Carly and Dauma's Relationship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Carly and Dauma's Relationship

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I think Dauma knew that she had to sacrifice herself for all the havoc to end. I think she made a wise decision to live as a part of her daughter than dying.
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

Dauma and Carly had a close relationship. It was evident how much they loved each other, and Carly admired and respected her mother. As a mother, you would do whatever is necessary to help your daughter. Dauma's mother did the merge with Dauma. I believe it was a given that Dauma would do the same for Carly.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Mehwish Qaiser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehwish-qaiser.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Mehwish Qaiser »

I think Dauma shouldn't have made that sacrifice because every child needs their parents, With Carly's father being dead anyone would want the comfort of their mother, however though I understand that Dauma was thinking from the perspective that she isn't strong enough but her daughter can be. It must have been heartbreaking for Carly but now she and her mother are one so she hasn't essentially lost her, her mothers just inside her now :shock:
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

I loved how respectful the relationship between Carly and Dauma was. The love they had for each other was very evident, especially in comparison to Adam's family dynamic. I think Dauma's sacrifice isn't shocking. Any loving mother would do the same for their child, especially since Dauma knows her daughter will be better off with the accumulated knowledge they would have once merged.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I think it was too difficult for Dauma to survive without her husband and after establishing her bond with Adam, she knew he would take care of her more than his own life. So it, kind of, put her worries to rest and made her decision to merge with her daughter easier, as she knew when she had that nosebleed during the previous attack, it was a sign that she was getting weaker. Merging would have made Carly much more powerful, as her powers would be combined with Dauma's and would make killing the Iksha easier.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

My most favorite part of the book was Dauma and Carly for sure. Dauma is an incredible, independent and a very powerful woman and she has taught no less to Carly! They're epitome of a good mother and daughter relationship. I really enjoyed their scenes together and their merging was hands down the most beautiful thing I read in the entire book, it almost teared me up.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”