Review of Bellamy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Gambo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Re: Review of Bellamy

Post by Michael Gambo »

Davis's writing beautifully captures the essence of small-town life in the 60s and the challenges of growing up. I think it's a must-read for anyone interested in heartfelt stories that tackle real-world issues.
I believe in something greater than myself.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Runan »

Set up in the 1960s, Calvin has ADHD and struggles at school, and his family thinks he is lazy. He also feels left out in his friends group. Calvin's friend gets murdered, and chaos ensues. The author portrays issues like racism and homophobia well. That was a well-thought-out review.
Runan
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
lim mamanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lim-mamanto.html
Latest Review: In The Beginning... Man Created God? by Brandon Irving

Post by lim mamanto »

Calvin is an outcast in his family; his stepmother constantly reminds him that he will never live up to expectations. Calvin has an imaginary friend, Bellamy, to ease his loneliness. When a friend of Calvin's is murdered, the town is thrown into chaos, and prejudice runs rampant. This book is recommended to anyone looking for a coming-of-age novel that features small-town life, murder, and a reminder of the social struggles of that period:
It sounds like it is going to be an interesting read. With his imaginary friend as the title of the book. 

Sky Revews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sky-revews.html
Latest Review: Heat in the Vegas Night by Jerry Reedy

Post by Sky Revews »

The characters in this book " Bellamy"grapple with finding their place in the world, especially in a potentially judgmental small town. This resonates with readers facing similar challenges and navigating Congratulations on becoming #BOTD
Tejas Koli
Favorite Book: The Great Migration
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tejas-koli.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 140%

Post by Tejas Koli »

This review of "Ignite Culture" by Margaret Graziano is fantastic! 📘 It's clear that this book offers valuable, actionable insights for leaders aiming to transform their organizational culture. I appreciate how the review emphasizes the practicality and structure of the book, with segments like "Key Takeaways," "Brainhack," and "Powerful Questions." The personal endorsement of the book's editing and the seamless connection between chapters adds to its credibility. Definitely a must-read for anyone in a leadership position looking to make impactful changes! 🚀
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by grace ruhara »

I already pity Calvin as he has to live to please people and behave well despite the maltreatments he gets.
Steve R 1 Nimmo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve-r-1-nimmo.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by Steve R 1 Nimmo »

This coming-of-age tale involving an imaginary friend gives me the impression of being quite ingeniously written. The main character's struggles with ADHD and fitting in with his peers echoes the dilemma which even modern-day youngsters can identify with.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @lim mamanto, I just read your comments on the official review of "Bellamy" and I think your summary was right on point. I found the book to be interesting especially since I grew up in the 1960s and personally saw the prejudice and racism. I do not remember the homophobia and think it occurred in the 80s but whatever. I keep an open mind and believe in live and let live and I do not want our government to tell us what to do. This upcoming election will determine the future of our constitutional republic and it might set off a Civil War in our country. @Mrlefty0706
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Eye of The Beholder by J.M. Stenfors

Post by Janet Kimetto »

A story about a young boy growing up in a small town in the sixties as an outcast. Calvin has his own way of dealing with the challenges he faces, but then one of his friends is murdered and another friend is accused of the murder, throwing the whole town into chaos. From the review, the story is well-written and highlights some of the issues that still exist in today's society. Congrats on BOTD!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Teacher by Robert Mitchell

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

Oh wow this plot sounds intriguing already! Actually, the intrigue began from the book's cover. It was fine and there was some mystery about it. I can imagine what life's like being a third wheel.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading: Words of Weedsdom
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

The nostalgic setting of the 60s and 70s combined with the coming-of-age narrative is incredibly appealing. The review’s emphasis on Calvin’s complex relationships and personal growth piques my curiosity and makes me eager to read this novel.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”