Review of Peeling Back The Layers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jay Alex
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: Peeling Back The Layers by S L Gandy

Review of Peeling Back The Layers

Post by Jay Alex »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peeling Back The Layers" by S L Gandy.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Although fictional, Peeling Back The Layers holds bits and pieces of truths and facts about events in the author's life—information that the author shares in hopes that it can guide, or at least, motivate readers as they engage with the book. 

Rya is a private investigator who was contracted to solve the case of attempted break-ins at a church in her neighborhood. Although she made a point of avoiding churches after a traumatic event at some point in her life, she takes the case, and while it brings her difficult situations and daunting obstacles, she finds her long-dormant faith rekindled. Peeling Back The Layers combines mystery, motivation, and ministry in a single package and provides such wonderful entertainment at the same time.

I like the realism sounded throughout this literary work of imagination and the straightforwardness of the messages held in each page and chapter; every character has a piece that makes up the framework of the story, and each one was properly fit to create this wonderful work of art. The editorial effort is also a point for applause, as the book was exceptionally well edited. The plot was well structured, and the characters were also well developed; each fits snuggly into their intended roles in the events and tells their story with as much clarity as can be afforded.

I do not have anything to dislike about this book because it checks any box of requirements that even the most prudent readers might have. This book amazingly entertains while simultaneously educating the reader.

I'm rating this book a solid 5 out of 5 stars for its literal propriety, thoughtfulness in plot and character development, meticulous editorial work, skillful and yet modest use of language—it's simple enough to help a reader build on their lexical skills but also sophisticated enough for a fluent reader. This rating also owes to the spicing of fiction with real facts in the book, thereby passing useful and invaluable information as casually as possible. This technique keeps a reader more interested in the book and more receptive to the information the author is trying to pass on. Overall, I believe this book is valuable, irrespective of the reason for its possession.

I recommend this book mainly to lovers of fiction, mystery, motivation, and a little bit of religious content. However, it will also prove a valuable read for anyone who engages with it, regardless of their literary inclinations, age, lexical skill, cultural background, or reservations. Peeling Back The Layers by S. L. Gandy is a must-read for well-thought-out stories.

Peeling Back The Layers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”