Review of Love, Flesh, and Spirit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Novembers by Norman Cristofoli
fav_author_id: 2540

Re: Review of Love, Flesh, and Spirit

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

I will pass this book considering it is not my preferred genre. As the review said, repetition is boring and I suspect the author was just trying to increase the word count. The desire to sin and the compulsion to obey God will be at war in this book. Curious what will win.
However, congratulations on the BOTD!

"The only thing I cannot resist is temptation." -Oscar Wilde
Ni_weh_sesh62
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 703
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Love, Flesh and Spirit” by L. Adlai Boyd is a story about a young, married with children American preacher named Nathan in the 1960’s. His life changed dramatically after he fell in love with a younger parishioner. He tried to continue his devotion to God, his parishioners, his wife and their children after he began his affair. The shame he would incur once the story goes public and the devastating impact this will have on his wife and children. Being a happily married man with children I could never do this but I realize it happens too often although I have never heard of this happening to a preacher. I cannot imagine seeing a man that conducts weekly sermons in his church before his congregation with his wife and children probably sitting in the first pew committing adultery with a young parishioner probably attending the same service. I am adding this book to my to-read shelf. Very good review.
Geeta091997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Geeta091997 »

The author’s technique of storytelling held my attention especially the way author described when he fell in love with the young parishioner. Even though he was married and had children and also devoted to god but his desire for young lady still distract him. He stuck between the agape and eros love.
Toobaahmed Ahmed
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Toobaahmed Ahmed »

:tiphat: The book was rich in complex and mature themes that explored the intricacies of human desire and nature. It shed light on topics such as love, loss, identity, and the complexities of relationships, which I found very enlightening.
Love, Flesh, and Spirit by L. Adlai Boyd is a gripping tale that delves into the complexities of love, faith, and desire in a preacher's life. Nathan struggles to juggle his commitment to his work and God, his love for his wife and children, and the relentless lust and pursuit of his mistress. Nathan seems to do his well and the author did his job very well to give the story a provoking and realistic manner. Well done L. Adlao Boyd
Toobaahmed Ahmed
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Toobaahmed Ahmed »

Toobaahmed Ahmed wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 00:28 :tiphat: The book was rich in complex and mature themes that explored the intricacies of human desire and nature. It shed light on topics such as love, loss, identity, and the complexities of relationships, which I found very enlightening.
Love, Flesh, and Spirit by L. Adlai Boyd is a gripping tale that delves into the complexities of love, faith, and desire in a preacher's life. Nathan struggles to juggle his commitment to his work and God, his love for his wife and children, and the relentless lust and pursuit of his mistress. Nathan seems to do his well and the author did his job very well to give the story a provoking and realistic manner. Well done L. Adlao Boyd
Geeta091997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Geeta091997 »

Love, Flesh, and Spirit the story is great which discusses present day issues, it shows how human frailty heavily oppressed . Between the most two powerful feeling, and this kind of issues are not much discussed today. The book reviews are amazing.
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

Thank you for sharing your profound insights and offering a compelling recommendation. Your review has sparked my curiosity and compelled me to explore this captivating story for myself.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Love, Flesh, and Spirit" by L. Adlai Boyd details the life of a young preacher as he struggled to juxtapose his love life, flesh(lust) and obedience to God. This will be a good read for Christians.
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Michael Gambo »

I'll have to overlook the lengthiness of this book, as it is outweighed by the mentioned merits.
I believe in something greater than myself.
DR SHIKHA AWASTHI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-shikha-awasthi.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by DR SHIKHA AWASTHI »

I appreciate your honesty in noting the book's length and repetitive elements, yet acknowledging that these factors didn't detract significantly from your overall enjoyment. Your decision to maintain a five-star rating, based on the book's engaging and intellectually stimulating nature, demonstrates a fair and balanced assessment.

It's clear that the novel left a lasting impact on you, prompting contemplation of its themes and characters. Your review serves as a valuable recommendation for those who appreciate rich, thought-provoking literature.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

I admire literary works that tackle societal issues. L. Adlai Boyd, through the character Nathan, has shown how detrimental an unrestrained quest for sexual explorations can damage not only our reputation but also whatever we have laboured to build. I like the poetic elements used in this work. I also wish the author consider working on the repetitive aspects pointed out in this review, and, of course, give the work another round of editing. I recommend this book.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

The poetic nature seamlessly woven into the paragraphs is 100% effective. Reading, I could feel each word, creating an immersive experience. The overall effect was captivating, engaging me as I sensed changes in my adrenaline with the unfolding events.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Abiodunakinola »

L. Adlai Boyd's "Love, Flesh, and Spirit" presents a captivating narrative set in the 1960s, exploring the complexities of a young preacher's life as he grapples with love, faith, and desire. The author's adept storytelling and exploration of mature themes create an intellectually stimulating and emotionally engaging reading experience. Nice review.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Today's BOTD is a story about a Protestant married pastor, Nathan, who falls in love with a young parishioner. He struggles between his desires and his love for God. I sampled a few pages and didn't enjoy Nathan and Melanie's history and their betrayal of Lenore. I respectfully pass this book. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Love, Flesh and Spirit is a thought provoking novel. The book tackles important issues such as religion, monogamy, and love. I like that the book is written in a somewhat poetic way and I'm curious to find out what happens to Nathan. Congrats on making botd!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”