Books for a roadtrip.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dposse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books for a roadtrip.

Post by dposse »

Im going on a trip with my family to visit a aunt in a few weeks. the trip is going to take about six hours one way, so i'll need to keep myself entertained. Can anyone recommend me a book(s) that i could find at my local library in the mystery/detective/suspense (Dan Brown style)/dystopian(i read 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Clockwork Orange) genres?

Also, has anyone read The Rule of Four" by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason? also, does anyone like Robert Ludlum's other spy thrillers that are not the classic Bourne trilogy?

thanks!!!
vorsta

Post by vorsta »

Would you like Johh Grisham? If you like Grisham’s earliest works (the Firm, the Pelican Brief, etc.) you’ll almost certainly like this one too. Similarities between John Grisham’s latest book, The Associate, and his previous best seller, The Firm, are unavoidable.The Associate is a novel about a brilliant young law student who wonders everyone with his choice of the law firm where he is to train. What we know, though his friends don’t, is that he has been tempted there by dark forces. While at college, our hero was a senior editor at the Yale Law Journal. Kyle McAvoy would also have been a college basketball star if he had not injured his knee. The firm he joins is ruled with maximising the number of billable hours charged by each trainee. After joining, he is asked to thieve information from client’s files. This is difficult because of high levels of security. Furthermore, it’s dangerous because he could lose his job. His room is bugged and his movements monitored. However, the bad guys are never quite sure how much he knows about this. Eventually, the FBI becomes involved. But our hero has an ambiguous relationship with the bureau, preferring to run things his own way...
It is charming reading about the corporate greed of the American legal system.
MoreCowbell

Post by MoreCowbell »

Grisham's The Client is really good and so is The Juror, is that by him too? I think so.
Dystopian-wise I think you should look into Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx & Crake. I loved 1984 by Orwell and Animal Farm is now on my list. The Lottery by Shirley Jackson is great, and Brave New World looks really good. Check out the list of dystopian novels on Wikipedia, you might find it helpful. The Children's Story by James Clavell is short but a must-read IMO, very interesting.
Oryx Crake

Post by Oryx Crake »

Oryx and Crake is a really great book, I wouldn't have named myself after it if it wasn't =)

Also Animal Farm is very good.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

This thread has been locked.

Please continue the discussion in the "Crime, Thrillers and Mystery Books" sticky thread.

Remember, the forum rules for this section clearly state that all new threads in the "Reviews, Recommendations, and Warnings" section must be limited to 1 book or series per thread. If you wish to get a list of recommendations or talk about more than one book, please post it in the appropriate sticky thread.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”