Deaths

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Tchrjokes456
Currently Reading: Night Angel
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tchrjokes456.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Deaths

Post by Tchrjokes456 »

*SPOILERS*
What did you think about the deaths of Carly's and Adam's fathers? Did you find them too convenient to the story progression? Where they necessary or unnecessary?

I thought the timing of Carly's dad's death was a convenient catalyst to Dauma merging with Carly., but he wasn't really given justice as a character or in his death. I hope his death is really a diversion, and he reappears later. What are your thoughts?
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Tchrjokes456 wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 21:20 *SPOILERS*
What did you think about the deaths of Carly's and Adam's fathers? Did you find them too convenient to the story progression? Where they necessary or unnecessary?

I thought the timing of Carly's dad's death was a convenient catalyst to Dauma merging with Carly., but he wasn't really given justice as a character or in his death. I hope his death is really a diversion, and he reappears later. What are your thoughts?
Definitely. The death of Adam's father was totally unnecessary and ruined what would have great character development in Adam's part. Now that he does not hate his father in that way, it would have been worth it to see if he would forgive him or not since he had an affair.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I am not overly surprised that Adams father was killed off. They mention he only had one sparkling white diamond in him. Since Adam decided to not hate him any longer, there was the potential of forgiving him the hurt he caused JoAnna. On the other hand, I was not expecting Carly's father to be killed. It makes since looking back on it. It most likely was just Dauma's catalyst. But not many survived or escaped being captured by the Iksha. :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I was surprised Carly's father was killed off. I was hoping he would escape. You're right his character wasn't given much attention, and with the power Carly and her mother had I was hoping to see a strong family all around! I didn't want Adam's father to be killed off either, especially when Adam was ready to have a relationship with him again. I hope both of them are miraculously brought back in the next book!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Since he was a villain it would be a good to keep him around for the next book...and plotline development.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

Howlan wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 00:14

Definitely. The death of Adam's father was totally unnecessary and ruined what would have great character development in Adam's part. Now that he does not hate his father in that way, it would have been worth it to see if he would forgive him or not since he had an affair.
I agree that this event cheated Adam’s character. There was huge potential and it was just swept away by convenience.

I completely felt it was an easy way to add action and tie up loose ends without really accomplishing anything.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

KDJ wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 15:45 I am not overly surprised that Adams father was killed off. They mention he only had one sparkling white diamond in him. Since Adam decided to not hate him any longer, there was the potential of forgiving him the hurt he caused JoAnna. On the other hand, I was not expecting Carly's father to be killed. It makes since looking back on it. It most likely was just Dauma's catalyst. But not many survived or escaped being captured by the Iksha. :D
I thought Adam'a father would be a weak point for him later in the series and did not expect the Ilaha to use him too soon.
Also the Iksha kiiling off Carly's father really shows they mean real business.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

vermontelf wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 22:08
Howlan wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 00:14

I agree that this event cheated Adam’s character. There was huge potential and it was just swept away by convenience.

I completely felt it was an easy way to add action and tie up loose ends without really accomplishing anything.
Yes and the Iksha showed that they were really serious in their dealings
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I thought it was a plot device when it came to Carly’s father but a plot convenience when it came to Adam’s father.

I think Adam’s father could have been used in a better way later on but it was just easier to tie up a loose end.

On the other hand, without the disappearance of Carly’s father, the second half of the book basically doesn’t exist.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

His father's death seemed convenient but he could have added much more to the story.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

I think there is more to the story about their death. The sequel might elaborate on that, at least i hope. I was really looking forward to know about Carly's father. Killing him off like that doesn’t quite gratifies.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Having Adam's father killed off was unexpected and I felt it was unnecessary. In terms of Carly's father, we didn't know much about him except that he was kidnapped by the Iksha. So, his death didn't really affect me.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

The death of Carly's father wasn't as impactful as Dauma's merger with Carly was...We never got to "meet" him and I honestly kinda forgot about it
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:02 I thought it was a plot device when it came to Carly’s father but a plot convenience when it came to Adam’s father.

I think Adam’s father could have been used in a better way later on but it was just easier to tie up a loose end.

On the other hand, without the disappearance of Carly’s father, the second half of the book basically doesn’t exist.
Yes, Carly's father's death was a total plot mover. Meanwhile, Adam's father was killed off suddenly and was a waste of character!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 15:11 The death of Carly's father wasn't as impactful as Dauma's merger with Carly was...We never got to "meet" him and I honestly kinda forgot about it
Yes, he is only ever seen through Carly's memories and since the Iksha had no real hope for him as he would not join them I suppose they killed him.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”