Book Suggestions Please!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bbell447
Bookshelf Size: 0

Book Suggestions Please!

Post by bbell447 »

Hi there. When I was younger, I used to read all the time, Harry Potter, Captain Underpants, the works. Then video games came along and sucked up much of time, and I lost the appeal of reading. Now, thanks to a lit. appreciation class in my senior year, I'm back to reading for fun. The only problem is, I find it hard to find books I wanna read. Here's a list that can help you figure out what I might like. I've enjoyed:

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Twilight (First book only, rest of the series was boring)
Harry Potter Series
My Booky Wook by Russel Brand (currently reading, kinda funny)
Crooked
The Body of Christopher Creed

I know it's a short list, but it's really all I can think of at the moment. I've read much more but these are the books that stick out in my mind. I like a hint of mystery, a hint of love, a hint of comedy ha. Thanks!
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

Hi, glad to hear you're back into books! I would definitely recommend "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien, if you haven't already read them. They really are the best of fantasy in my personal opinion, and the movies never convey the worth of the books. You might also like "The Chronicles of Narnia" series, they were my favorites. I also loved the Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale and the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini when I was reading the Harry Potter series.

I don't know if you want to expand your horizons into the heady world of classical books... let me know and I can tell you my favorites from there as well.
andr70

Post by andr70 »

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, of course :roll:
saprata

Post by saprata »

andr70 wrote:The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, of course :roll:
That is actually a very good book but I don't know if it's actually what your looking for because I got the impression that you enjoy the fantasy genre more than the others.
saprata

Post by saprata »

* you're , not "your" (sorry)
Jo.Y

Post by Jo.Y »

Hi,

I would recomend The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. It includes mystery, drama and romance. It focuses on the story of an older lady who is close to death recalling her youth to her granddaughter. The book then splits into two sections where you find out about the life of the older lady as she is now and then the other part where you find out about her younger self. There is a mystery that unravels throughout the book during the recalling of the lady's younger days. This is carried on throughout the book, with the present day interweeving between this section to create suspense. It has quite a suprisingly ending. Overall, I found the book very interesting and hard to put down. It wasn't something I would normally read, but I seen it reviewed on Richard and Judy's book club and thought I would give it a go.
Hope this helps. :)
LordGarthVader

Post by LordGarthVader »

His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman
Northern Lights
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

I read these a little while back and they are pretty good. Right up your street with what you have written down. Very mystical and full of fantasy and different realms.

I do not know what level of reading you are at but if you want a good fantasy book and if you think you can handle it, then The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien is by and far the greatest fantasy trilogy ever. Full of strange creatures and their dangerous lairs, massive scale battles, wizard v wizard battles. In short it is a masterpeice, its just quite hard to get through.
LauraH

Post by LauraH »

The Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Adventurous, quirky sidekick, love story, smart reading- a little lighthearted too. Fun read.

Catch by Will Leitch

Insightful, funny as hell, a little bit slow moving (but he makes up for it with the insane stupidity of his characters), realistic but really really witty main character.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”