Better as an adult book

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Re: Better as an adult book

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 15:28 One of the thoughts that kept occurring to me as I read this book was that Opaque would have been much better if it was not a YA book.

I dig gritty and dark books like anything by Bret Easton Elis or Stephen King, so when it turned as dark as it did I had mixed feelings. I enjoyed it but did not think that it fit in a YA book.

Between the darkness of Adam and the sexual undertones, I really think that Leigh-Reign would have made a much better book if she had leaned into the darkness. It would have made the strange sexual parts of the book less strange, especially if they were expanded on. I didn't like the scenes where Adam watches Carly wash or Carly's admittance that she wore socks to prevent stirring up Kane's foot fetish (what high schooler has a foot fetish?) in the context of a story about high schoolers.

Do you think writing it a YA book held the author back? Would you have preferred to read this as a sci-fi thriller?
What good insights you have! Although the mood (especially at the beginning) was creepy, I don't think many students would have been scared or turned off. However, they are still impressionable. I like what you said about making is a YA book could have held the author back.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I agree that I would have liked to see a more adult kind of approach taken where things didn't have to be watered down so much. There's only so much you can water down a plot before you wash it all away
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I definitely agree. Just because the characters in this book are in high school does not mean that this book should be included in the YA genre. It is definitely an adult book and it definitely has some pretty racy topics in it that are not for everyone.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I think its disturbing that the characters are high schoolers yet the underlying tones of the book are sexual and violent.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Noe that I think about, the author did limit herself by making this a YA's book. The darkness was also a bit too much for a younger audience.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I too relish in a darker (but well-written) fantasy book. Had the author built upon her ideas more and did not try to keep it in the YA genre it could have been even better!
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I think sexual references and references to body parts and desires were what made it a bit inappropriate for young adult readers. Also some violence and swearing. I guess the fact that the main characters were two teenagers in high school Is what made it suitable for that age group
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

I think perhaps it would have been a better, more rounded story, but as I prefer YA books to sci-fi thrillers, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the story going in that direction. Rather, I would have been happier if those parts were just not included at all.
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

I'd would not recommend this book to my teens, even though there is redemption in the end. The early chapters are disturbing.
MK_Lexington
Favorite Book: S.
Currently Reading: The Magician's Nephew
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mk-lexington.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by MK_Lexington »

I agree, just because the main characters are of that age group,I don't think that this book should be in the YA category. I don't think it's age appropriate for the YA category, especially because the first few chapters can be dark and disturbing for anyone to read, not just teenagers.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

Although I have not read this book, the reviews that I have read of it and from what others are saying, I am sure that it needs to change the way the book is listed. It should be adult only, not a YA as those books should not include kidnapping, rape, etc.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

I quite agree with you on this; the sexual content/undertone is inappropriate for YA readers.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I agree...this style of book in a sci-fi genre instead of YA really could have given it wings! You are right with sexual undertones being awkward in a YA genre novel, it seems as if the author really could have gone for it if it hadnt been YA.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
Reina275
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reina275.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reina275 »

I couldn't agree more with you, it would be better if it was an adult book, a lot of scenes were disturbing and the characters had some concerning behaviours. :|
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I think the age of the characters is no reason to classify it in the YA genre. Sci-fi thriller would be most appropriate.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”