Review of When The Owl Speaks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Novembers by Norman Cristofoli
fav_author_id: 2540

Review of When The Owl Speaks

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When The Owl Speaks" by W. H. Jansen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Doug Pearson is a graduate student and is on his way to work for a PhD. He decides to go to the Artic to pursue his doctoral research and gather new data from the field. However, the situation gets more complicated when he reaches Kiviut Lake. Soon after his arrival, a string of murders and paranormal happenings in the small community push him into danger.

The plot was well orchestrated and managed to bring the complex storyline into a plausible concept. The art, its culture, and the people there were depicted with care. The world-building was immersive and detailed without dumping the information. The different subplots, such as romance, adventure, and crime, were interwoven skillfully into the lines of the main plot. The characters were well-developed and relatable. There was significant character growth by the end of the novel. I loved the addition of a glossary and questions for group discussions at the end of the novel. The narration was engaging and descriptive, with a good balance between telling and showing. The book was professionally edited, with no errors that I could spot.

Nevertheless, there are a few aspects that could be improved. Conversations were bland and boring; many times profanities were the only indicator of emotions in a person or a dialogue. While the whole point of Doug going to the Artic was to pursue his research, the subject he was going to specialize in was not mentioned. I did not know his bachelor's and master's degrees. Aside from his educational background, there was also little information on his family background, especially his parents.

I recommend The Owl Speaks by W. H. Jansen to people who like fantasy fiction with some crime. Both adults and teenagers can enjoy the book. Considering all the above arguments, I rate this book three out of five stars.

When The Owl Speaks
View: on Bookshelves
Ni_weh_sesh62
George Nduuru
Favorite Book: Original Wisdom
Currently Reading: If... and other stories
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-nduuru.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by George Nduuru »

I've always enjoyed reading science fiction with deep, meaningful dialogue. This is good for me because I can relate to and comprehend the characters well by reading what they have to say; therefore, even without much background information, I find it to be just fit for a great read. Thank for a honest review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I wonder what danger Doug Pearson was pushed into on arrival at Kiviut Lake. This is a nice review.....kudos.
Shinshinshin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Shinshinshin »

Based on the well-orchestrated plot, immersive world-building, and skillful interweaving of subplots, it seems that "The Owl Speaks" by W. H. Jansen would be a good read for fans of fantasy fiction with a crime element. The review notes that the characters are well-developed, and the book is professionally edited with no errors. However, it mentions some areas for improvement, such as bland conversations and limited background information on the protagonist. Overall, this three-star rated book appears to be an interesting choice for both adult and teenage readers.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP

George Nduuru wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 03:45 I've always enjoyed reading science fiction with deep, meaningful dialogue. This is good for me because I can relate to and comprehend the characters well by reading what they have to say; therefore, even without much background information, I find it to be just fit for a great read. Thank for a honest review.
Thank you for your feedback. Hope you enjoy the book.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP

Donald Cecil Hufstedler wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 05:04 Based on the well-orchestrated plot, immersive world-building, and skillful interweaving of subplots, it seems that "The Owl Speaks" by W. H. Jansen would be a good read for fans of fantasy fiction with a crime element. The review notes that the characters are well-developed, and the book is professionally edited with no errors. However, it mentions some areas for improvement, such as bland conversations and limited background information on the protagonist. Overall, this three-star rated book appears to be an interesting choice for both adult and teenage readers.
yes,i believe the book does need some improvement there.but overall, it was a fair read.thank you for your feeedback.
Ni_weh_sesh62

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”