Deaths

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Deaths

Post by Howlan »

Scerakor wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 12:18
Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 04:12
Salma_asa wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 08:54 I think there is more to the story about their death. The sequel might elaborate on that, at least i hope. I was really looking forward to know about Carly's father. Killing him off like that doesn’t quite gratifies.
On that point, I would really appreciate the author if he would not pull off a zombie and bring him back. Definitely not looking forward to this.
Haha, those kinds of plot twists have a time and place, but I agree with you, this isn't one of them.
Yes there are many books which do these in the name of sci-fi, but I am really not a fan of those twists.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:14 The deaths did seem a bit convenient. I was somewhat surprised by Mark's death because it seemed that he was being given a chance to redeem himself.
Yes, I had hoped he would bring new character developments in Adam, but unfortunately, he was killed off.
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by mishkaat »

Adam,a father death was shocking and carley,a father was kidnapped.
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

I was surprised both fathers were killed off so fast around the same time. I felt like the deaths were kind of just thrown in there to tie up loose ends. They also moved on from them really quickly so it felt pretty insignificant.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

mishkaat wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 04:10 Adam,a father death was shocking and carley,a father was kidnapped.
And Carly's father was killed by the Iksha too!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Jac-o-lantern wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 04:17 I was surprised both fathers were killed off so fast around the same time. I felt like the deaths were kind of just thrown in there to tie up loose ends. They also moved on from them really quickly so it felt pretty insignificant.
Yeah, the character of Adam's fathers' character had so much potential which was all wasted. His confrontation with Adam post origin discovery was something I would have loved to read about!
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 09:06
Jac-o-lantern wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 04:17 I was surprised both fathers were killed off so fast around the same time. I felt like the deaths were kind of just thrown in there to tie up loose ends. They also moved on from them really quickly so it felt pretty insignificant.
Yeah, the character of Adam's fathers' character had so much potential which was all wasted. His confrontation with Adam post origin discovery was something I would have loved to read about!
I agree! It would have been interesting to see what the author would have done with the Adam/Mark/Jo angle if he had survived
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

yeah, sometimes it kinda seems like the author opts for some of the easier ways out...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
mhopkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhopkins.html
Latest Review: Mark Twain and the Art of Swearing by Lyle Larsen

Post by mhopkins »

I feel that the death of Adam's father was a little too convenient. But, I also thought that his affair was too convenient as well. He always seemed so hurt (at the beginning of the book) when he was being ignored and he gave JoAnna plenty of attention, neither of which I feel he would have done if he was really involved in multiple affairs. It just didn't seem to fit, to me.

I had zero emotional connection to Carly's father, so his death didn't mean anything to me.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 15:08
Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 09:06
I agree! It would have been interesting to see what the author would have done with the Adam/Mark/Jo angle if he had survived
It would have presented a much-needed character development for Adam at least!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 15:09
yeah, sometimes it kinda seems like the author opts for some of the easier ways out...
Yeah and that is so clique and boring!
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

I think that a lot of people died in the book. Carly’s dad was moved to the side, as well as, Terry’s death. They were nothing more than convenient for the author. The one that I wasn’t expecting was the merger between Carly and her mom. That was the most interesting death.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

Definitely, the author didn’t know what else to do with them, so instead of thinking of an explanation they were killed off. It makes the death seem a bit cheap, a bit too convenient and pushed to the side.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Tan TR wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:38 I think that a lot of people died in the book. Carly’s dad was moved to the side, as well as, Terry’s death. They were nothing more than convenient for the author. The one that I wasn’t expecting was the merger between Carly and her mom. That was the most interesting death.
That was interesting to say the least. I understand transfer of power. But a merge sounds weird!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Tan TR wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:40
Definitely, the author didn’t know what else to do with them, so instead of thinking of an explanation they were killed off. It makes the death seem a bit cheap, a bit too convenient and pushed to the side.
Yeah, I was expecting great character developments of Mark atleast!

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”