Review of White Gods

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Review of White Gods

Post by Ruth Naomi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "White Gods" by Jery Tillotson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

White Gods by Jery Tillotson is a historical and gay romance novel that centers on the Mirakle family. Milo Mirakle is appointed by President Roosevelt as the key advisor to the military. His wife, Dr. Laura Mirakle, had always been passionate about helping people, so she traveled to Mountain Town and opened a free clinic that would cure the inhabitants who lived in dire poverty.

In 1941, when Dr. Laura and her black co-workers are murdered by the Ku Klux Klan, her 16-year-old son, Brandon (Brandy), witnesses the horror and narrowly escapes death. In the process, Brandon heroically kills three of the perpetrators. Milo Mirakle takes his son with him to Hawaii, so they'd grief Laura's death together. While there, Brandon falls in love with an island boy, Rudy. Soon, the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor, and Milo, along with other military men, die in the process. More than seventy years later, 96-year-old Brandy has been invited to commemorate the anniversary of the Pearl Harbor bombing. How will things go for him?

There are tons of things to appreciate in this novel. Firstly, when I picked this installment, I thought it would be based solely on gay romance, but that's not the case. Historical events are so adequately explained that I felt as if I had been transported back to 1941. While so doing, Mr. Tillotson does not eschew the profound racial discrimination back then. Immigrants worked for long hours with meager wages and sometimes no pay. With mouths to feed, most people would indulge in petty crimes and even murder.

Jery Tillotson has performed an impeccable job with his character development. Brandy began as a horny teenager who wanted all the attractive boys to himself, often performing his sexual desires with them. However, when he grows older, we see Brandy viewing the world from a more divergent perspective.

I disliked how Milo Mirakle's physique was absurdly overrated in the book. I understand he was a fit military man standing at six feet five; nevertheless, it didn't have to be overly emphasized in the story. It became a bit monotonous.

Furthermore, I don't know what to think of Brandy and his dad's relationship. Milo used to hold his son close to his chest and give him kisses. At some point, his towel drops off, and his son is not surprised because he has seen his father's manhood severally.

I encountered very few errors in the book, so it is professionally edited. The story was captivating and a masterpiece! Therefore, I rate the book four out of four stars. I endorse it to lovers of gay romance novels with a blend of history.

White Gods
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Sounds like a good story with a bit of romance thrown in. Not sure it is my cup of tea though. Thank you for a most informative review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

Historical fiction with some romance.. seems like a good read. Thank you for your in-depth review.🌻🌼
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Certainly not my kind of book although the review is very comprehensive.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The review is an informative one. Although it's not my kind of book. Good review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I hate gay, but still I would love to read more about this book, beautiful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”