Review of Mars Hospital

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Dark and Lonely Road by Sean Gates

Review of Mars Hospital

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mars Hospital" by Lloyd Flatt, MD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Wave is a brilliant doctor. To fulfill his career aspiration of being a hospital administrator, he takes up a job at Mars Hospital on a contract of one year. Mars is a small town in Nebraska. The place is full of eccentric people. The patients come with complaints that are unbelievable even for the most experienced of doctors. Headed by an incompetent CEO named Skip, Mars Hospital is mostly full of shady medical professionals. With revenue as the primary focus, patient care takes a backseat. Utmost importance is given to consultants and their dictates, even though they have no relevance to patient care. Naturally, Dr. Wave is flabbergasted when he comes to Mars. One of his only sources of support is his nurse, Sally.

Will Dr. Wave be able to make any waves at Mars Hospital? Will he be able to bring about positive change, or will he succumb to the rampant corruption prevalent at the hospital?

Mars Hospital: A Doctor's Novel is a highly informative and interesting book penned by Llyod Flatt, MD. I got to know a lot about different ailments and their proper treatments. At the same time, I gained insight into how ignorance and negligence can turn even the most simple of illnesses into a nightmare. Also, I got to know about the proper use of narcotics. I learned a lot about the US Healthcare System. I got to know about many institutions like the National Practitioner Data Bank, Drug Enforcement Administration, State Medical Board, Office of the Inspector General, and Department of Justice Health Care Fraud Unit, among others.

Llyod Flatt is a brilliant author. Dr. Wave's stint in Mars, Nebraska is full of ups and downs. Flatt literally takes us on a journey with him through his vivid writing style. The first-person perspective of Dr. Wave truly immersed me in the story. I am literally in awe of Flatt's sense of humor. I found myself laughing at unexpected times. Medical terms and information are usually monotonous for those not in the medical field. Yet, Flatt makes everything so engrossing and easy to understand that I was glued to the pages. Even though we met most of the patients very briefly, he made me care for them. This is indeed a testament to his writing prowess. Also, I loved his references to various songs, films, and TV shows. It made the reading experience all the more enjoyable.

One of my favorite characters in the story is Sally. She is talented and steadfast. She finds humor in the most dire of situations. Dr. Wave is honest to his core. He tries his best to fight the system at every step. Dr. Wurst is another character that made a mark. Ms. Geras is someone I wholeheartedly rooted for. Dr. Slanderman, Dr. Bacchus, Dr. Lyssa, and Dr. Do, among others, literally made me wary of hospitals and clinics.

Overall, Mars Hospital: A Doctor's Novel is an amazing novel. I have nothing to criticize. The book is professionally edited to boot. Hence, I rate Mars Hospital: A Doctor's Novel by Llyod Flatt, MD 5 out of 5 stars.

I highly recommend this book to medical professionals and aspiring medical professionals. People who like the slice-of-life genre will love this novel as well.

Mars Hospital
View: on Bookshelves
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Some books just become interesting when written from the first-person point of view. Your review for this book is comprehensive. Thanks for this.
Rica Concepcion
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Rica Concepcion »

I also wish to learn more about various diseases, their remedies, and how ignorance and carelessness affect health. I can't help but keep reading this wonderful review because it is so beautifully written. Well done!
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Seetha E »

Thank you for an interesting review. Along with the author, you have created an amazing scene. With the entry of Dr.Wave who is assisted by nurse Sally, Mars hospital, I am sure changes into the most happening place. Will be happy to know that Dr. Wave lived by the Hippocratic Oath!
Suvankar Das 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suvankar-das-1.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Suvankar Das 1 »

This review of "Mars Hospital" by Lloyd Flatt, MD, seems intriguing. The author's writing style and ability to make medical terms engaging caught my attention. The characters and their journey in the medical field sound captivating. I'm curious to explore this book and learn more about the challenges faced in the healthcare system. The 5-star rating and positive feedback about the book's editing further pique my interest. I might consider giving it a read, especially as someone interested in slice-of-life stories.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”