Adam and Carly relatable?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: Adam and Carly relatable?

Post by Nym182 »

leiabutler wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 06:27 Yes I do find it a little outside of reality, but as you say because it is a fantasy genre, I can allow some of it to slide. I with they had have been a little more relatable and felt more real as young people but in the grand scheme of how it affects the novel, I don't think this is too major an issue
I get what you are saying but personally it makes it harder to read a book when I don't care about/hate the characters.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

CYSON DOROPH wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 06:47 Both are similar because they are teenagers studying the same subjects. Adam is an introvert, but Carly is an extravert. If Adam remains snobbish, an apocalypse may be inevitable. If Carly is able to relate with Adam in a more intergrated way, a more polished character is what we may witness in the coming books of the series.
I don't think there is any way to polish that turd of a character, Adam :lol2:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 07:32
leiabutler wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 06:27 Yes I do find it a little outside of reality, but as you say because it is a fantasy genre, I can allow some of it to slide. I with they had have been a little more relatable and felt more real as young people but in the grand scheme of how it affects the novel, I don't think this is too major an issue
Yes totally for fantasy YA it is the duty of the authors to go and make it as relatable as possible.
I agree... I might even argue that should be the goal of the author... to take character, matter how outlandish they are, be it aliens, robots or teenagers, and get their readers to care about them.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 07:35
CYSON DOROPH wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 06:47 Both are similar because they are teenagers studying the same subjects. Adam is an introvert, but Carly is an extravert. If Adam remains snobbish, an apocalypse may be inevitable. If Carly is able to relate with Adam in a more intergrated way, a more polished character is what we may witness in the coming books of the series.
The story is stereotypical of a YA series. The only unique thing is Adam's dark tastes in life.
I agree. It's like X-men meets Patrick Bateman.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Tan TR wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:44 It wasn’t at all relatable. They were teens, barely fifteen or sixteen, and they acted like ten years older. I guess, it’s a fantasy world where anything is possible. But honestly it was not relatable.
Agreed! And yeah, it is a fantasy but I think there are still some rules that need to be followed. They are teenagers so they should act like teenagers.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:25
Howlan wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 07:32
Yes totally for fantasy YA it is the duty of the authors to go and make it as relatable as possible.
I agree... I might even argue that should be the goal of the author... to take character, matter how outlandish they are, be it aliens, robots or teenagers, and get their readers to care about them.

Thank you! I have read a book about soldiers that turn into demons rediscovering their emotions and I still related to them way better! They felt like people, not caricatures of characters. I suppose them showing actual care to one another and not sure if they should even be fighting felt like human reactions. Even better, it had similarly dark themes!

It doesn't matter if you hate or love a character but you must care in some way what happens to them. If the reader is apathetic or neutral to everyone then I believe the author failed.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Tan TR wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:44 It wasn’t at all relatable. They were teens, barely fifteen or sixteen, and they acted like ten years older. I guess, it’s a fantasy world where anything is possible. But honestly it was not relatable.
Yes, I understand where it came from.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:55
Drakka Reader wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:23 I don't think they are that relatable on the basis that arguments are forgiven quickly and the strange lusting after relatives Adam has. It just feels the author wanted them to be as extreme as possible but also "perfect".
You've nailed it right on the head!
Yes it was a great way to depict that the author is asking for the impossible.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:58
gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:32
Jezebelle84 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:22

I didn't care about any of the characters either. The point of view this book is told in made me feel very detached from the story and characters.
Entirely agreed. How can be expected to resonate and connect with a psychopath who wants to bang his own mom, kidnaps and chloroforms a girl, owns a damn sex dungeon and perhaps is emotionally abusive to his girlfriend. I thought he was such a little child who treated people in his life like total crap, and yet was never held accountable for his actions, and throws temper tantrums all the damn time. He annoyed the hell out of me, he's so exhausting and infuriating to read about.
And, correct me if I am wrong, Adam never found out that Carly burned the den down yet he just never thinks about it. I am not surprised he doesn't feel guilty about it, but to just completely forget about Terry and all the plans he made? Chilling.
Yes, Carly's behavior surprises me very much!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:00
gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:33
Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:31

Ditto! I didn't really care what happened to any of them... Well, actually the only character I cared about was Terry haha but that obviously didn't turn out so well...
YES! Terry! Justice for Terry! And her poor parents-- find out Adam basically committed manslaughter, and throw that piece of trash in JAIL. He's awful and has too many issues, and love will not fix him, so Carly needs to get the hell out of dodge and save herself!
At this point, they still think that she is just missing right? They will never know the full story or have any peace... How sad...
Reminds me of Stranger Things Nancy's friend Barb, Her parents never got closure either.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:03
gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:35
ccundall2130 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 16:57

As a parent of two teenagers, I completely agree with this view! And it makes me chuckle because I think my teenagers are pretty normal. I guess it is a fantasy and some allowances need to be made for that. But, when it's their night to cook, they mix hamburger with mac'n cheese and that's after they both took cooking in high school. :lol:
Alos hard to relate with a dude who has a sex/torture den in the woods and wants to bang his mom... I really could not deal with the fact that Carly was like, "Yeah sure, ain't no thing". GIRL, RUN. Get yourself out of there! Don't destroy the evidence of the murder, take that sh*t to the police!
Agreed! and her saying that he deserves a fresh start... DESERVES! She is literally standing in his torture den, sees his mom shrine, has his journal confirming what should be someone's worst fear, and somehow ends up feeling bad for Adam. I just can't even.
Yes ironically Carly is herself standing in the way of Adam having a fresh start. Because if she had confronted him and made him feel guilty about it, he could have gotten that start.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:04
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:53
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 15:02

The only thing I can cook expertly (although, I'm a little biased hahah) is bacon bruschetta :cooking:
Sounds fabulous! I can cook well only proper chicken.
I don't think I've ever made chicken before haha unless you count in nugget form!
I think that should count!!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:05
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:01
ccundall2130 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 15:25

I love the point you are making. I don't think I normally focus on the age of the protagonists, but for some reason, I did in this book. The big picture is definitely worth more than age-related concerns.
Yes, the characters are really odd in terms of their age!
Agreed!
That is quite literally. Considering a 30-year-old faking to be a haughty cheerleader.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:08
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:11
ccundall2130 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 15:44

You have a good point. The character flow of the story is definitely quite valuable in comparison to other elements in a story. It is very distracting if a character changes from one chapter or event to another.
Yes, I definitely understand the distracting aspect. Adam and Carly do sound less believable. Adam is really a rebellious kid gone on steroids and Carly sounds like a model student who feels odd and mentally and emotionally.
And I also found it strange that Adam plays football for some reason... I know he justifies it but they also never bring it up again after he hits Carly in the face with a football at practice. It's like once the author gets what they need out of a character or scenario, they just drop it.
Yeah good point. That scene felt real normal considering what was going on at that point.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:09
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:15
Drakka Reader wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:23 I don't think they are that relatable on the basis that arguments are forgiven quickly and the strange lusting after relatives Adam has. It just feels the author wanted them to be as extreme as possible but also "perfect".
Yes, not a story to be proud of..
I felt the same way, especially since they were high schoolers. I don't care that they have special powers, but high schoolers are not mature and understanding.
Yes, there are exceptions, but Adam and Carly are no exceptions.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”