Twists and turns [SPOILERS]

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Tigereetiger2010
Currently Reading: A Child Called "It"
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigereetiger2010.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Re: Twists and turns [SPOILERS]

Post by Tigereetiger2010 »

Has anyone else picked up the 2nd book yet? Spoiler alert: It's about the same as the first book as far as grammar and other mistakes. As well as the big major twists turned into koombya garbage where any normal person synced or not with another human being would borderline kick the crap out of their significant other for. It's a decent read much like the first but I am only halfway through it, things are being resolved that weren't in the first but the Carly and Adam dynamic is even worse. He does or thinks something disgusting and a few other things that I will not spoil for those who haven't read through and then Carly finds out and is upset for less than a millisecond only to forgive him and basically tell him its ok... Typical teenagers maybe but it still pisses me off that for as "grown-up" they are in their lives they sure are stupid.
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I liked the book overall, but I feel like there were too many twists and turns. It does make the book interesting, however, I feel like there in no lull in the story besides the beginning. I wish the story was a bit more slower-paced.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Tigereetiger2010 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 15:40 Has anyone else picked up the 2nd book yet? Spoiler alert: It's about the same as the first book as far as grammar and other mistakes. As well as the big major twists turned into koombya garbage where any normal person synced or not with another human being would borderline kick the crap out of their significant other for. It's a decent read much like the first but I am only halfway through it, things are being resolved that weren't in the first but the Carly and Adam dynamic is even worse. He does or thinks something disgusting and a few other things that I will not spoil for those who haven't read through and then Carly finds out and is upset for less than a millisecond only to forgive him and basically tell him its ok... Typical teenagers maybe but it still pisses me off that for as "grown-up" they are in their lives they sure are stupid.
Yes I have stared the next book and Adam's temper is back again.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 15:13
kaylahk17 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:43 I actually felt the Vikki twist coming to an extent. The more Adam and Carly just knew for some reason they couldnt trust her I figured she was involved. I thought she would be a descendant working for Iksha though, so her age and who her father was did really surprise me.
They did really put a spotlight on her... It could have been a bit more subtle in my opinion, instead of her just brazenly obsessed with Adam.
Yes, she had the spy thing right on the money.
Tigereetiger2010

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:41
Tigereetiger2010 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 15:40 Has anyone else picked up the 2nd book yet? Spoiler alert: It's about the same as the first book as far as grammar and other mistakes. As well as the big major twists turned into koombya garbage where any normal person synced or not with another human being would borderline kick the crap out of their significant other for. It's a decent read much like the first but I am only halfway through it, things are being resolved that weren't in the first but the Carly and Adam dynamic is even worse. He does or thinks something disgusting and a few other things that I will not spoil for those who haven't read through and then Carly finds out and is upset for less than a millisecond only to forgive him and basically tell him its ok... Typical teenagers maybe but it still pisses me off that for as "grown-up" they are in their lives they sure are stupid.
Halfway through and its still just all over the place.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Tigereetiger2010 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:36
Yeah I sympathasize with you.
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

I thought Adam’s obsession with his mother being from a serum worked well. It changed my outlook on Adam a fair bit (it would have been completely if it wasn’t for poor Terry). I was confused about his mother for the longest time...step-mother?...no..married an older man?...no..descendant?..no...good skin cream?...no...and then it all made sense.
“You know, for kids!”
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 21:15 I think Alexandra being a part of the Iksha and Dylan also being a part of the Iksha really surprised me.

Vikki wasn’t a huge surprise-she was a twist for sure, but Carly has known something was off about her from the beginning and had seen her as a threat.

Adam’s origin was shocking too, just not as shocking as his mother and brother being with the enemy.
I agree, Adam’s mother and surprising twin was the most surprising. It was kind of disappointing that it was only mentioned very little. It would be interesting to see a confrontation between Dylan, the twin, and Adam.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

Waldorf wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 17:08 I thought Adam’s obsession with his mother being from a serum worked well. It changed my outlook on Adam a fair bit (it would have been completely if it wasn’t for poor Terry). I was confused about his mother for the longest time...step-mother?...no..married an older man?...no..descendant?..no...good skin cream?...no...and then it all made sense.
Yes, that little bit of information about the serum was a good calming surprise. I was thankful it had something to do with the serum and it not actually being a romantic relationship between mother and son.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think I was the most shocked right at the beginning when Adam confesses he's in love with his mother. That's just a level of NO that I never shook off. Even when it was because of the serum, I was still a little creeped out. I figured from the start that Adam was supposed to be the "good guy," but I couldn't get over the mother or the Terry thing.

There were a few places where I was surprised, like when his dad was the hostage even though that made no sense. Or when his mother was still alive and with Iksha.
Tigereetiger2010

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 11:46
Tigereetiger2010 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:36

Yeah I sympathasize with you.
I finished the 2nd book and I must say I felt it was layered better and a little less chaotic, but I am still not convinced this book is the best thing since sliced bread. I also am still not convinced that the book is worse than finding flaming dog crap on your porch. I understand both sides of the spectrum though as I am left still teetering that thin line of if I hate it or like it. I certainly do not love it hence my review of the first book. Welcome to check out my personal review and see what you think from my perspective.
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

I wasn't invested enough in this book for any of the twists to shock me. it was like "Adam, you have a twin. He's evil" Meh. No more mention of him. "Vikki is actually a spy for Iksha and she's over 30 years old" uh huh, and? Then the part about Alexandra still being alive and now being with the Iksha. i was like "why?"
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by mama_ash »

Adam's biological mother still being alive shocked me the most! Not to mention his twin!
Tigereetiger2010

Jezebelle84 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 14:20 I wasn't invested enough in this book for any of the twists to shock me. it was like "Adam, you have a twin. He's evil" Meh. No more mention of him. "Vikki is actually a spy for Iksha and she's over 30 years old" uh huh, and? Then the part about Alexandra still being alive and now being with the Iksha. i was like "why?"
second book explains a lot of these things in a lot more detail.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I didn't expect Terry to die or Dauma to merge with Carly. More likely, I expected a confrontation between Adam and his twin brother, but there will probably be one in the sequel.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”