Review of Northern Umbrage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Re: Review of Northern Umbrage

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

When dead fish started appearing on the shore of Eagle River, Dr. John Bucannon an Environmental Pathologist, became curious. After arriving in Wisconsin, Dr. Bucannon discovers a wild and weird animal that has been terrorizing the region. Will Dr. Bucannon solve the environmental mysteries surrounding Wisconsin?
ALMEEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ALMEEM »

The author skillfully crafts a captivating narrative, blending various elements to create an engaging story. She has adeptly integrated environmental concerns, and the fascinating inclusion of the beast in the narrative piques my interest to delve into this tale.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Action, thrillers with a touch of sci-fi, and an environmental message sounds like a winning combination to me. I can tell how much you loved this book, and you've inspired me to read it. Could toxic chemicals have created a wolf-like monster? I'm excited to find out.
Juliette Ehang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Juliette Ehang »

Great book with extra ordinary topic.
It's relationship between man and environment to protect ut,on another hand, another animal known as the beast threatening human life, as buc tried to see into it
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by the Buc's work as an environmental pathologist who investigates and attempts to solve environmental problems. I am intrigued by the reason why thousands of dead fish started washing up on shore near the small town of Eagle River, Wisconsin. I am interested in learning more about the animal of great speed and amazing power that has been terrifying the small town for months.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Stolen by Neil Edwin Fountaine
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Damian Keyes »

A book that's informative and action-packed; well, sign me up. I have never read a book before that mixes environmental issues with a suspenseful storyline about a beast, so that's very different and intriguing. This book I am going to add to my must-read list before the year is over. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.
Marina Joubert
Currently Reading: Northern Umbrage
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Marina Joubert »

From the beginning of the chapters I felt there would be something more and with every page read, the story unfolding is not only intriguing but the feel of an adventure to come. The environmental issues are real and valid yet the journey towards finding out what is happening to the 'dead fish'' and the welcoming gestures from all in the town will make for more exciting and evolving reading. Reality versus fiction, this is the book I would like to finish reading.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Novembers by Norman Cristofoli
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

:techie-studyinggray:
In the sample, the narration was from the view point of an environment pathologist, a detail that I loved. Thank you for the review. I feel that small steps will not be adequate to solve this issue. We need more books like these to spread more awareness.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Abi_rami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-rami.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Abi_rami »

This book seems interesting. It takes on the topic of environmental pollution and that makes it a socially relevant book. Also, the presence of mysterious affairs and its investigation is nothing short of fascinating.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by MMcB »

“Northern Umbrage" by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D. contains a tale that mixes science fiction and warnings about global climate change.
The character and plot development are excellent as is the premise of this book. We need to alert, or better yet, alarm the world’s population to the dire situation we are putting ourselves in if we don’t take action to alleviate the damage to our environment!
Congratulations on the Book of the Day and thank you for the supportive review!
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
odlanra
Favorite Book: Carbynarah Chronicles
Currently Reading: All In Divine Order
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odlanra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by odlanra »

Wow! I think many people would like the book. I have also the impression that it is a must-read. Environmental awareness and environmental actions are present-day realities that are inevitable. The only thing that would prevent or hinder me from believing it is a must-read is that it is fiction and a sci-fi. But what more could attract readers and people from being conscious of the present-day real environmental problems than a sci-fi environmental story showing or perhaps extrapolating to what the taste of the human future is if these things continue, albeit perhaps exaggerated (Just remember that most of the scientific and magical wonders of science and technology written down in science fiction stories have been realized and are being achieved slowly towards completion or understanding). Come to think of it, from the review and the sample, we started with a mysterious animal and finally, it seems, we have a chemical processing plant. The story has science fiction, adventure, mystery, and a real-life environmental angle. It has even a romance. Very nice!
Yvonne Oloo
Currently Reading: Angel Falling
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-oloo.html
Latest Review: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking) by Elizabeth Moore Kraus

Post by Yvonne Oloo »

Thanks for the great review. I'm left wondering where the dead fish washing up ashore and the mysterious beast are connected in the story, which only means that I have to read the book to find out. Your mention of the author's purpose in spreading knowledge on environmental pollution also adds to the intrigue, plus I like that the truth is revealed little by little. So, I think this book may be a great one to read.
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

This seems to be an exciting book. When those dead fishes begin to be washed to shore, it signifies a great danger in the river. I hope the source of pollution is discovered and our consciousness about pollution is awakened. Thanks for the review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3098
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is definitely an enthralling, informative book, and I like the fact that even though the book is fictional, the author adequately shows the potential catastrophic consequences of environmental pollution. I look forward to following Dr. John Bucannon, the Environmental Pathologist, as he does his work. Many thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I love reading suspense and mystery novels and this one is right up my alley. I’m looking forward to digging into this novel to find out how John Bucannon solved the mystery of the thousands of dead fish in Wisconsin as he faced a terrifying creature called the Beast.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”