Review of A Mercenary's Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure by David Mark Quigley

Review of A Mercenary's Story

Post by Seetha E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Mercenary's Story" by Terry Dailey.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Mercenary's Story by Terry Dailey is a fictional work that follows the life of Byron Allison. The story offers glimpses of his childhood in Alabama, where he grew up with his parents. His father, who worked at a machine shop, had served in the Army during WWII. He never spoke about the war period. Unfortunately, tragic incidents involving his parents during his teens left him living with his grandparents for a few years until graduation. The lack of information about his father's military service motivated Byron to join the Army after college. Despite unpleasant incidents, Byron has fond memories of his grandparents and parents.

He served twice in the Vietnam War and earned a Medal of Honor. However, certain events occurred while he was in California to receive the Medal of Honor, which forced him to resign from the Army. With limited options, he took up a job as a security head for a senator. Eventually, he became a mercenary under Colonel Mathews. What were these incidents that changed his life? Did they make him bitter or change his essence?

In the introduction, the author provides an insightful understanding of what it means to be a mercenary in today's world. He talks about how and why it all began and shares his views about it. I like how the author blends flashbacks to familiarize the reader with the protagonist's backstory of how and why he ended up working as a mercenary. The equally important story is about his present mission. The writing style is simple and engaging. Although the plot is full of intense happenings, it is balanced out with lighter moments.

Several characters run parallel and support the protagonist and the plot. Each of the characters reflects a strong personality. I appreciate the backstories because they help readers understand the challenges they face and succeed in invoking respect for each of them and what they do. The respect, guidance, and support he received from the Senator, the friendship he shared with Clay, the bonding within brief meetings with Clay's parents, the camaraderie he shared with his team members, and his love interest, Tracy, all contribute to the protagonist's character development. I appreciate the kind of trust this close-knit group shares and develops bonds for life.

I only found a few minor errors, indicating that the editors did an excellent job. Adding timelines with the chapter names would have enhanced the layout. However, these aspects did not bother me much and do not warrant any reduction in the ratings. I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for its simple yet impactful writing style. I appreciated how the book focused not only on the missions but also on the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of the soldiers.

I recommend this book to mature readers who enjoy reading books about combat. The book also provides a perspective on the humane side of these so-called tough and ruthless killing machines. It would be an insightful read for those who wish to pursue life as a soldier or for people who wish to understand their mindset. However, the presence of profanity makes the book unsuitable for younger readers.

A Mercenary's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a helpful and sufficient overview of the book "Share A Mercenary's Story" by Terry Dailey. The reviewer's positive feedback on the writing style, character development, and the humane side of soldiers makes the book appear to be a good addition to anyone's library. The reviewer's recommendation for mature readers interested in combat stories or understanding the soldier mindset could motivate potential buyers. However, it should be noted that the book contains profanity, making it unsuitable for younger readers.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

This review provides a positive perspective on "Share A Mercenary's Story" by Terry Dailey. The reviewer appreciates the engaging writing style, well-developed characters, and the balance between intense and lighter moments in the plot. The book is praised for its insight into the challenges and humanity of soldiers. The minor errors and lack of timelines are mentioned but don't significantly diminish the overall rating. Ultimately, the reviewer rates the book 5 out of 5 stars and recommends it to mature readers interested in combat literature.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”