Review of The Stones of Riverton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Path to the Priestess Temple by Dianne Adel

Review of The Stones of Riverton

Post by Kristin Cowan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stones of Riverton" by Clif Travers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Stones of Riverton: Tales from a cemetery is a compilation of stories about individuals buried in Riverton Cemetery, Maine. There are thirteen stories of tragic deaths, mysterious deaths, murders, and even aliens. The stories range from the 1600s-2000s and feature characters of various genders, ages, and demises.

The prologue includes a vivid description of the town and its location in Maine. Each story is unique and told from various perspectives; some are told by the victim, some by the murderer, and some are just unsolved investigations. By the end of the book, I wanted to read more. The author does an excellent job of developing characters within one short chapter and captivating the reader. By the end of the chapter, you are waiting to see what happens and find out how the characters died. Luckily, some characters appear in multiple chapters, tying some of the stories together. The final story features characters that appear in multiple chapters, leading me to want to reread the previous stories to look at clues.

My favorite story was “JD Wuz Here” which tells of a body found beneath the floorboards of an old cabin. The only clue to the body’s identification is a piece of cardboard that says “JD Wuz Here.” The story flashes back to JD staying in the cabin and his torrid love affair that ultimately led to his death.

I rate this book 4 out of 5. It is a unique and easy read. The editing is well-done as I only found two minor errors. The stories are captivating and after reading this book, I began to think about the stories of the people buried in the cemeteries near my home. I would love to read another book with a similar layout, featuring stories from another cemetery.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in short stories that are entertaining and thought-provoking. This book would be enjoyable for fans of true crime as well. There is some adult content so I would only recommend this book to adults.

The Stones of Riverton
View: on Bookshelves
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 85%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

"The Stones of Riverton" looks to be a nice, well-written, and mysterious book. I will add it to my shelves. Thank you.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”