Thoughts on Ending??

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Re: Thoughts on Ending??

Post by Areej Tahir »

Oh that scared me so much! I would've died there. But Honestly a part of me knew it wasn't true
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

nah, i never thought that she was gone... plus the "suspense" of it was resolved like... instantly.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Post by SirLaddie »

I agree with Everydayadventure15. The ending was very anticlimactic. It really wouldn't have made any difference to me whether or not it created a cliffhanger because I don't intend to read any more of this author's books. I disliked it quite a bit.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

So, unpopular opinion, but I hated Adam throughout the whole book for what he did to Terry, and I was hoping he'd be the one to get offed, because as I read the entire book the only thing I could ever think of was, "When is there going to be some damn justice for Terry's murder!?"
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 02:35 I kept hoping Adam would have to sacrifice himself to save her. It would have been a nice poetic atonement for the girl at the beginning.
Yes!!! That would redeem this book in my eyes. Otherwise, I am not all that bothered.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

SirLaddie wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 10:04 I agree with Everydayadventure15. The ending was very anticlimactic. It really wouldn't have made any difference to me whether or not it created a cliffhanger because I don't intend to read any more of this author's books. I disliked it quite a bit.
Welcome to the really small club. For a second there I thought I read a different kind of book how everyone is raving about it. It is safe to say I won't be reading the next book either.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

Howlan wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 01:20
silvafaerie wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 14:23 'Spoilers'
I was confused as to why Carly gave up her powers. I realize that she thought it was too much for one person but the bad guys aren't all gone yet. Won't she need that power for the actual battle that is to come? All they did was defeat the Iksha for the moment at one decoy holding center.
Yes exactly her death would have come as a major character change to Adam, as his entire transformation is based on Carly. With her gone, it would have been be major.
I completely agree, not completely sure why she would have given up the powers. Almost like when Harry Potter broke the elder wand hah, but maybe not really.
That absolutely would have changed his character. Would be interesting later on how that would affect him, but not now. Not yet
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

gilliansisley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 14:10 So, unpopular opinion, but I hated Adam throughout the whole book for what he did to Terry, and I was hoping he'd be the one to get offed, because as I read the entire book the only thing I could ever think of was, "When is there going to be some damn justice for Terry's murder!?"
Honestly I agree, I was a little bothered at how casual Carly took it with him. Terry very much dismissed and quite easily. I don't feel there was any justice for her.
She did deserve better, part of me thinks Carly and her friend she worked with might have been a better match?? But there was obviously the power pull between Carly and Adam
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 09:23
Howlan wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 00:10
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 20:00 Spoilers:

I thought the ending was a bit anticlimactic and wished there would have been some sort of hook for the next book. I didn’t feel like there was much to get excited about for the next book. I might have to read the sneak peek because this book just moved on to Merry Christmas and that was it. I thought a glimpse of the twin or Alexandra would have been a nice addition to the epilogue.
You definitely gotta read the sneak peek. It will definitely give you more than enough reason to read the next book.
Thanks, I think I will. I was curious to check it out and I tend to like the second book in series better than the first (especially if the first was a debut novel). The writing usually improves and since many of the characters are already established, there's room for the plot to go deeper. I have Kindle Unlimited right now and the second book is available. I figure if I like the first few chapters I'll just keep going!
Glad to know you enjoyed it. I am myself thinking of reading it and am glad to know it is better than the first one.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 15:05 nah, i never thought that she was gone... plus the "suspense" of it was resolved like... instantly.
Totally true. No chance was given to grieve for Carly as she was revived.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Chelsearoses wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 18:15
gilliansisley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 14:10 So, unpopular opinion, but I hated Adam throughout the whole book for what he did to Terry, and I was hoping he'd be the one to get offed, because as I read the entire book the only thing I could ever think of was, "When is there going to be some damn justice for Terry's murder!?"
Honestly I agree, I was a little bothered at how casual Carly took it with him. Terry very much dismissed and quite easily. I don't feel there was any justice for her.
She did deserve better, part of me thinks Carly and her friend she worked with might have been a better match?? But there was obviously the power pull between Carly and Adam
Amen, sister. Couldn't agree more!

I totally liked Kane until he kissed Carly by the door, when he knew she had a boyfriend. Granted, she shouldn't have been snuggling up on the couch with him, because mixed signals, but still.

The slap was warranted. I was peeved when she apologized for it.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 05:42
Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 15:05 nah, i never thought that she was gone... plus the "suspense" of it was resolved like... instantly.
Totally true. No chance was given to grieve for Carly as she was revived.
The author could have totally kept her resurrection until the next book... it would be interesting to see how Adam would have reacted...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I honestly didn't think she was gone. Although to be fair, I may have been a bit past the point of caring very much.
Vin Doobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vin-doobs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Vin Doobs »

I wasn't able to finish reading this book, but I hope to get back to it. This is a bold take on the vampire-superhero genre. I want to see how it ends.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Vin Doobs wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 00:27 I wasn't able to finish reading this book, but I hope to get back to it. This is a bold take on the vampire-superhero genre. I want to see how it ends.
Vampire-Superhero? Just curious, where did you get the vampire part from?

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”