First-Person Narration - A Good Option?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Chanda Chema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanda-chema.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Re: First-Person Narration - A Good Option?

Post by Chanda Chema »

First person narration was a good option. It's always a good idea to get know the characters thoughts, like you can understand Carly's action after reasoning with her.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I think narrations leave a better impact when we use the 'first-person' narration. It helps the reader to connect with the characters.
Estrellah254
Currently Reading: Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estrellah254.html

Post by Estrellah254 »

First-person narration was a good option. It enables the reader to see things more clearly and understand the emotions of the characters.
edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Post by edztan15 »

Though first person narration certainly has its benefits and appeal, it can also limit story telling. It will be a challenge to narrate something that is happening outside the point of view of the subject without jarring the reading experience.
Michael I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-i.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Michael I »

I thought the first person narration from both characters was clever. It allowed me to get inside both of the character's heads, which is a unique experience.
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

I thought the first-person narrative style was interesting but a little confusing. I think a third person pov could have been helpful, especially because the narration came off as unreliable sometimes, and I'm not sure that was intentional. I'm usually a fan of first-person, but I didn't really feel like it worked as well here
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html

Post by Sumansona1344 »

Howlan wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 13:38
cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 07:49 Do you think that it was a good idea for the author to alternate between Adam's and Carly's first-person narration? As far as I am concerned, I found Adam's passages more interesting and believable than Carly's. Would a third-person narration have worked better?
I am a big fan of first-person narratives and I think the way the emotions are portrayed in the first person makes it easier to follow the story.
Same! Also, it helps me to connect with the characters and feel their emotions. In this way, I come to know more about the inner and outer personality of the character which helps to know how the character really is.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

That's a good question. I personally prefer writing in the third person. Every other way of writing seems like I am missing something from the book. I may sound weird but I feel that way. I can read any book with any type of writing but I prefer the third person the most.
gracedivine
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by gracedivine »

Well different authors use different styles depending on which one best fits the project at hand. And in this case, I believe the first person narrative is ideal and well suited.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

I think I might be the odd-man-out or perhaps my lack of expertise is showing, but I'm wondering if it even uses first-person narration. Perhaps someone can enlighten me about it... I thought usually first-person narration is conducted with "I," "me," and/or "we" being used frequently within the narration.

In my opinion, I felt like this was third-person narration but with multiple perspectives. The flow actually had me all kinds of weirded out when I was reading it, so I tried to do a little bit of research on it to figure out what was throwing me off. "Multiple perspective narration" seemed like the best fit for the book, but I might be horribly wrong.

Anyways, though, whatever the style was, it didn't really sit well with me. The switching back and forth had me confused a lot of the times, and it just left a very awkward, choppy impression to me. I would have much preferred if the author would have just stuck with one perspective, or divided up the different perspectives into different chapters. It was an interesting and curious choice, though.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

Some reader's don't like first-person narratives, especially when they alternate between two characters because it comes off as erratic. However, I find that a first-person narrative is better because it feels more personal and you're able to get inside a character's head
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I have not read the book yet, but I like the stories in first person. I think I can connect to the story better that way.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this book in the third person? There is no use of "I" and other first-person references. I think this book is in the third person, present tense. I don't believe this was the best choice as it was difficult to figure out which character's perspective was being referred to. The perspective sometimes switched in the same paragraph of text. It made the book difficult to get into at first.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Third person narrations are better suited. And same goes for Opaque. I think third person narration would have been much better.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Generally I think that an author's choice of narrative technique is aimed at effectively passing the plot to the readers, which the author of this book did. I don't have any problem with the author's choice of first-person narration.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”