Perversion or relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Re: Perversion or relationship?

Post by booksandmagicshop »

I found it completely unbelievable that when Adam and Jo found out the truth about their attraction, they easily turned off their feelings. It went from a super sexual and romantic connection right back to normal mother/son feelings. I think at the beginning of the book, Adam pretty much hated everyone but JoAnn. If Carly, didn't show up, who knows how much darker he would have become. Just look at what happened with Terry.
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:34 I think that at the beginning of the story Adam had already "fallen" for his mom. And I think eventually he would have acted on it as well... Considering that he eventually acted on his feelings to kidnap Terry.
Yes, I think he already had and what happened with Terry was a sign that he was spiralling out of control. While I think it did also serve as a wake-up call to Adam that he wasn't okay, without Carly he was sure to stay on that path of "pursuing" his stepmother.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

booksandmagicshop wrote: 17 May 2020, 20:25 I found it completely unbelievable that when Adam and Jo found out the truth about their attraction, they easily turned off their feelings. It went from a super sexual and romantic connection right back to normal mother/son feelings. I think at the beginning of the book, Adam pretty much hated everyone but JoAnn. If Carly, didn't show up, who knows how much darker he would have become. Just look at what happened with Terry.
I don't think they did easily turn off their feelings though. I think when Adam switched his obsession to Carly, that's when his feelings for JoAnn significantly lessened. Especially with that hospital scene where he was practically dead and he's more focused on where Carly is than JoAnn. But there was a scene when they hugged after they both knew But I do agree that the transition of his obsession from JoAnn to Carly was very quick.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I don't think he would have acted on his cringe-worthy thoughts as he did overcome his dark thoughts, though a bit late, when he kidnapped Terry. I think he was strong enough to overcome his attraction towards JoAnn, but a part of him didn't want to overcome it. He was a confused teenager and his thinking of himself as a monster tells us that he has a conscience.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

He desired the most forbidden woman in his life. I really don't have an idea about his tendencies but we know he can go too far just to quench his urges, so maybe he could've indeed fallen for her completely and probably would've tried to build a relationship with her.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Sure he could. I don’t think that it would have been at all healthy since blood is not at all what makes someone your mother. Fortunately, she had other things to worry about.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I wouldn't say that Adams feelings for his stepmother was completely out of place, but going further to give all the sexual details was not necessary, especially considering its a Young adult book. I loved the book, but am not sure I would recommend it to teenagers.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”