What Would You Do Differently?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Banette
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banette.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: What Would You Do Differently?

Post by Banette »

I think that the story should've had a full focus on Adam's struggles to become a better person. As much as I was looking forward to the superpowers, I feel like the Descendant plot really detracts from Adam's character arc and I think the story would have been much stronger if Adam and Carly where just normal humans, or as "normal" as a teenager as deeply disturbed as Adam could be. I didn't believe Adam's character growth but if the story had put more emphasis on his slow development I think it could have been a much stronger arc. It felt like Adam just kinda has an epiphany and realizes that he's wrong instead of actually learning why his thoughts and actions where a problem. And there were times where he was still rather manipulative even after the story told us he was better. But if I could only make one change to the entire story, I would make Adam take responsibility for Terry's death. That plot thread was built up so much in the beginning and it comes to a completely dissatisfying lack of conclusion when Adam and Carly just kinda sweep it under the rug when they finally talk about it. At the very least, Carly should've treated it like the massive red flag that it was and demanded answers as soon as she found out.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I enjoyed the book, so I wouldn't change a lot, but I did also feel uncomfortable by Adam's obsession with his mum. Furthermore, I would have elaborated the battle in Greenland a bit more. Such a huge, impactful event can't just happen in the blink of an eye.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”