Vicki - Victim or Deserves it?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Banette
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banette.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Vicki - Victim or Deserves it?

Post by Banette »

Honestly, during the early parts of the book I was actually on Vikki's side since she just seemed like a really nice person but everyone hated her for being arrogant and self centered even though she never came off like that. Characters mentioned not trusting her so often that I took it as a red herring that she was actually just an overly extroverted person trying to get along with everyone. So by the time the reveal of her being a spy came around I was still on her side since she was just doing what she was brainwashed into believing was right.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

Vicki didn't know who she was Or what she was sent to do. I mean at least not consciously. She had memories and remnants but she really wasn't a bad person you know. Kidnapping her and then treating her like a criminal was actually not the best way to go.
Sudhanshu Jaswal
Favorite Book: Last Train to Istanbul
Currently Reading: The Memory Painter
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudhanshu-jaswal.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by Sudhanshu Jaswal »

I didn't like the Vikki's character throughout the book but what good people, as you say them, did to Vikki in the last is too much for her. That's what I feel
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Vicki was a victim of circumstance, but the interrogation was a necessary evil. But I agree that the scene was unsettling because of how much Dauma and Carly enjoyed it, especially Carly because, as you said, it doesn't fit her character. I remember reading that scene and being surprised and confused by her enjoyment because nothing about her before that had even hinted that she would like doing that.
Shireen Ubaid
Favorite Book: Crescendo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireen-ubaid.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shireen Ubaid »

I also felt Vicky was treated unfairly. She did not know what was actually happening. She was just manipulated by her so called father. They could have just interrogated her and detected any lies using Dauma's powers. But they tortured her.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It's really hard to say. As the survivor of bullying, I can say "Yes! She definitely deserves it." I can see, however, that she's just trying to be close with her father.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

As one who's been tortured unduly, I never like to watch other people go through a similar experience. I believe it was a step way to far torturing Vicki like that.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”