Review of Black Screen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Black Screen

Post by Jack King »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Screen" by James Salerno.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Black Screen by James Salerno follows the lives of four people in Moscow. Each has an integral part to play in Dimitri’s plan to bring the world to its knees. Little do the other three know the extent of his plans and the damage that could be done. Dimitri has only one desire: to destroy America and China and allow Russia to rise to the status of world power that he believes it deserves. He plans to bring down technology across the world by any means necessary!

The book proceeds at a fast pace and allows the book to flow without unnecessary details or information. The author has a clear focus and follows only two clear storylines. You are left in suspense waiting to see how the storylines will meet and interact later in the book, and without giving anything away, the author finds a creative and logical way for the two storylines to meet. There is only a small cast of characters, which allows the book to feel streamlined and easy to follow the two plots. The book is exceptionally well edited and contains no errors.

It is difficult to find many negatives or positives for this book, as it feels very average throughout. The characters have clear intentions and goals to achieve, but their motivation is not fleshed out or believable. The main plot of bringing down computers worldwide feels generic and unoriginal. Besides that, the purpose is to elevate Russia, but there's no reason given why they will succeed when others fail if they have technology stripped away from them.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. As previously stated, the story is easy to follow, and there is enough danger attached to each character for you to stay invested in them and race through the pages. The characters are not overly deep but serve enough of a function to advance the plot. The book does not explore in detail the technological aspect of what they are trying to achieve. For me, I found this to be a positive, as computers and hacking are not my areas of expertise. If you are the opposite of me and those are some of your passions, then you may view that as a negative.

I would recommend this book to male and female readers alike. There is a good mix of male and female characters, and the story is often told from their perspective. This is a great book to read if you are short on time. It has an easy-to-follow plot and you can pick it up and put it down as needed. The book would appeal to a large age range; the characters range from being in their twenties to their seventies and are not limited to a younger or older audience.

Black Screen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: The Fairy Tale of Peckham Rye Park by MeM Tekari

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

An easy to read book which is also bang average according to your review. Maybe the author could have put in more work. Thanks for the review.
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Jack King
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Khris Cee wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 02:31 An easy to read book which is also bang average according to your review. Maybe the author could have put in more work. Thanks for the review.
Being easy to read is part of what made it average I think. If he had leaned more heavily on technical details and complex characters then it would have changed that whole dynamic.
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

NutellaBanana wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 08:56 This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Thank you for your kind feedback!
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

Kudos for this well-detailed review. You pin pointed on the major areas of importance.
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

Chinenye Achilike wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 12:15 Kudos for this well-detailed review. You pin pointed on the major areas of importance.
Thank you for the feedback! Always good to hear positive news.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”