Vicki - Victim or Deserves it?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Vicki - Victim or Deserves it?

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 16:18
Howlan wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 15:45
Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 10:23

I agree with you on this one... Obviously they were acting on raw emotions, but it did bother me when Dauma started in on her she said that she's just going to assume Vicki is lying no matter what she says. What's the point? At that point, it's just torture.
Yes, and since Dauma has biokinetic powers it should be easy for her to establish truth form lie. She did not need to go that far.
You know, I don't think I ever picked up on that detail haha That makes what Dauma said even more outrageous
Yeah, I think that the fear of losing her husband made her vision cloudy.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Of course, from any readers perspective, it wasn't fair because Vicki thought she was doing the right thing and we all knew that. Dauma, Carly and Adam didn't though, they did what they had to do to get the information they needed. I mean, what if Vicki was actually in on whatever her father was doing??
Harsh Prajapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-prajapati.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Harsh Prajapati »

I think she was a victim obviously. In the starting of the book the author narrated the story from Adam's perspective and since he was a protagonist his views carried over to us. As a result we started thinking that Vicki was 'bad' as well. Later in the story, it was made clear that Adam was actually wrong in the beginning but author used the fact that we still didn't like Vicki yet to mistreat her and thought we wouldn't notice. But then again here we are.
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:38
OfficialEmma wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:33
Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 10:26

I also thought it was crazy for Dauma to state that she's not going to believe anything she says... especially since Vicki didn't exactly hold back the truth and what she was doing!
That showed that Vicki's intentions were unbiased. Dauma saying that was kind of frustrating.
Just call a spade a spade... If Dauma and Carly want to torture someone, then just have that scene be that... not sure torture wearing an "interrogation" disguise.
Well, most times people use torture in their interrogation process. However, we got the point the author was trying to communicate.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
jasmine_2020
Currently Reading: Old Stone Face
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by jasmine_2020 »

Vicki sort of had it coming. But they went a little overboard with how much they tortured her and then they put her in prison. But in the end they finally let her out. Cleaned her up and fed her and took her somewhere where she could train and be at peace.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

While their reasons for being so vicious are understandable, I agree that it went a bit too far. I also agree that it didn't really fit with Carly's character.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

OfficialEmma wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 17:07
Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:38
OfficialEmma wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:33

That showed that Vicki's intentions were unbiased. Dauma saying that was kind of frustrating.
Just call a spade a spade... If Dauma and Carly want to torture someone, then just have that scene be that... not sure torture wearing an "interrogation" disguise.
Well, most times people use torture in their interrogation process. However, we got the point the author was trying to communicate.
See the thing is though, Dauma could tell when someone was lying and straight up told Vicki that she wasn't going to believe anything she said... plus Adam could also delve into her memories... they had a plethora of ways to get the truth out of her and the torture just was for their enjoyment.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 22:25 While their reasons for being so vicious are understandable, I agree that it went a bit too far. I also agree that it didn't really fit with Carly's character.
exactly... considering that she doesn't even eat meat... it was just a weird development that all of a sudden she is super into torture...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Ogoskino wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 12:40 Of course, from any readers perspective, it wasn't fair because Vicki thought she was doing the right thing and we all knew that. Dauma, Carly and Adam didn't though, they did what they had to do to get the information they needed. I mean, what if Vicki was actually in on whatever her father was doing??
I understand you point of view, and I mostly agree... except for the fact that they could have just as easily had Adam touch her to get her memories. Plus Dauma said she wouldn't believe anything she said even though Vicki was being forthcoming about the info she knew.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Harsh Prajapati wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 13:39 I think she was a victim obviously. In the starting of the book the author narrated the story from Adam's perspective and since he was a protagonist his views carried over to us. As a result we started thinking that Vicki was 'bad' as well. Later in the story, it was made clear that Adam was actually wrong in the beginning but author used the fact that we still didn't like Vicki yet to mistreat her and thought we wouldn't notice. But then again here we are.
I agree with what you say... it was just a weird choice by the author to kinda explain Vicki's side of the story, which was viable, but that doesn't change how she is portrayed.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Ogoskino wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 12:40 Of course, from any readers perspective, it wasn't fair because Vicki thought she was doing the right thing and we all knew that. Dauma, Carly and Adam didn't though, they did what they had to do to get the information they needed. I mean, what if Vicki was actually in on whatever her father was doing??
Yes, then it will be another interesting twist in the story. Judging from the way Vikki was treated, I would not be surprised if she eventually joins the dark side.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 10:50
Mbrooks2518 wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 22:25 While their reasons for being so vicious are understandable, I agree that it went a bit too far. I also agree that it didn't really fit with Carly's character.
exactly... considering that she doesn't even eat meat... it was just a weird development that all of a sudden she is super into torture...
Considering her emotional condition, it is actually not surprising that she wants information about her father quicklt and is not afraid to torture her if need be.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:35
Considering her emotional condition, it is actually not surprising that she wants information about her father quicklt and is not afraid to torture her if need be.
I mean I understand why they did it, I just don't agree with it... She acted on raw emotions and I think we can all relate to that, but wouldn't have it made more sense for them to have Adam look into her memories? Then they would know for sure that the info was true. Also, why did Carly decide to dress sexy for it? That was also a strange choice by the author...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind torture in books by any means, but I guess I would have appreciated it if the characters kinda owned up that they were doing it unnecessarily.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:46
Howlan wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:35

I mean I understand why they did it, I just don't agree with it... She acted on raw emotions and I think we can all relate to that, but wouldn't have it made more sense for them to have Adam look into her memories? Then they would know for sure that the info was true. Also, why did Carly decide to dress sexy for it? That was also a strange choice by the author...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind torture in books by any means, but I guess I would have appreciated it if the characters kinda owned up that they were doing it unnecessarily.
Yes, I understand your point of view. With those powers at hand, it definitely would be quick and effective for them to gain information. The point of torture was also done because I think wanted to vent out their anger of losing a family member on an Iksha spy.
xuanmaii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuanmaii.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by xuanmaii »

At first I thought she deserved it because well so far i only knew she was a 30-year-old woman in the disguise of 17-year-old and she was part of the Iksha with clear intention of hunting down the Descendants. But then I read sneak peak of "Split Adam" at the end of the book "Opaque" and I found out her innocence so I thought well maybe she was a victim. So yes maybe Vikki was a victim but at the time of her interrogation, all Adam, Carly and Dauma knew was that she was from Iksha, she was way older than them, she was a threat and the Iksha kept Carly's father and for this I don't blame their torturous acts. (Both sides had suffered).

By the way, I don't get it. If Vikki was Adam's sister (revealed in the sneak peak) and they were supposed to be twins, then why was Vikki 30 and Adam 17 ??

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”