father

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Samantha Shinn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-shinn.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

father

Post by Samantha Shinn »

The fact that Adam's father was killed when everyone believed that it was Dauma's husband shook me. I wonder why Dauma did not do anything to stop it. What do you guys think? Is she selfish? or was it unstoppable? Do you think she should have had better control of her emotions and power? I thought, as the leader, she would have much better control. What do you think?
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I thought she would have better control of her power also. However, she didn't know at the time if her husband was alive or dead; if that was him, would they release him? We show signs of grief in any situation of loss or potential loss, and anger is one of the five signs of grief. I think she just became overwhelmed with the stress of it all, somehow sensed it wasn't her husband, and spun out of control. She didn't set out to kill anyone, and I don't believe it was out of selfishness, I just think she fought hard to win the battle and there were consequences! :shock2:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Grief can do that to you. Drive you totally insane to the point of being destructive. No matter how strong a person you are, the thought of losing a loved one can turn you in to anything. I felt so sad for Dauma! The author covered quite a range of emotions.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I thought that her lack of control made her a more interesting character - it's nice to know that someone perceived as being so powerful and being a leader could have flaws too!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Mark seemed like a weak character (his cheating and gaslighting his wife) but I thought his death was a bit harsh. Perhaps it was supposed to illustrate that Adam had gained the ability to feel remorse, even about the death of a person whom he had a contentious relationship with.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 19:39 Mark seemed like a weak character (his cheating and gaslighting his wife) but I thought his death was a bit harsh. Perhaps it was supposed to illustrate that Adam had gained the ability to feel remorse, even about the death of a person whom he had a contentious relationship with.
I also felt that his death/character was treated very harshly... Especially considering he wasn't involved with the bond between Jo and Adam... That really could have made him feel left out, (which Adams distaste for him didn't help) which could have lead to his cheating... (obviously I am not condoning what he did) I just kinda felt his character was created just for adam to hate and that's it... his character could have been developed a bit more... I think it would have been interesting if Adam had a decent relationship with him That would have caused more turmoil within adam after finding out that he cheating on his mom. Instead, his cheating just proved Adam right.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

I think Dauma though a powerful character was deeply in stress. With the Descendants council and her kidnapped husband she had much to worry about. Besides that deep in her heart, she somehow knew that her husband was dead. When she saw Adam's father as a hostage her worst suspicions became true and she went out of control out of grief.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 13:55
ciecheesemeister wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 19:39 Mark seemed like a weak character (his cheating and gaslighting his wife) but I thought his death was a bit harsh. Perhaps it was supposed to illustrate that Adam had gained the ability to feel remorse, even about the death of a person whom he had a contentious relationship with.
I also felt that his death/character was treated very harshly... Especially considering he wasn't involved with the bond between Jo and Adam... That really could have made him feel left out, (which Adams distaste for him didn't help) which could have lead to his cheating... (obviously I am not condoning what he did) I just kinda felt his character was created just for adam to hate and that's it... his character could have been developed a bit more... I think it would have been interesting if Adam had a decent relationship with him That would have caused more turmoil within adam after finding out that he cheating on his mom. Instead, his cheating just proved Adam right.
Yes, when finally Adam came to his senses and thought that he needs to deal properly with his father, he was killed off. The author wasted a huge subplot to carelessly killing Adam's father.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

I think she was careful and sincere. She tried enough to protect the hostage even after knowing it was not her husband. It was an accident that he died.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I thought the death of Mark was unexpected, I really didn't see any point of killing him off because by that point Adam and Jo didn't like him.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Ria710 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 19:52 I thought the death of Mark was unexpected, I really didn't see any point of killing him off because by that point Adam and Jo didn't like him.
It seemed like the only reason for killing him was to give Adam something to feel regret about... maybe trying to show how much he has changed?

I wasn't a fan of it though...
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I agree with what everyone is saying. She couldn't control her emotions...
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Ria710 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 19:52 I thought the death of Mark was unexpected, I really didn't see any point of killing him off because by that point Adam and Jo didn't like him.
Yes, there was absolutely no point in Adam's father dying and I can't understand his point. It was shown time and Again that Adam's father loved him but in spite of that he was killed off like an unused potential.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

corinaelena wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:11 I agree with what everyone is saying. She couldn't control her emotions...
She was suicidal from that point onwards.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 03:39
corinaelena wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:11 I agree with what everyone is saying. She couldn't control her emotions...
She was suicidal from that point onwards.
I actually like the way the emotional life ia tackled in this book. You can tell the author has some knowledge on the issue

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”