Review of Don’t Poke the Bear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Review of Don’t Poke the Bear

Post by Patty Allread »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don’t Poke the Bear" by Robin D’Amato.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Don't Poke the Bear by Robin D'Amato peeks in on three thirty-something women living in New York City during the mid-90s. Allie, Rihanna, and Natia struggle to earn an income, meet men, and have relationships with them. D'Amato follows each woman in their day-to-day life. She also tells the story of Allie's boyfriend, Pest, a wannabe rock star. Written in seven parts, we see how life is for them now and how it was when they were younger.

I enjoyed the way D'Amato writes dialogue because it is very natural and conversational and helped me get a feel for these women and their thoughts and emotions. She subtly blends snippets from their past with stories of what is happening now to help explain how they view life. Often, the linear storylines matter less than their responses as young women moving into and through adulthood. The author included many musical references, and I took the time to listen to most of the songs she mentioned. The music helped set the story's mood, especially Allie and Pest's relationship.

I kept reading well past one-third of the book, looking for a solid central storyline that was not to be found. Each woman has her own story, but not much happens in this book besides their boyfriend, work, and family troubles. I continued reading, hoping for something with more substance or purpose. I didn't find it. I wondered if that was the author's point and why she gave the book its title. By the end of the book, I found Pest to be a more interesting character than the women. Despite his dubious sense of morals, he was at least persistent in pursuing his career.

D'Amato has talent as a writer, and I suspect she intended to convey more in Don't Poke the Bear than I could perceive. I believe this author has more ability than what she shows here. The main issue with the book is that these characters needed to be fully developed and have more self-motivation or drive. The three women were supposedly friends, but their interaction with each other was minimal. This angle could have been an avenue for a much more meaningful storyline. The book was well edited with only a few errors, but because of these other shortcomings, I rated this book three out of five stars.

The book contains sexual content and references to drug and alcohol abuse. I recommend it to adult women who enjoy emotional drama, like what you find in a soap opera.

Don’t Poke the Bear
View: on Bookshelves
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think some of the interactions between these three women are interesting and fun. While Allie's boyfriend is included, how about Rihanna and Natia's boyfriend? Do they have one? Thanks for sharing this intriguing review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Patty Allread

Post by Patty Allread »

I think some of the interactions between these three women are interesting and fun. While Allie's boyfriend is included, how about Rihanna and Natia's boyfriend? Do they have one? Thanks for sharing this intriguing review!
Rihanna and Natia so have boyfriends! Thanks for your comments, Hazel.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Patty Allread wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 10:48
Rihanna and Natia so have boyfriends! Thanks for your comments, Hazel.
You are very welcome, Patty! It's so good to share thoughts and support with co-members here.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I love the title of the book, but I am sorry that it fell short of your expectations. I hope the author takes your advice about character development.
Patty Allread

Post by Patty Allread »

I love the title of the book, but I am sorry that it fell short of your expectations. I hope the author takes your advice about character development.
I love the title too. Thanks for visiting and commenting!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

I love the title of the book and so, I need to add the book to my bookshelf as soon as possible so as to enjoy the book in it's full details. Thanks for the review.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I like how you set up yourself in the music environment too. That was full commitment to the cause ahah sounded like a story that goes nowhere? Just relates to few characters lives? Great review by the way.
Patty Allread

Post by Patty Allread »

I like how you set up yourself in the music environment too. That was full commitment to the cause ahah sounded like a story that goes nowhere? Just relates to few characters lives? Great review by the way.
Yes, I wanted to get as much out of the book as possible. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Sara!
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

The title alone is enough to make me want to read this book, but the lack of developed characters is a bit of a downside. Thanks for the informative review!
Patty Allread

Post by Patty Allread »

I agree; the title is intriguing! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

So something like Sex and the City? It's a shame the women's friendship was lacking because that's somehow important for the emotional appeal of stories like this.

Nevertheless, thank you for the introduction to something that seems to have potential at least!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Patty Allread

Post by Patty Allread »

So something like [Sex and the City? It's a shame the women's friendship was lacking because that's somehow important for the emotional appeal of stories like this.
Good catch! I think this book was promoted on Amazon as Sex and the City without the expensive shoes and nightclubs.
Jack A
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jack A »

Yeah Patty, I could see how an author could loose the story line if they have several threads running at the same time. I also see that you pointed out the author has is talented. I wander if she has other books out?
I appreciate your view of the book like the plot or the character development. I just tend to read the book and if I don't like it I drop it...
Patty Allread

Post by Patty Allread »

I wonder if she has other books out?
Yes, I believe she has one called "Somebody's Watching You." Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”