Adam and Carly - Romantic or Dangerously Romanticized?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Adam and Carly - Romantic or Dangerously Romanticized?

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:10
Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:55
rbrochhausen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:57 I get the fact that were destined for each other. But, love is a strong word. Even in a book of fiction, it's hard to belief that the communication between Adam and Carly was genuine. It just seemed so forced, but it makes for a good read.
Yes, definitely it is a match made by force. For one I feel no chemistry going on. And Adam is always angry at her for all the wrong reasons!
OMG he is! Do you think they both feel compelled/pressure to be "in love" because they both have powers? Because if they didn't I don't think they would be together at all... and love shouldn't be contingent on one's abilities (even if they are powerful abilities)
Yes, I think they were more attracted to each other as they are both descendants. Carly being a descendant at the right place at the right time
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Howlan wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:59
Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:08
rbrochhausen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:57 I get the fact that were destined for each other. But, love is a strong word. Even in a book of fiction, it's hard to belief that the communication between Adam and Carly was genuine. It just seemed so forced, but it makes for a good read.
I think "love" in the context of this story is apt. They are high schoolers in their first major relationships, so I think that they really do FEEL like they are in love... however, they don't really know what "love" is at this point in their lives or what a loving relationship should entail.
Yeah and because of the fact that they both are descendants so they have had a problem in fully trusting another.
I think the fact that they are both descendants plays a huge role in their relationship. I don’t think Carly would be with him at all if he wasn’t a descendant.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:12
Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:57
Salma_asa wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 09:17 Initial of their relationship was a bit toxic, adam being jealous and overprotective. But over time they mature, so does their love.
I am at the start of the second book and spoilers Adam is still the same...jealous and overprotective.
What?! I am shocked! I don't know if I am going to read the second book yet... I might if I can review it, but i am the teeniest bit curious... But I also assumed I'll just be mad the entire time haha
Yes, I was surprised too. At the end of the first book, I thought his attitute improved quite a bit.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 13:14
Howlan wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:59
Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:08

I think "love" in the context of this story is apt. They are high schoolers in their first major relationships, so I think that they really do FEEL like they are in love... however, they don't really know what "love" is at this point in their lives or what a loving relationship should entail.
Yeah and because of the fact that they both are descendants so they have had a problem in fully trusting another.
I think the fact that they are both descendants plays a huge role in their relationship. I don’t think Carly would be with him at all if he wasn’t a descendant.
Yes, Adam touched Carly and felt a spark. Had another descendant been there at the same time, Adam would be with her.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:16
Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:58
Nym182 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:23

But that is my issue... The book doesn't cover a lot of time... it's maybe a month-month and a half and Adam and Carly are still going full throttle ahead. I did appreciate that Adam didn't capitalize on Carly's situation when she wanted to have sex, but Adam remains toxic for her the whole time (I think) He's overprotective and jealous, yes, but he is condescending in his feelings of HIM protecting HER considering that Carly is much stronger and has more experience with her powers.

He also unapologetically eavesdrops on her conversations with other people... at least 3 times. I didn't notice any maturing on his end (other than not having sex with her)...
Adam may have found peace of mind over his incestuous feeling but despite all these revelations, he is still hot-tempered and jealous as ever.
I don't think having incestuous feelings are something you are supposed to get peace of mind over. I understand (I think) what you are saying... Learning about the serum does explain his attraction but he still felt sexual feelings about his mom for almost years. That is a lot of mental/emotion damage he must overcome
Yes, and Adam himself felt repressed over it. I remember him feeling quite upset over the fact that he had sexual feelings towards his mother and atleast the serum gives Adam something.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:19
Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 02:00
Nym182 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 08:54

Yeah, exactly... their relationship should not be normalized and it is incredibly dangerous to give high schoolers the idea that someone who has done terrible things just needs love to change.
That may be true for some cases and there should be consequences for all actions but some people do change over love and care.
I'm not saying they don't. I'm just saying that Adam changing from wanting to kidnap/torture/rape women and having incestuous thoughts about his mom to wanting a mature, "normal" relationship with Carly in the course of a month is not realistic.
Yes, I get it. It is unrealistic for someone like Adam to be depicted in the light of a hero and he should definitely be not. I just mean that for a general audience the message should have some hope.
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

Howlan wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:56
OfficialEmma wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:25 Well, let's not get too emotional about it. Try to see from the author's perspective. I think these reactions show that the author, through this story, was trying to communicate the potential harm or emotional stress of teen romantic relationships. That's what I think, though.
Yes, I think the author makes Adam look bad on purpose. It is like breaking the stereotypical knight in shining armor scenario to a protagonist who actually has serious problems.
Yes. Exactly! Adam is a relatable character.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I agree...it's probably not a good idea to fill young minds with d istortioned notions of relationships and love
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

A lot of bad things in this book are portrayed as normal. For example, Adam kills Terry and he is told don't worry you were confused, as much as much as I agree that this romance went a little bit over board, it was suitable to the characters of this book. Superhuman characters with superhuman love.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Browlyns wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 17:34 A lot of bad things in this book are portrayed as normal. For example, Adam kills Terry and he is told don't worry you were confused, as much as much as I agree that this romance went a little bit over board, it was suitable to the characters of this book. Superhuman characters with superhuman love.
The author could have definitely done better on the romance department.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

The fact remains that Adam and Carly's relationship isn't different from most relationships I've seen in my short lifetime so far.

I don't think it was out of place for Adam to fall head over heels in love with Carly when he didn't know much about her. This is as realistic as it can be.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:25
gilliansisley wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 11:49
Nym182 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:32

According to Carly, you can't judge Adam because no one is perfect!! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Sure, no one is perfect... but also, not everyone is a psychopathic abuser with an Oedipus Complex, and those are the people one should steer clear of!
I can not tell you how many times I thought or have had friends who thought, I/they could change/help/fix a guy with the power of their love. It's an immature idea that shouldn't be reinforced. That type of change needs to come from the person themselves! There are different ways to help people like that... Such as alerting the proper authorities when you discover someone's torture den!
Entirely agreed. It's a dangerous and highly romanticized idea that the media puts in our heads, from an early age, that love can fix all. This skewed perception keeps so many people in abusive relationships, under the false belief that their abuser will change or they'll be able to fix them.

At the end of the day, the lesson this book really should have taught is readers is that, as you said, when you find out your boyfriend has a torture done in the woods, call the damn police!
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

That_Reviewer wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 04:30 The fact remains that Adam and Carly's relationship isn't different from most relationships I've seen in my short lifetime so far.

I don't think it was out of place for Adam to fall head over heels in love with Carly when he didn't know much about her. This is as realistic as it can be.
I really and truly hope that most of the relationships you've seen so far in your life don't include boyfriends and girlfriends destroying evidence and covering up for a partner who has murdered, has a history of kidnapping and has a creepy torture down in the forest.

Relationships really aren't supposed to be like that.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

Savage3 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:56 Its 2020, I wish we could move past the trope of "my boyfriend's a horrible monster therefore I'll put up with everything so I can FIX HIM". Forget that. Why are women, especially teenage girls, supposed to be encouraged to support and give up everything because a guy they like has issues. Why are they now responsible for changing a terrible human into a better human? Dude's a sexual predator. It's not sexy. Please stop encouraging young girls to romanticize abusive behavior.
Amen to all of this. We need young adult fiction novels that teach young women that when a partner treats you horrendously and poorly, and has a history of murder, kidnapping, and has a sex den in the forest, you peace the f*ck out of that place. You call the cops, and never talk to that creep ever again. The only thing that can ever help that boy is a hell of a lot of therapy, and even then it might not be enough.

Like you said, there's nothing sexy about her hanging around and covering up all the evidence of all the horrible things he's done, just for the sake of true love and fixing him. It's a disgustingly overused and dangerously propagated storyline only hurts people in real life.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

OfficialEmma wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 08:15
Howlan wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:56
OfficialEmma wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 21:25 Well, let's not get too emotional about it. Try to see from the author's perspective. I think these reactions show that the author, through this story, was trying to communicate the potential harm or emotional stress of teen romantic relationships. That's what I think, though.
Yes, I think the author makes Adam look bad on purpose. It is like breaking the stereotypical knight in shining armor scenario to a protagonist who actually has serious problems.
Yes. Exactly! Adam is a relatable character.
Relatable? He kidnapped an innocent woman with chloroform, brought her to his torture den in the middle of the forest, almost raped her, and then played a role in her murder. He also had incestuous feelings towards his mother, and was an overly jealous, emotionally abusive and manipulative boyfriend to Carly. There's not one thing about him that I found relatable, if anything I thought he was a total garbage human being.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”