First-Person Narration - A Good Option?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

First-Person Narration - A Good Option?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Do you think that it was a good idea for the author to alternate between Adam's and Carly's first-person narration? As far as I am concerned, I found Adam's passages more interesting and believable than Carly's. Would a third-person narration have worked better?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 07:49 Do you think that it was a good idea for the author to alternate between Adam's and Carly's first-person narration? As far as I am concerned, I found Adam's passages more interesting and believable than Carly's. Would a third-person narration have worked better?
Hmm that is a great question!

One of the cons of a first-person narrative is the narrative can be unreliable because you are seeing things filtered through their perception... but you gain greater in-depth knowledge of the person's who POV it is.

I do think it was interesting to see things through each of their POVs but the issue I had was the POVs were very fluid... You never really knew whos POV you were in and I feel like it even switched from Carly to Adam mid chapter.

I do think it would not have been better in a third-person narrative.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Tehreem_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem-khan.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Tehreem_Khan »

I'm feeling guilty replying when I haven't read the book. I just wanted to say that sometimes expression of feelings leaves more impact in first-person narration, to me at least.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Tehreem000 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:24 I'm feeling guilty replying when I haven't read the book. I just wanted to say that sometimes expression of feelings leaves more impact in first-person narration, to me at least.
I think that is a very valid point!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 07:49 Do you think that it was a good idea for the author to alternate between Adam's and Carly's first-person narration? As far as I am concerned, I found Adam's passages more interesting and believable than Carly's. Would a third-person narration have worked better?
I am a big fan of first-person narratives and I think the way the emotions are portrayed in the first person makes it easier to follow the story.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Tehreem000 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:24 I'm feeling guilty replying when I haven't read the book. I just wanted to say that sometimes expression of feelings leaves more impact in first-person narration, to me at least.
Yes, it really makes the first person narration feel better.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I think a third person narration would have been more appropriate to avoid having the inconsistency in the credibility of the tale as it moves from Adam's perspective to Carly's. To me consistency in a book's style is important.
AmatullahAG
Currently Reading: The Light of the Dying
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AmatullahAG »

I feel like first person narration is so much better at times. It gets you into the brain of the character and makes the book more personal, like you actually know the character. It’s ironic since I like writing in third person, lol!
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I guess a first-person narrative makes things more personal, and like a conversation or a memoir. It's as if things are happening in the present. However, in the third person, it is more like a story
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

First-person narration is all fine and dandy when you can make a difference between the characters. Otherwise... I don't know it is not about first or third person narration it is more of what kind of book it is. Maybe for fantasy, I wouldn't choose the first person.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

first person narration was a good option as it lets the reader see things through the eyes of the characters. It effectively turns the reader into a witness,
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AmatullahAG wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 05:58 I feel like first person narration is so much better at times. It gets you into the brain of the character and makes the book more personal, like you actually know the character. It’s ironic since I like writing in third person, lol!
Yes, it gives you more insight into the main character's emotions and perspective.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 13:43 First-person narration is all fine and dandy when you can make a difference between the characters. Otherwise... I don't know it is not about first or third person narration it is more of what kind of book it is. Maybe for fantasy, I wouldn't choose the first person.
I think Adam as a character would have caused so much influence if the story was narrated in the third person.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

There's nothing wrong in writing a book in either first person or third person. The most important thing is consistency. It would have been an issue for me if, for instance, the author alternated between first and third person in a particular character's narrative.
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

Writing in a first-person narration makes it easier for the reader to relate to the character and see things from the character's point of view. A third-person narration might have been okay in some aspects of the book, though.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”