Review of Drawn Into Danger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: Room Without Walls: A Transformational Journey by Ruth Ferguson

Review of Drawn Into Danger

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Drawn Into Danger" by Keith Costelloe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Drawn Into Danger by Keith Costelloe is a riveting novel that follows the journey of a British bisexual man, Dave, as he travels to Algeria for a teaching job and personal freedom. Set against the backdrop of political tension and unrest in Algeria, Dave finds himself caught in a web of intrigue and danger.

With hopes of carving out a new path and embracing the unknown, Dave ventured into Algeria, accepting a teaching position that would serve as the catalyst for a life-altering journey. Here, he became intertwined with Moussa, Sue, and Liz. The tides of fortune soon turned, as a revenge plot sent Dave tumbling into the midst of a precarious and perilous role as a messenger for the Algerian cause.

This is a compelling and deeply moving novel that explores themes of identity, freedom, and politics. Through Dave's journey, Keith offers a nuanced and thought-provoking exploration of the ways in which personal and political forces can intersect and impact one another. The world-building in this book is truly exceptional, as it transports the reader to the vibrant and complex landscape of Algeria. He meticulously crafted a rich and immersive setting that brings to life the sights, sounds, and culture of this North African country. I was taken on a journey through a diverse and multifaceted world that was captivating and thought-provoking.

From the struggles of being a bisexual man in a conservative society to the complexities of navigating a foreign culture, Dave was a complex and compelling protagonist whose journey is both intriguing and thought-provoking. Through Dave's eyes, we were given a glimpse into the heart of Algeria, its people, and their political struggles. The political tension that he became entangled in added an extra layer of suspense and intrigue to the story. As he unwittingly became a player in a dangerous game of power, I was kept on the edge of my seat as I followed his harrowing journey through the tumultuous landscape of Algerian politics.

Although this was a remarkable book, it had a flaw. The narrative was marred by frustratingly frequent interruptions in the form of page numbers and the author's name intruding into the middle of sentences. These disorienting diversions disrupted my engagement with the story, creating a disconnected reading experience.

For these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. It was exceptionally edited. This is a powerful and gripping book that will stay with you long after you turn the final page. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a thought-provoking and immersive literary experience.

Drawn Into Danger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Well, I reckon this here book sounds mighty interestin'! Drawn Into Danger by Keith Costelloe seems to be a riveting tale set in Algeria, with a protagonist named Dave who gets caught up in all sorts of intrigue and danger. From what I gather, this book tackles some thought-provokin' themes like identity, freedom, and politics, all within the backdrop of a diverse and immersive world. Now, there seems to be a little blemish in the narrative with them pesky interruptions, but overall, this book appears to be a good read. I reckon I'll give it a try, y'all should too! Powerful themes, explored with sensitivity and depth.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review of "Drawn Into Danger" by Keith Costelloe presents the novel as a gripping and thought-provoking read. The reviewer highlights the compelling protagonist, the immersive world-building, and the exploration of themes such as identity and politics. However, they mention a flaw regarding frequent interruptions in the narrative. Overall, the book seems to be a good read, but potential readers should be aware of the mentioned flaw. Dynamic storytelling, kept me engaged throughout.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I've always been interested in Algeria and I think this book will allow me to experience it through the author's words. Thanks for the heads up about the formatting issues, I'll look past those as I read it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”