Thoughts on Ending??

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Thoughts on Ending??

Post by Howlan »

Mahingan79 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 18:48
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 20:00 Spoilers:

I thought the ending was a bit anticlimactic and wished there would have been some sort of hook for the next book. I didn’t feel like there was much to get excited about for the next book. I might have to read the sneak peek because this book just moved on to Merry Christmas and that was it. I thought a glimpse of the twin or Alexandra would have been a nice addition to the epilogue.
I was a little disappointed in the 'Merry Christmas' ending as well. I lectured my kindle. "Wait, what? Are you friggin kidding me? What about the twin that was hinted to earlier, or Vikki, or the rest of the Iksha? Are we seriously not going to address the fact that Carly exhibited more powers than any descendant has been known to have? I mean really, not one person is going to call her on that? Not even the super jealous shady one."

Then I saw the sneak peek of book 2 was on the next page and realized there was still more to come. The author just chose to end the book on a calm note after so much excitement. I'm already a third of the way through the second book now. This is a great story. You should definitely give it a chance.
Okay so has Adam had some good character developments?
Peppermint52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peppermint52.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Peppermint52 »

I must admit , I was sad when I thought Carly was dead, sad for Adam, because he had finally found someone just like him, and understood him completely.
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I thought that there should have been a little more to the ending.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Mahingan79 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 18:48
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 20:00 Spoilers:

I thought the ending was a bit anticlimactic and wished there would have been some sort of hook for the next book. I didn’t feel like there was much to get excited about for the next book. I might have to read the sneak peek because this book just moved on to Merry Christmas and that was it. I thought a glimpse of the twin or Alexandra would have been a nice addition to the epilogue.
I was a little disappointed in the 'Merry Christmas' ending as well. I lectured my kindle. "Wait, what? Are you friggin kidding me? What about the twin that was hinted to earlier, or Vikki, or the rest of the Iksha? Are we seriously not going to address the fact that Carly exhibited more powers than any descendant has been known to have? I mean really, not one person is going to call her on that? Not even the super jealous shady one."

Then I saw the sneak peek of book 2 was on the next page and realized there was still more to come. The author just chose to end the book on a calm note after so much excitement. I'm already a third of the way through the second book now. This is a great story. You should definitely give it a chance.
Haha! I’m just now seeing this, but I think you quoted my exact response to the ending. I haven’t had a chance to check out the second book yet, but I’m definitely curious now. Thanks for the heads up about book two. I thought I saw something about a third book, so that might be something to look forward to as well.
Hi_low
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hi-low.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Hi_low »

Spoilers

There was a period of time where I had to keep putting the book down because I thought Carly was about to die and I needed to get mentally prepared for that. I'm glad she didn't die because she was having such a unique arc and I am really looking forward to seeing how it plays out
piplup45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

Spoiler Alert

I thought the end was an extreme cop out. We were led to believe that Carly had died, only to then have her say “I sacrificed the extra parts of my body that my core created to give me the power I needed to kill all the bad guys in one fell swoop, but now that I’m recovered I’m fine. I just didn’t think anyone should have that power, so I gave it up.”

If she had the power to create new cells in her body to increase her power, she still has it an actually sacrificed nothing. If she truly believed no one should have that power, she needed to die. In this sense, we were robbed of an appropriate ending in order to further the teenage angst she spent the whole book building.

In another sense, we were also robbed of conclusion because she gave Carly the power to singlehandedly kill all the enemies. It was extremely disappointing that the author wasn’t creative enough to actually write the battle scene in a way that utilized all the abilities she had previously given the characters and instead just made one discover a new power, go “Super Saiyan” and end it. She added new powers suddenly and out of her own convenience several times before that as well. I felt it robbed me of any enjoyment I could get from the book.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I'm not quite sure about how I felt about Carly's demise. I didn't actually believe she was dead when I first read the ending to be honest. Even now, it hasn't sunk in. Personally, I feel that given how sudden and how unbelievable the scene was, her death wasn't executed very well. I liked her much more than I liked Adam, and I feel like it's such a waste of a good character.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

Maybe Carly dying is setting up Adam to be a stronger person because of it in the second book? 🤔
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

Aditi Sapate wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 09:20 I guess we are allowed to share as much as we want to, but within reason. And yes, we do have to mention 'spoilers' whenever there are possible spoilers in the question. And yes, I did think Carly was nearly 'gone' towards the end.
I think so, too.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

It would have been a disaster to the whole story if she died. It would change the course of the whole story and trust me, it wouldn't be nice.
Officialboluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialboluwatife.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Officialboluwatife »

It ended well for me. I just kept imaging Adam fate and what is next line of action would be.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

Spoilers, of course:

I wasn't convinced that Carly was going to die, and I felt like the last few chapters overall were a bit rushed compared to the rest of the book. Most of the book is spent setting up for the fight with the Iksha and then it's just over once they take out like one wave of them? They didn't even check the facility to make sure there isn't another hideout somewhere or to look for Adam's sibling and mother. Carly's abrupt destruction of her own newly advanced powers also didn't sit right with me because that's what her mother basically died to give her.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

It was a disappointment that even after building Adam's arc throughout, he did not have much to do in the final battle except for obsessing over Carly. I thought betrayal was in order and Adam would be the scapegoat after Dauma revealed to Carly that theirs is the strongest bloodline.
Princepetr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princepetr.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Princepetr »

The author put in a masterpiece at the end. He mads it highly unpredictable to the reader. Carly's role made it look interesting. The writer had to capture our imagination to achieve it's purpose.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I like the suspense that came with the thought that Carly was gone.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”