Adam and Carly - Romantic or Dangerously Romanticized?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: Adam and Carly - Romantic or Dangerously Romanticized?

Post by Nym182 »

rbrochhausen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:57 I get the fact that were destined for each other. But, love is a strong word. Even in a book of fiction, it's hard to belief that the communication between Adam and Carly was genuine. It just seemed so forced, but it makes for a good read.
I think "love" in the context of this story is apt. They are high schoolers in their first major relationships, so I think that they really do FEEL like they are in love... however, they don't really know what "love" is at this point in their lives or what a loving relationship should entail.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:55
rbrochhausen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:57 I get the fact that were destined for each other. But, love is a strong word. Even in a book of fiction, it's hard to belief that the communication between Adam and Carly was genuine. It just seemed so forced, but it makes for a good read.
Yes, definitely it is a match made by force. For one I feel no chemistry going on. And Adam is always angry at her for all the wrong reasons!
OMG he is! Do you think they both feel compelled/pressure to be "in love" because they both have powers? Because if they didn't I don't think they would be together at all... and love shouldn't be contingent on one's abilities (even if they are powerful abilities)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:57
Salma_asa wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 09:17 Initial of their relationship was a bit toxic, adam being jealous and overprotective. But over time they mature, so does their love.
I am at the start of the second book and spoilers Adam is still the same...jealous and overprotective.
What?! I am shocked! I don't know if I am going to read the second book yet... I might if I can review it, but i am the teeniest bit curious... But I also assumed I'll just be mad the entire time haha
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:58
Nym182 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:23
Salma_asa wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 09:17 Initial of their relationship was a bit toxic, adam being jealous and overprotective. But over time they mature, so does their love.
But that is my issue... The book doesn't cover a lot of time... it's maybe a month-month and a half and Adam and Carly are still going full throttle ahead. I did appreciate that Adam didn't capitalize on Carly's situation when she wanted to have sex, but Adam remains toxic for her the whole time (I think) He's overprotective and jealous, yes, but he is condescending in his feelings of HIM protecting HER considering that Carly is much stronger and has more experience with her powers.

He also unapologetically eavesdrops on her conversations with other people... at least 3 times. I didn't notice any maturing on his end (other than not having sex with her)...
Adam may have found peace of mind over his incestuous feeling but despite all these revelations, he is still hot-tempered and jealous as ever.
I don't think having incestuous feelings are something you are supposed to get peace of mind over. I understand (I think) what you are saying... Learning about the serum does explain his attraction but he still felt sexual feelings about his mom for almost years. That is a lot of mental/emotion damage he must overcome
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 02:00
Nym182 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 08:54
Amy747 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 08:34 This is definitely a very dangerous message to send to young impressionable minds. People like this rarely change, no matter how many fresh starts they get.
Yeah, exactly... their relationship should not be normalized and it is incredibly dangerous to give high schoolers the idea that someone who has done terrible things just needs love to change.
That may be true for some cases and there should be consequences for all actions but some people do change over love and care.
I'm not saying they don't. I'm just saying that Adam changing from wanting to kidnap/torture/rape women and having incestuous thoughts about his mom to wanting a mature, "normal" relationship with Carly in the course of a month is not realistic.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:56
Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:55
Yes, definitely it is a match made by force. For one I feel no chemistry going on. And Adam is always angry at her for all the wrong reasons!
Well she feels destined to him because of their powers and having found him by accident. Young people come up with these kinds of scenarios in their minds all the time.

Of course Adam isn’t going to change. People rarely actually change.
I do think that people can change... but not that quickly or so drastically as Adam supposedly does once he falls for Carly.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 11:49
Nym182 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:32
gilliansisley wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 12:39

IT'S SO TRUE! That's the part that drives me mad, they contributed NOTHING to the overall plot and story. He could have accidentally shattered a window or blown up a car to realize he had powers. He could have just been very emotionally close and protective of his mother, without having to want to f*ck her!! So, so creeping.

Imagining my husband having a creepy sex den with chloroform, and sex toys, and WEAPONS in the middle of the damn woods not only with pictures of his mother EVERYWHERE, but also a diary that has him admitting he wants to f*ck her!? HELL NO, THAT'S NOT AN INSIGNIFICANT DEAL. I would be out of there SO fast! I'd be calling the police SO. FAST.

But all in the name of true, young love, right? *vomits*
According to Carly, you can't judge Adam because no one is perfect!! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Sure, no one is perfect... but also, not everyone is a psychopathic abuser with an Oedipus Complex, and those are the people one should steer clear of!
I can not tell you how many times I thought or have had friends who thought, I/they could change/help/fix a guy with the power of their love. It's an immature idea that shouldn't be reinforced. That type of change needs to come from the person themselves! There are different ways to help people like that... Such as alerting the proper authorities when you discover someone's torture den!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

writestuff wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 13:32 Oh man Adam and Carly make me cringe. She has all this power and then weakens herself to be his fan girl. Have a serial killer bachelor pad...no problem. Find a dead girl's hairpin? It's ok because of love. No,no and no I would keep this well hidden from teens. This is an abusive relationship but this time he doesn't sparkle, he glows.
I don't think I have cringed so much while reading a book! She's supposed to be a super-strong being but gets weak in the knees when it comes to Adam... What a bad example to set for girls! Sure you have super powers and healing abilities... but it's nothing if you don't have a fella in your life! Just clean up his mess and pretend it never happened! And I also felt hardcore twilight vibes!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

nfdoughe wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 16:44 I wish I would have remembered all these parts while reviewing this book. Part of the problem is that "true love/soul mate" aspect where all the bad stuff is just swept under the rug because they're truly destined to be together and whatnot. I can't remember how many times I cringed at their relationship just to forget it all by the end because it's unfortunately so normal in a book like this. That is what makes it even scarier to me.
And that leads to an interesting thought. No relationship is perfect and you do have to learn how to accept people and their flaws in any relationship, but only to a certain extent. And that should not include incestuous thoughts and having a Den used for kidnapping and who knows what else!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

OfficialEmma wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:25 Well, let's not get too emotional about it. Try to see from the author's perspective. I think these reactions show that the author, through this story, was trying to communicate the potential harm or emotional stress of teen romantic relationships. That's what I think, though.
ohhh now that is an interesting thought!! Almost like a cautionary tale? I dig this interpretation!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Savage3 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:56 Its 2020, I wish we could move past the trope of "my boyfriend's a horrible monster therefore I'll put up with everything so I can FIX HIM". Forget that. Why are women, especially teenage girls, supposed to be encouraged to support and give up everything because a guy they like has issues. Why are they now responsible for changing a terrible human into a better human? Dude's a sexual predator. It's not sexy. Please stop encouraging young girls to romanticize abusive behavior.
Yaaas! No one should be encouraged to try and take the responsibility to fix someone! And you are right, it is primarily females who are pigeon-toed into that role... And it's especially dangerous to use Adam as an example of someone who can be fixed by "love"... This could easily and all too realistically lead to someone meeting a sexual predator and making themselves vulnerable to sexual abuse because they think that they can change them. It would have made Carly a much better role model if she turned Adam into the police, especially if it was described how hard of a choice it was for her to make!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Jezebelle84 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 14:52 Their relationship was toxic from the beginning. I don't understand how Carly is so understanding and forgiving of Adam after she finds the den. That sh*t is disturbing! Adam is completely obsessed with her and jealous beyond reason. He resents the time she spends away from him like she's some kind of possession. When he sees her, he has to hug her like she's going to run away if he doesn't hold on to her. Their relationship is not the least bit healthy.
And did you gag when he was compelled to protect her? SHE'S STRONGER THAN HE IS AND HAS MORE EXPERIENCE!

It also feels like when she hangs out with Kane, Adam is "allowing" her to do so! Not to mention him listening in on her phone conversations... those scenes were way too nonchalant for my liking.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 06:57 Teenagers do have the tedency to exaggerate things and first love is usually romanticized and lived as if the world would end if s/he didn't answer your call. However, in this case, Adam's behavior becomes obssessive. In fact, I guess he just traded one obsession for another in the sense that he transferred his obsession for Jo to his feelings for Carly.
You are so right! Exaggerated feelings can alter or blur teenagers common sense in normal situations, but this is not a normal situation. I understand how Carly may confuse his obsessiveness for "passion", but once she finds out about the Den, that should have been an obvious wake-up call! And yes, there is no getting around the fact that he just trades Jo for Carly...
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

OfficialEmma wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:25 Well, let's not get too emotional about it. Try to see from the author's perspective. I think these reactions show that the author, through this story, was trying to communicate the potential harm or emotional stress of teen romantic relationships. That's what I think, though.
Yes, I think the author makes Adam look bad on purpose. It is like breaking the stereotypical knight in shining armor scenario to a protagonist who actually has serious problems.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:08
I think "love" in the context of this story is apt. They are high schoolers in their first major relationships, so I think that they really do FEEL like they are in love... however, they don't really know what "love" is at this point in their lives or what a loving relationship should entail.
Yeah and because of the fact that they both are descendants so they have had a problem in fully trusting another.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”