Perversion or relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: Perversion or relationship?

Post by Nym182 »

Noosh wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 12:33
Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:28
Noosh wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:41 That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
Yeah, there are some really weird and uncomfortable details in this book... most of it is pretty YA but then there are sentences that are just outrageous to have in a YA book.

P.S I love your profile pic!
Alrighty... I might continue with the book then. We’ll see.

P.S. thank you :tiphat: :)
If you do, please let me know how you feel about it!

P.S :tiphat: to you!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

B Creech wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 19:10
Njkinny wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:55 Adam’s fascination with JoAnn made me uncomfortable and had me thinking that this book should have been categorised in the Adult category, not YA. Please someone tell me if he improves further down the book because I am still undecided if I should continue reading it.
He falls hard for Carly and soon his step-mom is just his mom. I was weirded out about it too.
You do find out later that she shared some of those same feelings for Adam! Which is also weird... He does fall for Carly and that seems to relieve some of the pressure from the Adam/Jo thing but for me, it still kinda lingered in the back of my mind whenever they conversed.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

B Creech wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 19:25 When I first started reading I thought perversion for sure! I'm glad Adam fell for Carly because I was freaked out enough I almost stopped reading! :reading-7:
Right? Like... if this is where the author is starting us off, who knows what's coming up! (frankly, I'm still a little nervous haha... probably why I am most likely not gonna read the next one.. maybe)
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 08:37
Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:28
Noosh wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:41 That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
Yeah, there are some really weird and uncomfortable details in this book... most of it is pretty YA but then there are sentences that are just outrageous to have in a YA book.

P.S I love your profile pic!
Yes the weird sexual overtones were really unnessesary.
Adam watching Carly shower and her just pretending he wasn't there is still one of the weirdest scenes I've ever read in any book, let alone a YA novel...
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:03
B Creech wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 19:25 When I first started reading I thought perversion for sure! I'm glad Adam fell for Carly because I was freaked out enough I almost stopped reading! :reading-7:
Right? Like... if this is where the author is starting us off, who knows what's coming up! (frankly, I'm still a little nervous haha... probably why I am most likely not gonna read the next one.. maybe)
I know. Part of me says not to bother reading the next one, but another part wants to find out where it all goes next!
And I don't even care for sci-fi!! :shifty:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

If Carly hadn't come into the scene I think Adam would've kept spiraling out of control. His feelings towards his mother were not normal and he didn't know how to handle himself. I think his emotions would have got the better of him and he would keep acting out in worse and worse ways.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

Adam had already developed a disturbing obsession with his stepmom, but when later she reciprocated his feelings, I just cringed pretty hard. Such confusing contents should not be a part of a YA book.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

John Owen wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 05:40 What's your view, if Carly hadn't come into the scene, cocidering Adams hate for people which made it difficult for him to fall into a romantic relationship with anyone, could Adam fall for his Step mom, JoAnn?
I think Adam would fall foe Joann. He is already developing feeling for his step mum uncontrollablly.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

B Creech wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 19:35
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:03
I know. Part of me says not to bother reading the next one, but another part wants to find out where it all goes next!
And I don't even care for sci-fi!! :shifty:
Exactly! I kinda wanna know how this car crash ends :lol2:
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

rbrochhausen wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 21:55 If Carly hadn't come into the scene I think Adam would've kept spiraling out of control. His feelings towards his mother were not normal and he didn't know how to handle himself. I think his emotions would have got the better of him and he would keep acting out in worse and worse ways.
I agree! I really think that bringing girls to his den would become a regular occurance and he would eventually act on his feelings for his mom... Especially since she has similar impulses/feelings for him.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

AvocaDebo621 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 22:45 Adam had already developed a disturbing obsession with his stepmom, but when later she reciprocated his feelings, I just cringed pretty hard. Such confusing contents should not be a part of a YA book.
I totally agree.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Anthony__ wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 02:10
John Owen wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 05:40 What's your view, if Carly hadn't come into the scene, cocidering Adams hate for people which made it difficult for him to fall into a romantic relationship with anyone, could Adam fall for his Step mom, JoAnn?
I think Adam would fall foe Joann. He is already developing feeling for his step mum uncontrollablly.
Joann is not his step mom.. she adopted him and he grew up thinking she was his real mom.
Catreeves16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catreeves16.html
Latest Review: No Reprieve: by Inge-Lise Goss
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Catreeves16 »

I was a little put off by that relationship as well, but a little further in the book that attraction is explained. It doesn't make it completely okay, but it is a bit more tolerable.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Catreeves16 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 13:01
I was a little put off by that relationship as well, but a little further in the book that attraction is explained. It doesn't make it completely okay, but it is a bit more tolerable.
Hmmm... ok. Good to know, thanks for sharing :)
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Without Carly around, he already kidnapped and almost raped and facilitated the murder of Terry. I think if the time continued on, he would have sexually assaulted his own mother, and possibly killed his dad. He's a psychopath, and I still don't consider him as having redeemed himself, even after Carly. I hated Adam's character!

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”