Vicki - Victim or Deserves it?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Vicki - Victim or Deserves it?

Post by Howlan »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 17:43 Vicki did not deserve to be treated in this way. It was disappointing to see Dauma, the adult, approve and participate in this kind of behavior. She is giving Adam and Carly her approval to use this kind of tactic in the future to achieve their goal.
Yes it is definitely sad to see an respected adult Dauam behaving in this way. but I think she was way over her head for her concern about her husband. It could have played a major role in her acting this way.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

B Creech wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 20:32
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:22
B Creech wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:05
Exactly! I can't help but wonder what they will be up to in the next book!
I just want a rollercoaster ride from this book!
This book certainly gives you a roller coaster ride! :text-goodpost:
Yeah a ride with good and bad parts!
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

I honestly didn’t like Vicky throughout the beginning, till almost the end, of the book. But I do agree, that once I read her story she became another person. She wasn’t just that irritating girl, but a lonely person that is used as a means to an end by her own father. That is messed up.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

But I'm the end Adam does have compassion for her and feels bad when he sees her condition and realises she is only human

Running her a bath and giving her food show that his hatred for her is gone.

As for the others they seemed desperate to try and save Carlys father. She seemed to be part of tgst
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:47
Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:56
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:18

Yes, true that is a very good reason for them to do what they did. But still they went a little overboard.
yeah I have a feeling it would have gone pretty much the same regardless. And I'm still upset about Carly's wardrobe change just for the occasion.
Yeah just like Betty from Riverdale.
Hmm I've heard of the show, but not too familiar with it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:50
Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:00
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:21

Yes, she really crossed the line there.
It also concerned me that they utilize Carly's ability to heal to really take her to the edge of death... it seems like they were pretty comfortable with it and them using it to bring a victim that close to death, to heal them to torture them more.
That's an effective form of torture for sure!
For sure!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:51
Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:02
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:25

Yes, that is a valid and good point. It is true that Cary being raised as a descendant from birth was grilled with a certain training
It would be quite the twist if Carly and co end up being the bad guys the entire time.
Yeaf, it would be very interesting and definitely one worth seeing.
Talk about a M. Night Shyamalan twist!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:52
Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:05
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:28

Yes, it must be labelled differently.
I am assuming that would affect sales though?
Cant say for sure, but approx it should go down as the target audience decreases.
yeah, sales aren't my forte :lol:
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:53
Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:06
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:30

Yes, it is really meant for mature readers.
Hopefully mature enough to realize that some of these characters are the heroes that are painted out to be!
You mean not the heroes?
Oops! Yes haha
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:54
Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:08
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:32

Yeah. Not a bedtime story that's for sure.
Right? I definitely needed a palate cleanser after reading Opaque!
That's necessary haha. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Espcially since the book I had read before Opaque was another stinker... actually it was similar in the sense that I was reading a cool YA book and being duped by misrepresentation haha
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:55
Nym182 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:11
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:49

Yeah its real creepy at his age!
There is a sentence or two (I may be getting it a little wrong here) where he's listing all his supplies and he makes a comment about "this is what I'm supposed to have" or something about being prepared... (I'll have to look it up when I get home) He really did his homework on this kidnapping thing.
I dont think I remember that after a month but still is pretty disturbing nonetheless.
Ditto
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

dhwanis wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 20:16 Not really sure, if I would term Dauma and Carl as entirely "good", as what they really take things a bit too far.
I agree, they seemed to take a lot of pleasure in "interrogating" Vicki.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

B Creech wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 20:32
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:22
B Creech wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:05
Exactly! I can't help but wonder what they will be up to in the next book!
I just want a rollercoaster ride from this book!
This book certainly gives you a roller coaster ride! :text-goodpost:
More like a haunted house ride :gaah: :-o
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 22:45
kdstrack wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 17:43 Vicki did not deserve to be treated in this way. It was disappointing to see Dauma, the adult, approve and participate in this kind of behavior. She is giving Adam and Carly her approval to use this kind of tactic in the future to achieve their goal.
Yes it is definitely sad to see an respected adult Dauam behaving in this way. but I think she was way over her head for her concern about her husband. It could have played a major role in her acting this way.
which is a valid point.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Tan TR wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:34 I honestly didn’t like Vicky throughout the beginning, till almost the end, of the book. But I do agree, that once I read her story she became another person. She wasn’t just that irritating girl, but a lonely person that is used as a means to an end by her own father. That is messed up.
Agreed! I did think that it was weird that no matter how mean Adam could be to her, she would just keep coming to him for attention (obviously now I know why) But you are right, hearing her story and knowing more about her stuggles changed my perception of her as well!

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”