Adam and Carly - Romantic or Dangerously Romanticized?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Michelle_Cerone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-cerone.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Adam and Carly - Romantic or Dangerously Romanticized?

Post by Michelle_Cerone »

Their relationship was absolutely dangerously romanticized and ruined the book for me. Carly was a great character but love doesn't turn someone like Adam, who clearly has a serious psychological disorder into someone who doesn't. He needed help and love would not fix that in real life. I know the murder of the girl at the beginning of the novel was ultimately an accident but that didn't mean he did not initially intend to harm her. Epic fail.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Michelle_Cerone wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 12:44 Their relationship was absolutely dangerously romanticized and ruined the book for me. Carly was a great character but love doesn't turn someone like Adam, who clearly has a serious psychological disorder into someone who doesn't. He needed help and love would not fix that in real life. I know the murder of the girl at the beginning of the novel was ultimately an accident but that didn't mean he did not initially intend to harm her. Epic fail.
I completely agree with you! Love can't fix that especially by just covering up what he did! The only way love could help someone like that is if Carly got Adam the help he needed. I fully believe that Adam was intending to do her harm.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Michelle_Cerone wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 12:44 Their relationship was absolutely dangerously romanticized and ruined the book for me. Carly was a great character but love doesn't turn someone like Adam, who clearly has a serious psychological disorder into someone who doesn't. He needed help and love would not fix that in real life. I know the murder of the girl at the beginning of the novel was ultimately an accident but that didn't mean he did not initially intend to harm her. Epic fail.
Yes Adam should definitely face consequences for his actions.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 14:14
I completely agree with you! Love can't fix that especially by just covering up what he did! The only way love could help someone like that is if Carly got Adam the help he needed. I fully believe that Adam was intending to do her harm.
Carly should have gone and made Adam feel guilty and responsible for what he did.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

gilliansisley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 14:24 Oh. My. Gosh.
I didn't keep your whole reply because of how long it was but it's the first one so everyone should see it anyway but, wow. I haven't read this book but after reading your comment, it doesn't bode well already. However, I do see a teen movie in the future if this is the lines it's going along. For some reason, semi-psycho, stalker-like teen love seems to be very marketable these days. :?
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Karina Nowak wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 18:21
I didn't keep your whole reply because of how long it was but it's the first one so everyone should see it anyway but, wow. I haven't read this book but after reading your comment, it doesn't bode well already. However, I do see a teen movie in the future if this is the lines it's going along. For some reason, semi-psycho, stalker-like teen love seems to be very marketable these days. :?
But it better be R-18!
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Yeah, I certainly would not recommend, and I hope to God this never becomes a movie, because we don't need more young people idolizing this sick and twisted "love story".
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Espcially when you think of how crazy teens went for the Twilight series!

p.s. I love your profile pic!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 20:26
Yeah, I certainly would not recommend, and I hope to God this never becomes a movie, because we don't need more young people idolizing this sick and twisted "love story".
can you imagine them trying to get the incest angle in? I think they would have to cut that part out for sure.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 10:52
Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 14:14
Carly should have gone and made Adam feel guilty and responsible for what he did.
Or at the very least demand an explanation!
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 11:47

can you imagine them trying to get the incest angle in? I think they would have to cut that part out for sure.
The incest part? The killing Terry part? The whole sex den with the sex toys and condoms and sh*t!? There's no way they'd ever put that on the big screen.
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

OMG YES! it was highly toxic! reminded me of "Joe" from the Show "You". Carly's attitude towards Was absurd. this is not the kind of love we should be promoting in books which are placed in young adult, or in ANY category.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

I would feel sorry for the actors if it does become one.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 11:45
Espcially when you think of how crazy teens went for the Twilight series!

p.s. I love your profile pic!
Yeah a major flop as well.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 11:47

That or rate it above 18.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”