father

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: father

Post by Nym182 »

kdstrack wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 12:24 It was actually Jocelyn (Eastman's) comment about the author "taking the easy way out," that made me consider this possibility. After all, most of the characters seem to have some kind of power. Jo was "given" a special ability. Is there something we don't know - yet - about Adam's father?? (Thank you Jocelyn for that insight!!)
Hmmm, that's an interesting thought...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 21:01
Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 16:00 I thought that her lack of control made her a more interesting character - it's nice to know that someone perceived as being so powerful and being a leader could have flaws too!
I agree with this. Dauma was a badass, that's for sure. And her lack of control added a bit of dimension to her character.
Made her much more relatable and realistic!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 21:04
Howlan wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 09:19
Nym182 wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 13:55

I also felt that his death/character was treated very harshly... Especially considering he wasn't involved with the bond between Jo and Adam... That really could have made him feel left out, (which Adams distaste for him didn't help) which could have lead to his cheating... (obviously I am not condoning what he did) I just kinda felt his character was created just for adam to hate and that's it... his character could have been developed a bit more... I think it would have been interesting if Adam had a decent relationship with him That would have caused more turmoil within adam after finding out that he cheating on his mom. Instead, his cheating just proved Adam right.
Yes, when finally Adam came to his senses and thought that he needs to deal properly with his father, he was killed off. The author wasted a huge subplot to carelessly killing Adam's father.
That's a good point. There was a chance for Adam to develop as a character, and that opportunity was essentially stolen from him.
Just one more thing done TO Adam to make the reader more sympathetic to him?
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 11:47

Yes, when finally Adam came to his senses and thought that he needs to deal properly with his father, he was killed off. The author wasted a huge subplot to carelessly killing Adam's father.
That's a good point. There was a chance for Adam to develop as a character, and that opportunity was essentially stolen from him.
I guess? Look, over there, an opportunity for Adam to not accept responsibility for his actions or role in something? GREAT! Quickly, where's my victim card!?
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 12:13
kdstrack wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 23:39 I am wondering at what point Dauma realized that the captive was Adam's father?? Everyone just accepted her word (that the captive was Adam's father) when the only evidence was a skeleton on the truck.
That's a really interesting point!
Yes, Dauma may have guessed that before but kept up her hope in the beginning.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

kdstrack wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 12:24 It was actually Jocelyn (Eastman's) comment about the author "taking the easy way out," that made me consider this possibility. After all, most of the characters seem to have some kind of power. Jo was "given" a special ability. Is there something we don't know - yet - about Adam's father?? (Thank you Jocelyn for that insight!!)
From what we know Adam's father does not have any powers but who knows? The author could add a twist.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 11:45
Hmmm, that's an interesting thought...
Yes a great insight on the story.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 11:46
gilliansisley wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 21:01
Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 16:00 I thought that her lack of control made her a more interesting character - it's nice to know that someone perceived as being so powerful and being a leader could have flaws too!
I agree with this. Dauma was a badass, that's for sure. And her lack of control added a bit of dimension to her character.
Made her much more relatable and realistic!
And showed how much she cared for her family despite her stern exterior!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

But Adam didnt dwell on him for long. He had no huge character developments at all.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:07

I guess? Look, over there, an opportunity for Adam to not accept responsibility for his actions or role in something? GREAT! Quickly, where's my victim card!?
Haha right on the mark!
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Power without control is very disastrous. Although I feel like Adam father's death was a bit harsh as he was not been loved by JoAnn and Adam too.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Orizon wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 03:09 Power without control is very disastrous. Although I feel like Adam father's death was a bit harsh as he was not been loved by JoAnn and Adam too.
Yes I really feel for Mark as a character.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:07

Must have left it in the den :lol2: :lol2:
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:39
Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 12:13
kdstrack wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 23:39 I am wondering at what point Dauma realized that the captive was Adam's father?? Everyone just accepted her word (that the captive was Adam's father) when the only evidence was a skeleton on the truck.
That's a really interesting point!
Yes, Dauma may have guessed that before but kept up her hope in the beginning.
True!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:42
From what we know Adam's father does not have any powers but who knows? The author could add a twist.
I would think so as I assume he's part of the Wit family.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”