Review of The Fish House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinesia Browman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Review of The Fish House

Post by Chinesia Browman »

I was very intrigued by Rick's life. It was an amazing review and I'm interested in knowing how and why he hasn't found the meaning of his life yet and he's a grown man. So I really look forward to reading this book.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Hidden Burglar by Jacquel Clark

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The complicated childhood, adult challenges, and tragic incidents all appear to contribute to an intricate journey of self-discovery and the search for meaning and purpose in life. It looks into the complexities of life in a humorous and philosophical way.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Rockey's fiction novel tells the life story of Rick Carlson, a man who faced a lifetime of adversity and went to therapy as an adult as he searched for the meaning of life. My heart broke for Rick, as I read the sample and learned all about his challenging childhood. I hope he found happiness in the end. Terrific book review!
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: Impact Zone by B.D. Roy

Post by Hy Be »

Amazing review. "The Fish House " by G.L Rockey revolves around Rick Carlson, who is juggling with his traumatic past and to find meaningful life. The author showcased Rick's resilience and hope in a captivating way. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

It looks like a very thought-provoking book as it delves into the protagonist's life as he searches for the meaning of life. Thank you for your review.
Suvankar Das 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suvankar-das-1.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Suvankar Das 1 »

Thank you for providing a thorough and insightful review of "The Fish House" by G. L. Rockey. Your detailed analysis of the writing style, character interactions, and the engaging narrative is helpful for potential readers. Your observations about the transition in style and some formatting issues contribute to a well-rounded review.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Discussing the thought-provoking therapy sessions is a nice touch, showing how the book explores deeper themes. The moderate length seems appropriate for the story as well, based on your description.
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

"The Fish House" by G L Rockey is a fictional novel on the journey of Rick Carlson. Rick suffered his father's loss, adjusted to his stepfather changing his name, and the death of his stepfather. The book can give valuable insights on the psychological effects of situations on human mind. A must read for fiction lovers. This is a honest and informative review. Thank you!
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Nyleja Kim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Nyleja Kim »

The review really nice, the self-discovery of Rick gives a deep insight of life. The engaging story and writing style of the author is nice and amazing. I really enjoyed reading this book and congratulations to author on BOTD.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

The amount of errors I found in the first chapter was enough to put me off. This book has the potential to be a great story, but another proofread would be advisable. I don't think I'd enjoy the abrupt change in focus either, so I'll give this one a miss.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Anu Anand »

This book seems like a captivating exploration of life's complexities, blending humor with deep philosophical insights. The author's engaging narrative style and character interactions make it an enjoyable read. Congrats on BOTD!
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Stolen by Neil Edwin Fountaine
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I enjoy books that promote therapy and explore the human mind. Rick seems to have a sustainable life but internally he is not whole as he would like to be. The relationship with his biological father must be a huge part of his healing, especially since his stepfather is now gone. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.
Abi_rami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-rami.html
Latest Review: The Mission by Tara Basi

Post by Abi_rami »

The title of the book itself made me curious to know more about the story. Rick Carlson's story seems interesting. The informal way of dialogues in a slang helps to experience the story. This is also a well-detailed review that provided every aspect of this book in simple words.
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

In this fictional book "The Fish House", G. L. Rockey presents us with the tumultuous life of Rick Carlson and all the struggles he faces in his life, from his childhood with the loss of his father and getting to know a new parental figure in his life, to his adult life where his hard life makes him take sessions with a psychologist to help him understand and manage his emotions.
Seems like a great story and may help readers connect with Rick in his psychology sessions and the way he opens up his emotions to a professional.
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

While I’d usually be interested in a book with so much character exploration, the mention of its being jarring in its transitions (or lack thereof) and not professionally edited means I’ll probably give it a miss. Congrats on BOTD though!
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”