father

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Joshuaomollo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshuaomollo.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Re: father

Post by Joshuaomollo »

Surely Dauma should have handled this better.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I think Dauma should've done more to save Adam's dad, the fact that she lost control of her powers when she was one of the strongest and oldest of the bunch made no sense to me.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

[amazon=][/amazon]
sursangeet_2000 wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 21:05 Grief can do that to you. Drive you totally insane to the point of being destructive. No matter how strong a person you are, the thought of losing a loved one can turn you in to anything. I felt so sad for Dauma! The author covered quite a range of emotions.
Yeah, I have a same opinion on that. It made me question the character of Dauma at few moments but I understood after a bit.
Jeanht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanht.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Jeanht »

Dauma's lack of control over her emotions and power in this particular situation made her quite a realistic character,well a realistic character with mutated genes.
At this point in the story, she was already heartbroken over the death of her husband, and the only thought in her mind must have been to inflict as much pain as possible on her enemies. This definitely leads to a scenario of lack of control.
As for her leadership skills, she was powerful but not the lead of the committee of descendents.
In fact this could have been her first time as the lead in battle since the Descendents and Ikshas have never engaged in direct attacks.
Reubeney
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by Reubeney »

I think it was purely not done intentionally but driven by her emotions.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Alicer wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 00:28 Dauna did not intend to kill Adam's father. He died because he came out of the truck otherwise he would have survived. She didn't tell Adam that the hostage was his father because he would have been emotional and might have failed to protect others who accompanied them to the battle causing their deaths. To be fair it only shows that everyone can be emotional and make drastic choices even a leader.
Exactly. I think his father must have been in a panic (understandably) and was trying to escape. Dauma did her best to protect the hostage. She even said that, "It is someone who deserves to live" (p. 481), so I think she already knew who it was at that point in time and already decided on doing the best she could to be able to protect him. I think it was ultimately just an accident. She set him up so that he wouldn't get hurt, but there was a miscalculation when he tried to get out of the truck.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

sirbobthewise wrote: 18 May 2020, 06:11
Alicer wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 00:28 Dauna did not intend to kill Adam's father. He died because he came out of the truck otherwise he would have survived. She didn't tell Adam that the hostage was his father because he would have been emotional and might have failed to protect others who accompanied them to the battle causing their deaths. To be fair it only shows that everyone can be emotional and make drastic choices even a leader.
Exactly. I think his father must have been in a panic (understandably) and was trying to escape. Dauma did her best to protect the hostage. She even said that, "It is someone who deserves to live" (p. 481), so I think she already knew who it was at that point in time and already decided on doing the best she could to be able to protect him. I think it was ultimately just an accident. She set him up so that he wouldn't get hurt, but there was a miscalculation when he tried to get out of the truck.
I agree. I think she did what she could to save him, given the circumstances. It was unfortunate that he stood up at that moment when she unleashed her power. I also don't think it's a sign that she wasn't in control of her power since Vicki was also in the truck bed and remained unharmed.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

She already knew that her husband was not the hostage but she did try to protect the hostage by levitating him into the pickup truck. As his face was covered with the hood, so he couldn't see and he chose the wrong moment to stand up which caused him to die due to Dauma's scream.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

I do feel like she could've done way better than that.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”