Carly and Dauma's Relationship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1177
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Re: Carly and Dauma's Relationship

Post by Howlan »

kaylahk17 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:55 I loved their close relationship. They were close but you could always sense the mother to daughter relationship never crossed into an equal friendship. This maintains that parents are the authority and they can be close but they are not supposed to be your friend. Dauma's wisdom did make it hard for me to imagine her youthful and I kept imagining her as an elderly mother imparting wisdom to her daughter.
True she was very strict but at the same time approachable. Her mentoring of Adam was enjoyable.
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1177
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

esp1975 wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 13:51 Carly and Dauma's relationship was my favorite thing in the book. I thought it was very well done. Having had a strong mother myself, I never saw abuse in their relationship. Carly recognized that her mother was powerful. That is very different from believing her mother would ever use her power against her.

And while I also, as an adult and parent, would have preferred to see Dauma remain and fight alongside her daughter, one of the standard tropes of young adult novels is that the adults are too oblivious, incompetent, or evil to help. Dauma was a caring and competent adult who could see the issues as plainly as the kids. For this to continue as a young adult novel, she could not continue as she was in the story. So for the purpose of the book, she had to go. This is why so many "heros" in young adult novels are orphans. Loving, caring adults don't make for a drama where the kids have to save the world.
This way, Carly has access to her mother's centuries of wisdom, but the fight is still going to be fought exclusively by the teenagers.
Yes, I totally understand your point of view and it makes sense but still her death could have been better portrayed like while saving Carly. Just making her die from emotional trauma was not justified.
nfdoughe
Posts: 182
Joined: 16 Nov 2019, 11:34
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think we still don't have all the facts on the implications of their merger. Dauma is supposedly this genius so I wouldn't assume she's done anything stupid. I do think it partly had something to do with her husband's death since she said it was painful to be without him. It's also something of their family tradition as she mentions her father merging with his mother and also merging with her. I thought it was an interesting part of the story. The consequences are probably not fully apparent yet.
User avatar
writestuff
Posts: 84
Joined: 16 Nov 2019, 02:38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

It was so 😢 sad. I was most upset about her death. Think it was a strategic move filled with love.
User avatar
cristinaro
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1708
Joined: 07 Jan 2018, 03:51
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 639
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro »

I could resonate with Dauma's decision if I accept her own explanation, that she could not live without her half. However, I don't think her action was an act of self-sacrifice. On the contrary, I would say that she abandoned her daughter when she needed her most.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
User avatar
Nym182
Posts: 770
Joined: 24 May 2019, 23:34
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 04:41 I could resonate with Dauma's decision if I accept her own explanation, that she could not live without her half. However, I don't think her action was an act of self-sacrifice. On the contrary, I would say that she abandoned her daughter when she needed her most.
I really think that Dauma would have been a much better asset to their cause if she had remained separate from Carly.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
User avatar
Nym182
Posts: 770
Joined: 24 May 2019, 23:34
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

writestuff wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 02:44 It was so 😢 sad. I was most upset about her death. Think it was a strategic move filled with love.
I do think that that was a well-intended move, but maybe one that she made too quickly...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
User avatar
Nym182
Posts: 770
Joined: 24 May 2019, 23:34
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

nfdoughe wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 11:38 I think we still don't have all the facts on the implications of their merger. Dauma is supposedly this genius so I wouldn't assume she's done anything stupid. I do think it partly had something to do with her husband's death since she said it was painful to be without him. It's also something of their family tradition as she mentions her father merging with his mother and also merging with her. I thought it was an interesting part of the story. The consequences are probably not fully apparent yet.
That is one thing I do find compelling about the merger... There has got to be at least some negative consequence from such a drastic move!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1177
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

nfdoughe wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 11:38 I think we still don't have all the facts on the implications of their merger. Dauma is supposedly this genius so I wouldn't assume she's done anything stupid. I do think it partly had something to do with her husband's death since she said it was painful to be without him. It's also something of their family tradition as she mentions her father merging with his mother and also merging with her. I thought it was an interesting part of the story. The consequences are probably not fully apparent yet.
Yes, its really something that is kept in the dar for a long time and the details are hazy.
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1177
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 04:41 I could resonate with Dauma's decision if I accept her own explanation, that she could not live without her half. However, I don't think her action was an act of self-sacrifice. On the contrary, I would say that she abandoned her daughter when she needed her most.
Yes, it felt the same to me when I read it. And I was surprised as it was immature move from Dauma who is shown as so wise.
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1177
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 13:09
cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 04:41 I could resonate with Dauma's decision if I accept her own explanation, that she could not live without her half. However, I don't think her action was an act of self-sacrifice. On the contrary, I would say that she abandoned her daughter when she needed her most.
I really think that Dauma would have been a much better asset to their cause if she had remained separate from Carly.
Yes, she could continue to mentor Adam a bit more. He needs it. I loved the way she handles him
Browlyns
Posts: 143
Joined: 11 Oct 2018, 06:06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

You must remember that Dauma had lived for three hundred years hence, she was weakening, the only option was for her to empower her daughter as preparation for what was to come.
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1177
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Browlyns wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 17:38 You must remember that Dauma had lived for three hundred years hence, she was weakening, the only option was for her to empower her daughter as preparation for what was to come.
Yes, she has lived long and these children might need her wisdom for the upcoming war with the Iksha.
User avatar
OfficialEmma
Posts: 101
Joined: 31 Dec 2019, 08:40
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

KDJ wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 17:34 I kind of think that all mothers would do that. In this particular situation, she was also so distraught over her husband's murder that I think when she used too much energy to kill the militants, she may have been trying to commit suicide. That's just what I think. What better way to leave your daughter with generations of insight and power, so she can continue to fight the Iksha. :D :D :D
You are right. I thought so too. Even though she was trying to protect Carly, she might also have wanted to die because of her husband's murder. I think she was overwhelmed with emotions at that moment.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
User avatar
diamonnd
Posts: 90
Joined: 04 Aug 2019, 23:57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

Browlyns wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 17:38 You must remember that Dauma had lived for three hundred years hence, she was weakening, the only option was for her to empower her daughter as preparation for what was to come.
I agree that it was a necessary action, however the concept of becoming one felt very sudden and it wasn't fair to Carly to have that thrust upon her so suddenly without any chance of discussion or having questions answered.
Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”