Better as an adult book

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
gschauer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gschauer.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Re: Better as an adult book

Post by gschauer »

I agree that it may not be totally appropriate for YA. There were many sexual undertones and several places where the sexuality was open in a way I would not consider it to be an undertone. Otherwise, the fast paced and surprising turns within the story was well done. There was always sometime happening and the reader is surprised many times.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

I didn't put much thought into it but after reading your views it does seem inappropriate for the YA genre. And I also agree that the book could've been a lot more appealing if the author had focused on the dark parts of the story more and expanded upon the idea. The foot fetish part too stuck out like a sore thumb and I was inwardly cringing reading that part. I found it way too random and weird. The author could've easily done away with the Adam watching Carly wash herself scene and the story would've been just the same.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

While some movie or drama play usually captured YA character, yet the storyline are mostly for an adult. This book with its dark content and few erotic scenes, yet can still pass for a YA read.
[SNicolle]
Favorite Book: Opaque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snicolle.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by [SNicolle] »

My 1st thoughts when reading this were definitely that it was a bit more twisted then any of the young adult books I've read before. Especially when I was in high school. Thinking about it while reading it I could see how it could fit into the YA adult category. Being that she wanted to write it for teens who felt out of place and different. Something they could maybe relate to more then just the average YA book. Teens definitely have sexual urges, and while it wasn't explicit, it did dance around the sexual situations making it relatable.
However I do agree. I think she could have expanded on many parts of the book had it been geared toward adults instead of YA.
asuccintbeta
Favorite Book: Legally Bound
Currently Reading: Something About Ann
Bookshelf Size: 1081
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asuccintbeta.html
Latest Review: Must Love Spankings by Tina Sumley

Post by asuccintbeta »

Interesting thread. There are so many writers that find themselves in the YA/NA genre when clearly they shouldn't be. Unless I've missed the memo that the age range has changed, this book (and the author) would be better served in Sci-fi/Adult. I love dark stories, but I think this was a stretch for the intended audience.
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

At first I was concerned with Adam's darkness specifically his attraction to his mom. For younger audiences that first bit is troubling. Further into the book it made sense to have the book as a young adult. Also the writer might want to show how the powers grow with the age of characters. Maybe the next book will be set 10 years later. :D :D We might get all the super dark twists. I feel like we haven't seen all of Carly's powers yet.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I like the "new adult" genre. Interesting!
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I agree that the story is more of the adult category. Although I can see why they put it in YA, the characters are "YA"s themselves. But then some really graphic adult horrors use kids as main characters- does that mean they can be categorized as children's book as well...?
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

It's like Stranger things or IT. The kids are the leads but the genre may be too dark for a younger audience.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I don't agree. I think this is a perfectly acceptable YA book. After all, what age did we all read To Kill A Mockingbird in school? I might be showing my age here but I remember reading it somewhere around 8th grade. That book deals with rape and racial inequality, and I had to read it before highschool. Granted, it isn't considered YA, but those themes are pretty dark, and at least in my day (I'm 34) were required student reading. Teenagers are well able to handle the sort of adult concepts presented in Opaque, especially in this digital age of internet and enlightenment. And though I despised the romance between Adam and Carly, I didn't find it any more or less healthy than the romance between Bella and Edward in Twilight, and those are undisputed YA novels.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The YA definitely mislead me into thinking something else about this book. I could've better fitted the sci-fi category alone.
S1234
Currently Reading:

Post by S1234 »

amihughson wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 18:12 I don't agree. I think this is a perfectly acceptable YA book. After all, what age did we all read To Kill A Mockingbird in school? I might be showing my age here but I remember reading it somewhere around 8th grade. That book deals with rape and racial inequality, and I had to read it before highschool. Granted, it isn't considered YA, but those themes are pretty dark, and at least in my day (I'm 34) were required student reading. Teenagers are well able to handle the sort of adult concepts presented in Opaque, especially in this digital age of internet and enlightenment. And though I despised the romance between Adam and Carly, I didn't find it any more or less healthy than the romance between Bella and Edward in Twilight, and those are undisputed YA novels.
You make a good point. I guess it was just a surprise because when I think of YA I think about lighthearted stories which could be a mistake on my part. Arguably, yes, young adults can handle dark themes but this probably does not qualify as recommended reading for schools. How about, YA fiction but with dark elements? So this would be in a sub-genre of YA fiction.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

This will be better if it's an adult book. I know the author was trying to fit this book into its genre. However, by doing that it still did not fit in. Either the rushed romance is completely removed so its fits or expanded and classify as a sci-fiction adult book.
S1234
Currently Reading:

Post by S1234 »

Maybe it's beyond YA fiction. The world of YA is not ready for Adam and for that reason it leans towards Adult Fiction?
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

SirLaddie wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 09:33 Too much darkness and violent thoughts at the beginning. This is more of an adult book than young adult.
I agree fully. If it were not for some of the early parts of the book, this book would of been more appropriate as a young adult novel. However, this is not the case. It had a dark beginning with abduction and killing.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”