Adam and Carly relatable?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Post Reply
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1185
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Re: Adam and Carly relatable?

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:16
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:21
gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:32

Entirely agreed. How can be expected to resonate and connect with a psychopath who wants to bang his own mom, kidnaps and chloroforms a girl, owns a damn sex dungeon and perhaps is emotionally abusive to his girlfriend. I thought he was such a little child who treated people in his life like total crap, and yet was never held accountable for his actions, and throws temper tantrums all the damn time. He annoyed the hell out of me, he's so exhausting and infuriating to read about.
Yeah, the author really overdid he job on Adam.
Agreed!
And that really made quite a mess of the character.
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1185
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:18
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:24
gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:33

YES! Terry! Justice for Terry! And her poor parents-- find out Adam basically committed manslaughter, and throw that piece of trash in JAIL. He's awful and has too many issues, and love will not fix him, so Carly needs to get the hell out of dodge and save herself!
The character of Adam is very badly handled. Its half-assed. It is neither full dark and or sparky. It does not make a good character.
yeah, the author really dropped that ball...
dropped it really hard.
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1185
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:19
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:28
gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:35

Alos hard to relate with a dude who has a sex/torture den in the woods and wants to bang his mom... I really could not deal with the fact that Carly was like, "Yeah sure, ain't no thing". GIRL, RUN. Get yourself out of there! Don't destroy the evidence of the murder, take that sh*t to the police!

Yes, Carly should not have burned the evidence. how could she remain sane after discovering Adam's sex den??
Exactly, that should be someone's worst nightmare.
And Carly is like "duh! no big deal"
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1185
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:21
leiabutler wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 06:27 Yes I do find it a little outside of reality, but as you say because it is a fantasy genre, I can allow some of it to slide. I with they had have been a little more relatable and felt more real as young people but in the grand scheme of how it affects the novel, I don't think this is too major an issue
I get what you are saying but personally it makes it harder to read a book when I don't care about/hate the characters.
Agreed!
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1185
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:23
CYSON DOROPH wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 06:47 Both are similar because they are teenagers studying the same subjects. Adam is an introvert, but Carly is an extravert. If Adam remains snobbish, an apocalypse may be inevitable. If Carly is able to relate with Adam in a more intergrated way, a more polished character is what we may witness in the coming books of the series.
I don't think there is any way to polish that turd of a character, Adam :lol2:
He kind of needs some big shock to fix. Probably in regular doses.
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1185
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:25
Howlan wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 07:32
leiabutler wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 06:27 Yes I do find it a little outside of reality, but as you say because it is a fantasy genre, I can allow some of it to slide. I with they had have been a little more relatable and felt more real as young people but in the grand scheme of how it affects the novel, I don't think this is too major an issue
Yes totally for fantasy YA it is the duty of the authors to go and make it as relatable as possible.
I agree... I might even argue that should be the goal of the author... to take character, matter how outlandish they are, be it aliens, robots or teenagers, and get their readers to care about them.
Such characters are really hard to invest in.
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1185
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:26
Howlan wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 07:35
CYSON DOROPH wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 06:47 Both are similar because they are teenagers studying the same subjects. Adam is an introvert, but Carly is an extravert. If Adam remains snobbish, an apocalypse may be inevitable. If Carly is able to relate with Adam in a more intergrated way, a more polished character is what we may witness in the coming books of the series.
The story is stereotypical of a YA series. The only unique thing is Adam's dark tastes in life.
I agree. It's like X-men meets Patrick Bateman.
Or "X-teens goes twilight"
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1185
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:28
Tan TR wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:44 It wasn’t at all relatable. They were teens, barely fifteen or sixteen, and they acted like ten years older. I guess, it’s a fantasy world where anything is possible. But honestly it was not relatable.
Agreed! And yeah, it is a fantasy but I think there are still some rules that need to be followed. They are teenagers so they should act like teenagers.
Or at least keep them from being potential rapists.
User avatar
Howlan
Posts: 1185
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 08:15
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: A Grim Light Rising by Joseph Burgo

Post by Howlan »

Drakka Reader wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 13:29
Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:25
Howlan wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 07:32

Yes totally for fantasy YA it is the duty of the authors to go and make it as relatable as possible.
I agree... I might even argue that should be the goal of the author... to take character, matter how outlandish they are, be it aliens, robots or teenagers, and get their readers to care about them.

Thank you! I have read a book about soldiers that turn into demons rediscovering their emotions and I still related to them way better! They felt like people, not caricatures of characters. I suppose them showing actual care to one another and not sure if they should even be fighting felt like human reactions. Even better, it had similarly dark themes!

It doesn't matter if you hate or love a character but you must care in some way what happens to them. If the reader is apathetic or neutral to everyone then I believe the author failed.
Yeah I totally get what you are saying. I read a story about people who are intelligent ghouls and related to their story a lot better.
User avatar
La Loca Designs
Posts: 39
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 18:06
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 15:10 Not really... any time they had a disagreement or issue with each other (or other characters) they possessed an unnatural understanding of others feelings and pretty much everyone was forgiven instantly... considering that they are teenagers, I didn't really relate to that at all... When I was a teenager I was never so understanding and more prone to hold a grudge for longer than 10 mins
I completely agree with you. I couldn't believe how quickly Carly moved past the fact that her boyfriend had a secret sex-torture-shack and had kidnapped and killed a woman.
User avatar
La Loca Designs
Posts: 39
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 18:06
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

rbrochhausen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:53 I think they are relatable in a sense of saving their kind. On a non-mutant standpoint, it's hard to belief that teenagers would have such proper grammar and cook elaborate meals.
I completely agree. Some of their word choices made them totally unbelievable as teenagers. I am a high school teacher and I have never heard kids speak like Carly and Adam.
User avatar
gilliansisley
Posts: 116
Joined: 03 Feb 2020, 15:26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:03
gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:35
ccundall2130 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 16:57

As a parent of two teenagers, I completely agree with this view! And it makes me chuckle because I think my teenagers are pretty normal. I guess it is a fantasy and some allowances need to be made for that. But, when it's their night to cook, they mix hamburger with mac'n cheese and that's after they both took cooking in high school. :lol:
Alos hard to relate with a dude who has a sex/torture den in the woods and wants to bang his mom... I really could not deal with the fact that Carly was like, "Yeah sure, ain't no thing". GIRL, RUN. Get yourself out of there! Don't destroy the evidence of the murder, take that sh*t to the police!
Agreed! and her saying that he deserves a fresh start... DESERVES! She is literally standing in his torture den, sees his mom shrine, has his journal confirming what should be someone's worst fear, and somehow ends up feeling bad for Adam. I just can't even.
YES! She just worships him, and her rose coloured glasses are SO thick that he could kill her and from the other side she'd be like, "Poor Adam... such a good guy." Makes me feel gross.
User avatar
gilliansisley
Posts: 116
Joined: 03 Feb 2020, 15:26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 11:00
gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:33
Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:31

Ditto! I didn't really care what happened to any of them... Well, actually the only character I cared about was Terry haha but that obviously didn't turn out so well...
YES! Terry! Justice for Terry! And her poor parents-- find out Adam basically committed manslaughter, and throw that piece of trash in JAIL. He's awful and has too many issues, and love will not fix him, so Carly needs to get the hell out of dodge and save herself!
At this point, they still think that she is just missing right? They will never know the full story or have any peace... How sad...
Nope. There's no closure for the family. They will never know what happened, because Carly destroyed all the evidence. "NBD my boyfriend just ruined the lives of many people, including the woman he MURDERED, but we're in love and we're going to save the world, it's gonna be great!"
piplup45
Posts: 31
Joined: 11 Mar 2020, 11:00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

I didn’t find the characters relatable at all. It isn’t just the super powers, I found it to be so full of angst and just horny and disgusting beyond anyone I knew when I was a teen.
User avatar
Bookreviwer2020
Posts: 346
Joined: 16 Mar 2020, 08:18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I don't think that age has anything to do with it, people are dealing with different issues at different ages all the time. I guess only the way people deal with things is different.
Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”