Carly and Dauma's Relationship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Carly and Dauma's Relationship

Post by shish_by_design »

I think that most mothers would do whatever is best for their children so it is not really surprising that she did that for her own.
majdawhispers
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majdawhispers.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by majdawhispers »

It didn't feel like it's too much for me. It was mothers' love at its best.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

Daruma and Carly's relationship was one to emulate. They respected one another and that how it should for parents and their siblings.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

Dauma and Carly's relationship was one to emulate. They respected one another and that how it should for parents and their siblings.u
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

I loved Carly's and Dauma's relationship. Any mother would like to have that with her daughter. The sacrifice she made to become one was not at all selfish. I think the Wit line being that powerful would need a powerful leader to match and Dauma's strength was wearing off.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

It is quite natural to have a strong bond of affection between a mother and her daughter like Carly and Dauma's relationship. However, it again depends upon the circumstances as in this case Carly was loving her mom at the same time fearing her.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
mhopkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhopkins.html
Latest Review: Mark Twain and the Art of Swearing by Lyle Larsen

Post by mhopkins »

Their relationship was probably the best part of the book, but I thought the sacrifice thing was weird and not necessary. I did not feel any attachment to either person and was not sad about the sacrifice. I just felt like the author was trying to make it emotional, but I was not feeling it.
piplup45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

I was disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, the actions between the characters show they really do have a close bond and have a great relationship, but I found that it was completely skipped over in the book. Carly barely mentions her mom at all until she starts helping Adam to learn about his powers, but even at that she doesn’t talk about their relationship much at all.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I didn't think that she was sacrificing herself, but more like blending or becoming one with her-maybe to support her more and to be always with her. I thought it was really sweet and added to the feeling of love and closeness in the story
Especially since she also did not want to remain without her husband, which was also sweet
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I believe Dauma felt that her time on earth was limited and wanted to equip her daughter with greater power to protect herself, since she wont be around. It was a source of peace and comfort for her to now she gave her the best. Her own powers intertwined with hers thats every mothers dream. There is no greater love than a mothers.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 02:22 I thought the merge aspect was sudden and could have been worked into the story earlier and the concept explored more thoroughly.
I agree. Out of the entire cast, Dauma was high on my favorites list, and for her to suddenly introduce the idea of merging (and essentially "sacrificing" herself) with Carly, then doing exactly that in the same scene was too sudden.

The concept should have been introduced then worked into the story more naturally before the merging scne with Dauma. Even then, I feel like this sudden sacrifice is a bit of a waste of character potential.
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

I agree that I really loved the relationship between Carly and Dauma. I also thinks it makes sense that Dauma merger with Carly, as that was probably her plan all along. I mean, she's been alive for 300+ years, and had a lot of time to think about what makes sense to destroy the Iksha and that makes Carly into a superweapon for sure.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

The relationship between Carly and Dauma is one every mother should have with her child. It's a shame that Dauma lost her husband. I think that changed everything and probably the reason she sacrificed herself.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

Dauma and Carly's relationship was probably my favorite relationship in the book. I understand that Dauma completed the merge because she was grieving for her husband, because she wanted to protect her daughter, and because it seemed to be a generational tradition. At the same time, I did find it sudden, and it seemed to me that such a strong woman like Dauma would have been more help to her daughter by actually being present to share her wisdom. If the concept of merging was presented a bit earlier or if we had seen some of this through Dauma's point of view, this decision probably would have made more sense to me and probably also have the emotional impact it was intended to.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

I knew Dauma had something very important to contribute to the story but also I wanted to see an epic showdown between her and the Iksha. So I was bummed when she let herself coalesce in Carly despite the beautiful relationship that they had.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”