Deaths

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Deaths

Post by Howlan »

Salma_asa wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 08:54 I think there is more to the story about their death. The sequel might elaborate on that, at least i hope. I was really looking forward to know about Carly's father. Killing him off like that doesn’t quite gratifies.
On that point, I would really appreciate the author if he would not pull off a zombie and bring him back. Definitely not looking forward to this.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I haven’t read the book yet but seeing this topic made me question putting it on my list of books to read. I enjoy reading young adult novels. I also like books with fantasy and romance aspects. I don’t like to read books with characters being killed off but I am going to give the book a chance. I am intrigued even though I don’t usually read books when I know characters are going to die. Overall, this book seems like something that I would want to read.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I sometimes find myself forgiving this type of issue in books just because the story has to progress in some way. Maybe this is not the way I would have done it. It is not my book nonetheless. However, I do feel like there might be a surprise along the way for a continuation...
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 05:46 I haven’t read the book yet but seeing this topic made me question putting it on my list of books to read. I enjoy reading young adult novels. I also like books with fantasy and romance aspects. I don’t like to read books with characters being killed off but I am going to give the book a chance. I am intrigued even though I don’t usually read books when I know characters are going to die. Overall, this book seems like something that I would want to read.
This book certainly has all the things you mentioned. If you read most of the topics in the forum, and then want to read it all the best. The best would have been to go into this book blind.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

corinaelena wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 06:49 I sometimes find myself forgiving this type of issue in books just because the story has to progress in some way. Maybe this is not the way I would have done it. It is not my book nonetheless. However, I do feel like there might be a surprise along the way for a continuation...
Carly's father's death really made great character developments for Dauma and Carly atleast.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 04:12
Salma_asa wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 08:54 I think there is more to the story about their death. The sequel might elaborate on that, at least i hope. I was really looking forward to know about Carly's father. Killing him off like that doesn’t quite gratifies.
On that point, I would really appreciate the author if he would not pull off a zombie and bring him back. Definitely not looking forward to this.
Me neither. Just hoping that they had a mysterious backstory.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Salma_asa wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:49
Me neither. Just hoping that they had a mysterious backstory.
Like Carly's father having ties with the Iksha?
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

Perfectly good characters killed off. I just hope it makes sense in the end.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think their fathers' deaths definitely seem convenient. Adam's in particular seems weird. What did the Iksha hope to gain if they didn't even reveal to him that it was his father? If they took his hood off, that would have thrown him and given them an advantage in the fight. But it was just added after like it was easier to have it be a character that already existed than make up somebody else. It's just one of the things that seems off with the story for me.
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

The fathers weren't particularly important characters so I think they were just convenient to kill off for the sake of killing characters.
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by mama_ash »

Neither death was probably NECESSARY, but they played their parts. It would have been nice to see Adam rekindle his relationship with his father though.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

To be honest, I was a bit confused at first when it turned out that Adam's father was killed by Dauma's display of power. I didn't understand if the author referred to Mark or to Adam's real father. I had to fill in the dots and assume that Mark was kidnapped as leverage by the Iksha, but it didn't feel authentic. Up to a certain point, I can understand the death of Carly's father considering Dauma's future merge with her daughter.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I could see the death of Adam's father being false. Adam hadn't made up with him yet and he seemed too static of a character. I hope he comes back in one of the following books!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Haha, those kinds of plot twists have a time and place, but I agree with you, this isn't one of them.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

The deaths did seem a bit convenient. I was somewhat surprised by Mark's death because it seemed that he was being given a chance to redeem himself.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”