Official Review: Invictus by Dr Samuel White III

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Official Review: Invictus by Dr Samuel White III

Post by Marcel Cantu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Invictus" by Dr Samuel White III.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Invictus by Dr. Samuel White, III is a thorough and well-written guide to maneuvering the coronavirus as a Christian. The name Invictus is taken from the William Ernest Henle poem that speaks of a spirit that is unconquerable in any situation. White carries this theme through the course of his book. Invictus begins by exploring some of the relatable emotions and situations experienced by many during the difficult time of the COVID 19 pandemic. Fear, anxiety, loss, and hopelessness have pained many lives during this time and Dr. Samuel White, III offers helpful scriptures, thoughts, and practices for navigating the unusual circumstances we all now find ourselves in.

White addresses issues such as being unable to attend church in person, solitude and loneliness created by quarantine, as well as the grief brought by current events. White shows how individuals can use these challenges to grow and develop. The decline of institutional church pushes individuals to make their faith personal and independent of an institution. Solitude can create space for reflection, meditation, and development that is transformative. And we are all given the opportunity to support communities around us by praying, hoping, and acting on the behalf of others. These are some of the encouraging perspectives White presents.

What I liked most about this book is the practical application included within it. White uses scriptures to guide and encourages readers. Questions for self-reflection are included in many chapters, as well as bullet points of options for facing and resolving difficult situations can be found within the book. Additionally, a two-week, daily guide that includes a topic, Bible verses, reflection questions, and a prayer is included to help readers begin White’s approach to dealing with the coronavirus.

White puts a great deal of emphasis on faith and positive thinking which I agree is mandatory during these times. However, lines such as, “Your life is in your hands. Your positive thoughts determine your health, wealth, and destiny” which are within White’s book do not create enough space for the tragedy that happens despite positive thinking and faith. Sections of this book do relate to loss and how God works in these situations, but I wish more was included about loss even when there is faith and positive thinking in abundance.

I would give Invictus by Dr. Samuel White, III a three out of four stars rating. I think this is a very well-written and helpful book. It is an amazing resource and provides many practical and straightforward ways to improve your life and thinking during times of struggle. I deducted a star because of the reason mentioned above as well as for other minor issues. Some of the information in the book could be repetitive or cliche at certain points, and the book is overall, well-edited, but did contain a few minor grammatical errors.

I would recommend this book to Christians who find themselves struggling in any way during the coronavirus. White covers a large spectrum of topics and is a very useful read to those dealing with fear, anxiety, loneliness, loss, and other difficult emotions during this time. While this book is focused on COVID 19, the advice could be applied to Christians dealing with any season of hardship.

Invictus
View: on Bookshelves
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A very appropriate review with pros and cons. I would definitely like to read it.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Covid situation is the Invictus. And I agree that with all the faith and positivity, tragedies do happen. Thank you for a great review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

A move towards personal faith independent of institutions is one of the little silver linings amidst these unfavourable times. Thank you for a lovely review!
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

It seems that this book is a resourceful read in this COVID-19 time and even beyond that. Thanks for such an eloquently written review. I enjoyed reading it very much!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I realized that many people have chosen to reflect and write during the pandemic. I like the fact that this author chose to write about trying to stay positive despite the difficult circumstances.

You brought up some valid points that the author could use to improve the book.

Thank you for a fascinating review.
😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like a wonderful tool for Christians to use and to remind themselves to not let their stress and anxiety get the better of them. I’m glad the author also included daily applications as opposed to a broader “stay positive” attitude. Thanks for the great review!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I totally agree with you on cliches that need to be deducted when dealing with such serious matters. Great review!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

It is true that in the global situation we are in, we need fresh perspectives to help us rationalize what is happening. This would seem an interesting read, but I think it is a bit too religion-centered for me. Thanks for your detailed review!
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

This sounds like a book that would be meaningful now but I wonder if it has staying power once the pandemic is over. I like the addition of questions for self-reflection and guide. It isn’t my type of book but I could see it being meaningful for others. Thank you for the great review!
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”