Review of America in the year 2048 and other stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Review of America in the year 2048 and other stories

Post by John Owen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "America in the year 2048 and other stories" by Shukdeb Sen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Shukdeb Sen's "America in the Year 2048 and Other Stories" is a compelling compilation of short stories that traverses a wide array of themes, from the echoes of historical struggles to the intimate battles within the confines of personal relationships. This collection of 13 short stories not only showcases Sen's versatility as a storyteller but also his profound understanding of the human condition and the socio-political landscapes that shape our lives.

The opening story, from which the collection draws its title, offers a speculative glimpse into America's future, threading together past and present issues of racism, political upheaval, and the quest for justice and equality.

In stark contrast, stories like "Remembrance" and "Justice Delivered" delve into the intricacies of human relationships and the complexities of the heart. "Remembrance" is a poignant tale of youth, innocence, and the painful lessons that come with growing up, while "Justice Delivered" explores themes of abuse, resilience, and the search for healing and redemption in the aftermath of betrayal.

The most intriguing story in the collection, to me, is the last story, "A Torn Page from a Travel Brochure," because it covers themes I am interested in at the moment. It masterfully intertwines personal tragedy with geopolitical intrigue, making it a really interesting story. In the story, Sen navigates the fragile boundaries between personal loyalty, ethical dilemmas, and the broader historical currents that sweep individuals into the vortex of events larger than themselves. I like its nuanced portrayal of the protagonist, Akbar, whose journey from a child caught in the throes of war to a man ensnared in a web of political machinations, encapsulates the collection's overarching themes of loss, survival, and the quest for identity amidst chaos.

Overall, Sen's writing is evocative and richly detailed, and it has characters and settings that are as diverse as they are engaging. Each story, while distinct in its narrative scope and thematic focus, is connected by the author's keen insight into the socio-political forces and everyday, real-life issues that shape our world.

"America in the Year 2048 and Other Stories" is a mirror reflecting the trials and triumphs and the fears and hopes of humanity. The book is both timely and timeless, and it's a must-read for anyone seeking to understand the complexities of our times through the prism of personal narratives that resonate with universal truths. However, the tense used in most of the stories is inconsistent, making most of them sound awkward. This is really distracting! I wish I could give a perfect score for how amazing the book is, but that comes to 4 out of 5 stars for the reason highlighted above. The book is excellently edited, and I highly recommend it.

America in the year 2048 and other stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

The short stories in the book portray humanity's trials and triumphs. This will certainly appeal to any reader. Through various storylines, they will get to see these themes explored.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”