Vikki and Adam (spoilers!!)

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
FelDee
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: A Voice in the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feldee.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
fav_author_id: 6456

Vikki and Adam (spoilers!!)

Post by FelDee »

The fact that Adam was repulsed by Vikki is a plot hole, let me explain: The reason for Adam's obsession for Jo is because she had the youth serum and she was supposedly the only one around him who had at least some of the Descendants DNA, right? However, Vikki also had the serum too, so why wasn't Adam attracted to her? It seemed to imply she was sort of attracted to him, which makes sense, but I don't understand why he wasn't to her. I mean if the book wants me to believe that it was purely biological that Adam was obsessed with his mother and she with him, then I see no explanation why he shouldn't feel the same towards Vikki.

Anyone else thought about this or do I just over think things too much, ๐Ÿ˜‚
Tell the truth, or at least don't lie.
~Jordan Peterson, PhD~
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I second you on that, It would have been natural for Adam to be attracted to Vikki too because she drunk the same serum as Jo but apparently he was repulsed by her. Indicating that it was the gene's way of preventing them from mating. My reasoning is that Jo wasn't related to Adam at all but Vikki was his sister so somehow his genes detected that, we may call it a sixth sense that everyone possess.
FelDee
Currently Reading:

Post by FelDee »

Alicer wrote: โ†‘25 Mar 2020, 01:01 I second you on that, It would have been natural for Adam to be attracted to Vikki too because she drunk the same serum as Jo but apparently he was repulsed by her. Indicating that it was the gene's way of preventing them from mating. My reasoning is that Jo wasn't related to Adam at all but Vikki was his sister so somehow his genes detected that, we may call it a sixth sense that everyone possess.
They are cousins not brother and sister. Nikolay is Vikki's father not Adams. Nikolay pretended to be in love with Adam's mom to capture her. While in captivity Nikolay's brother raped her and that is where Adam and his twin brother came from.
~Jordan Peterson, PhD~
Alice Festo
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Festo »

Actually Adam confirmed that Nikolay wasn't Nikki's father her real father was Nikolay friend uncle David the same man who raped Adam's mum. Actually Nikki is her step sister because they are not of the same mother.
FelDee
Currently Reading:

Post by FelDee »

Alicer wrote: โ†‘25 Mar 2020, 03:24 Actually Adam confirmed that Nikolay wasn't Nikki's father her real father was Nikolay friend uncle David the same man who raped Adam's mum. Actually Nikki is her step sister because they are not of the same mother.
Oh, I didn't read the sneak peek of the second book. I see it know. I generally never read sneak peeks in books. I always wait until I have the next book.
~Jordan Peterson, PhD~
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I thought the same thing as you when reading the book, I was confused.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Alicer wrote: โ†‘25 Mar 2020, 01:01 I second you on that, It would have been natural for Adam to be attracted to Vikki too because she drunk the same serum as Jo but apparently he was repulsed by her. Indicating that it was the gene's way of preventing them from mating. My reasoning is that Jo wasn't related to Adam at all but Vikki was his sister so somehow his genes detected that, we may call it a sixth sense that everyone possess.
This seems like the most logical explanation to me. Even further, perhaps the gene thought that the saturation of similar DNA would somehow counteract its function? So it's not really a moral thing so much as it trying to survive?
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

Alicer wrote: โ†‘25 Mar 2020, 03:24 Actually Adam confirmed that Nikolay wasn't Nikki's father her real father was Nikolay friend uncle David the same man who raped Adam's mum. Actually Nikki is her step sister because they are not of the same mother.
Don't you mean half-sister, if they share a father? I thought it made sense since Adam and Vikki were related, while there was no shared blood between Adam and JoAnn.
Alice Festo
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Festo »

Thanks, you are right Nikki is actually Adams half_sister.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Vikki came out to be Adam's half sister but still it does not explain why he was attracted to Jo and not Vikki.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

Yes, it is a point to be noted. There was no proper explanation of why Adam liked Jo and not Vikki if the serum was the case. Maybe Adamโ€™s mother added something to Joโ€™s drink with the serum but it was never told.
Dominika S
Favorite Book: Picasso At The Lapin Agile
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominika-s.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Dominika S »

Adam wasn't attracted to Vikki because she was somehow related to him, causing him to not feel that way. Jo isn't biologically related to him so he feels attracted to her, even though it was really weird at the start of the book.
banevius
Currently Reading: Bones and the Treasure Map
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banevius.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by banevius »

I didn't think Adam's attraction to Jo had anything to do with the serum. Even though it was explained to him that that was the reasoning, I felt it made better sense for the story that he had some attraction to an older female as many teenage and slightly older boys are. His lack of attraction to Vikki was simply because Vikki was annoying.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

FelDee wrote: โ†‘24 Mar 2020, 14:09 The fact that Adam was repulsed by Vikki is a plot hole, let me explain: The reason for Adam's obsession for Jo is because she had the youth serum and she was supposedly the only one around him who had at least some of the Descendants DNA, right? However, Vikki also had the serum too, so why wasn't Adam attracted to her? It seemed to imply she was sort of attracted to him, which makes sense, but I don't understand why he wasn't to her. I mean if the book wants me to believe that it was purely biological that Adam was obsessed with his mother and she with him, then I see no explanation why he shouldn't feel the same towards Vikki.
Anyone else thought about this or do I just over think things too much, ๐Ÿ˜‚
Now that you are mentioning it, yes, you are right, and there is one inconsistency it the book that has been pinpointed.
With so much going on, I am sure there are others, but the book reads well. :tiphat:
Banette
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banette.html
Latest Review: The Watchmakerโ€™s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Banette »

No, you're definitely right! I get the feeling that the author didn't know that Vikki was a spy in the beginning. I read in an interview while doing some research on the book that Leigh-Reign wrote the book in three weeks and I'm not sure that there were many, if any, editing passes after that first draft.

Return to โ€œDiscuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reignโ€