Carly and Dauma's Relationship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Carly and Dauma's Relationship

Post by diamonnd »

*Spoilers*

I found Carly and Dauma's relationship really incredible. Carly had a lot of respect for her mom and vice versa. It was nice to see such a strong bond between them because so many people are unable to have that kind of relationship. However, I was shocked when I read about Dauma sacrificing herself to Carly. I knew their bond was strong and they were close, but to almost become one person was a little bit too much to me.

What were your thoughts on their relationship and the author's decision to have Dauma sacrifice herself for Carly?
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I kind of think that all mothers would do that. In this particular situation, she was also so distraught over her husband's murder that I think when she used too much energy to kill the militants, she may have been trying to commit suicide. That's just what I think. What better way to leave your daughter with generations of insight and power, so she can continue to fight the Iksha. :D :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I would do for my daughter what Dauma did for her daughter. As somebody else commented, any mother would do that for their child. That part made me sad though....had me shout..... No not her too. But books imitate life and I had to deal with it.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I liked their relationship, up to the point where they became one. I thought it was an alright concept, but it really felt like Dauma was just giving up. It seemed like after losing her husband, Dauma wouldn't even continue to be there for her 16 year old daughter, who still really needed her. Over-all, there relationship was a very powerful one, but I wish it didn't just feel like Dauma abandoning her because of the loss of her husband.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I thought the merge aspect was sudden and could have been worked into the story earlier and the concept explored more thoroughly.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

diamonnd wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 13:42 *Spoilers*

I found Carly and Dauma's relationship really incredible. Carly had a lot of respect for her mom and vice versa. It was nice to see such a strong bond between them because so many people are unable to have that kind of relationship. However, I was shocked when I read about Dauma sacrificing herself to Carly. I knew their bond was strong and they were close, but to almost become one person was a little bit too much to me.

What were your thoughts on their relationship and the author's decision to have Dauma sacrifice herself for Carly?
I think it was really unnecessary. The story was going great. Suddenly doing what she did really felt like too much.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

KDJ wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 17:34 I kind of think that all mothers would do that. In this particular situation, she was also so distraught over her husband's murder that I think when she used too much energy to kill the militants, she may have been trying to commit suicide. That's just what I think. What better way to leave your daughter with generations of insight and power, so she can continue to fight the Iksha. :D :D :D
I think leaving the burden of saving their kind on her daughter is not a sensible to do.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:14 I liked their relationship, up to the point where they became one. I thought it was an alright concept, but it really felt like Dauma was just giving up. It seemed like after losing her husband, Dauma wouldn't even continue to be there for her 16 year old daughter, who still really needed her. Over-all, there relationship was a very powerful one, but I wish it didn't just feel like Dauma abandoning her because of the loss of her husband.
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Leaving your daughter to save the world by not being there for her is not sensible
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

A bit shocking, but I think every mother would do that if need be.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I think this could have been an unbelievable scene if we hadn't already seen the level of trust, respect, and strength between the characters. I can see how the mother knew this to be the best choice and the daughter's distress was completely believable. As a mother of four (and my children are mostly younger than these characters), I think only two of my children could come close to handling this with me. But I find it believable that my husband could with the other two (when they are a touch older).
A sacrifice given and received like this, relies on the very foundation of the relationship, not upon chance.
Samantha Shinn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-shinn.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Samantha Shinn »

I felt that it was kind of an abusive relationship. I got the feeling through the interaction between Adam and Dauma that Carly had to learn a hard lesson to respect her mom that way. The author gave the feeling that Carly both loved and feared her mom. She was afraid of her mom using her powers against her, which would be abusing her powers to force her daughter to show her the love and respect she wanted. Kind of crazy. They seemed to be over it for the most part, but she did not sacrifice herself for Carly, she did it because she could not bare it to live any longer without her husband.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Samantha Shinn wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 01:14 I felt that it was kind of an abusive relationship. I got the feeling through the interaction between Adam and Dauma that Carly had to learn a hard lesson to respect her mom that way. The author gave the feeling that Carly both loved and feared her mom. She was afraid of her mom using her powers against her, which would be abusing her powers to force her daughter to show her the love and respect she wanted. Kind of crazy. They seemed to be over it for the most part, but she did not sacrifice herself for Carly, she did it because she could not bare it to live any longer without her husband.
I totally get and agree with your second point. She never sacrificed herself for anybody. It was totally out of the grief of losing her husband.
Tchrjokes456
Currently Reading: Night Angel
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tchrjokes456.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Tchrjokes456 »

I think that Dauma's sacrifice was made in Carly's best interest. By doing so, Carly essentially gained power that gave her the potential to be more powerful than her mother had been. What was lacking for me was the anticlimactic revelation that Carly's dad had died. Saying that Dauma felt his absence left too many questions. How do they know he hadn't been experimented on to create that feeling? I wouldn't be surprised if that dad comes back later in the series.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Samantha Shinn wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 01:14 I felt that it was kind of an abusive relationship. I got the feeling through the interaction between Adam and Dauma that Carly had to learn a hard lesson to respect her mom that way. The author gave the feeling that Carly both loved and feared her mom. She was afraid of her mom using her powers against her, which would be abusing her powers to force her daughter to show her the love and respect she wanted. Kind of crazy. They seemed to be over it for the most part, but she did not sacrifice herself for Carly, she did it because she could not bare it to live any longer without her husband.
hmmm, that is an interesting interpretation that I hadn't thought of!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Tchrjokes456 wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 12:13 I think that Dauma's sacrifice was made in Carly's best interest. By doing so, Carly essentially gained power that gave her the potential to be more powerful than her mother had been. What was lacking for me was the anticlimactic revelation that Carly's dad had died. Saying that Dauma felt his absence left too many questions. How do they know he hadn't been experimented on to create that feeling? I wouldn't be surprised if that dad comes back later in the series.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised about Carly's dad being part of another twist...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”