicate and don't directly give mixed signals to a guy who you know likes you by snuggling up like you're physically attracted to him.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

B Creech wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:31
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 16:26

Ahhh, you're right, that's would have been very interesting if Carly had accidentally burned him and she had to tell him about her powers! That would have spiced things up for sure!
Thanks! :character-afro:
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:40

But Carly, girl. You are in a relationship, don't be snuggling up to a guy friend in the couch. That's truly just not appropriate. I'm a married woman with close guy friends, and we're not snuggling on couches.
Right? I also don't make my close guy friends a dinner for two...
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:50
B Creech wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:48

Exactly! Be clear, communicate and don't directly give mixed signals to a guy who you know likes you by snuggling up like you're physically attracted to him.
:ditto: I agree!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:46
mariana90 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 15:02 I don't think an off-the-shoulder sweater to be a turn-on for a dude, though there is definitely something out there for everyone.

I think it was more the author trying to add sexual tension through a love triangle than any actual misbehavior on Carly's part.

Though I agree that the snuggling can definitely be misread by a guy, especially if they already have feelings for the girl.
The cuddling up and snuggling up was just inappropriate. That's not how you behave with a guy you know likes you, and you're already in a relationship. It's called boundaries, and being respectful of your partner (although her partner kidnapped and basically killed a girl in the woods in his sex den, so Kane was a definite upgrade).
You make a good point... Kane would definitely be an upgrade!
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 11:13
gilliansisley wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:40

Right? I also don't make my close guy friends a dinner for two...
I mean, I actually do that, with guy friends I had before my husband came along. But like, we don't touch. We hug hello and goodbye, eat like a pasta dinner or something ( I ain't making a fancy dinner, nah), and watch a movie on OPPOSITE ends of the couch. No snuggling. No weird flirty tension. No nothing.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 11:46
gilliansisley wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:46

You make a good point... Kane would definitely be an upgrade!
Hells yeah. Always nice (apart from the led-on kissing incident), was respectful, kind, NOT a kidnapping and murdering psychopath... guys like that can be hard to find!
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I think they were both at fault for putting themselves in that situation. Carly shouldn't have been as flirtatious and Kane should have respected her relationship with Adam. It was a mutual failure.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”