Review of The Fish House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rezaul Hasan
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rezaul-hasan.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young

Re: Review of The Fish House

Post by Rezaul Hasan »

"The Fish House is an imaginary novel by G. L. Rockey. The book comprises of 68 sections that follow the existence of Rick Carlson, a man with a wild past and a steady quest for significance in his life. Rick Carlson, abandoned at a young age. The story advances through Rick's life as a youngster and adulthood, diving into his quest for a composing profession. Rick faces different difficulties, from disturbed connections to monetary battles. "There's such a great amount to cherish about this book. One angle that stood apart to me was the writer's charming composing style. "I prescribe this book to admirers of fictitious dramatizations looking for a connecting with and convincing first-individual portrayal." I rating This Book 4 out of 5.
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85

Post by Seamstress »

Not sure what to think about this book, because from the description provided by the review, it looks like Rick Carlson struggles so much trying to find the meaning in his life, that he actually forgets to live. In my opinion, the meaning is in a hundred thousand little things that one shouldn't search for but decide to enjoy and live to the fullest. Congratulations with BOTD!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

A fictional book about one's self discovery. This would be a lovely book for weekend read. A thought provoking though written in fictional way is a must read to me because all of us are in constant search for the meaning of life. Congrats for being the #botd.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by MMcB »

Interesting review of *The Fish House* by G L Rockey! The reviewer writes that this is a good read, a thought provoking book and a series of talks during therapy. The main character is searching for the meaning of his life. Seems like it could use more editing and a transition from story to philosophical waxing.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Stolid by Aaron D Key

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

After amorous encounter between two hormone-charged teenagers, Rick was conceived. This personal, often serious book, set in the mid twentieth century is written from Rick’s point of view. It’s an interesting narrative on how families were structured and some very philosophical viewpoints.
Latest Review: Stolid by Aaron D Key
Sameena Ansari
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading: Losing Hope
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Sameena Ansari »

Author G. L. Rockey's magnetic storytelling shines through in The Fish House. Rick's life, peppered with familial complexities and existential musings, beckons readers on a journey of introspection and growth. A compelling recommendation for those seeking literary depth.
Himanshu K Yadav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himanshu-k-yadav.html
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo

Post by Himanshu K Yadav »

If you enjoy character-driven stories with introspective protagonists and gradual growth, you might enjoy "The Fish House." Congrats on #BOTD
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

The Fish House seems like a thought provoking book. The book has an interesting plot. I'm interested in finding out what Rick's therapy sessions with Sami are like and what they discuss. Congratulations on making botd!
Sakshi A Soni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakshi-a-soni.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Sakshi A Soni »

"Thank you for your thorough and insightful review of 'The Fish House' by G. L. Rockey. Your astute observations truly reflect the depth and complexity of Rick Carlson's journey, from his tumultuous past to his ongoing pursuit of meaning and identity. It's refreshing to see how you've highlighted the author's skillful use of narrative style, particularly in capturing the essence of Rick's character through engaging dialogue and humor. Your critique regarding the abrupt transition in style and formatting issues adds valuable perspective to the discussion. Despite these challenges, your endorsement of the book's engaging and compelling narration speaks volumes. Your dedication to honesty and constructive feedback is commendable, and it's reviews like yours that contribute immensely to the literary discourse. Here's to embracing the highs and lows of storytelling and finding beauty in the journey. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!"
JoanR Lamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanr-lamin.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by JoanR Lamin »

Having read the first few chapters of G.L. Rockey's "The Fish House," I find the above review insightful. I found the book to be fast-paced, which is not much of my style. However, the review caught my attention, making me reconsider. The use of simple language made for an interesting read.
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Hattie's World by Thomas Bauer

Post by Ika Apro »

I think the title has a great methaphorical meaning. Every one of us should constantly search for the reason of their existance in this life, and this book could maybe help some of us in our own search.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 173%

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

Congratulations on the BOTD. "The Fish House" by G L Rockey is a fictional book. The reviewer has rightly highlighted the positive and negative aspects of the book which I appreciate. Readers will love the author's writing style, use of simple and understandable language to convey meaning to this content.
Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin
Favorite Book: The Inner CEO
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boluwatife-ade-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin »

Therapy is sure one way to over come so many life trauma. If anyone would want to live a good life even after having bitter experience, then they should visit a therapist. I love the way the Dr. Sami allowed Rick say everything he felt and feeling and just listen, that is a good skill a therapist should possess.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 701
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“The Fish House” by G.L. Rockey is a fictional novel that follows the life of Rick Carlson beginning in Biloxi, Mississippi. His mother Carmello became pregnant at age 17 by a 23-year-old man named Leo. After a shotgun wedding Leo took off and joined the military. Carmello lived with her aunt, cared for the baby and then found a job as a waitress. She met Sid, the owner of The Fish House Restaurant and eventually became Sid’s girl. They got married after she divorced Leo and Sid adopted Rick. Rick’s elementary education was very poor so Sid and Carmello enrolled him in a Catholic prep high school for boys run by Catholic Brothers and a Priest. Rick experienced quite a few bouts with discipline for various reasons but was never expelled. After he finished high school, he became a manager at The Fish House and then took over when Sid died. The slang language used in the book was hard to follow at times and readers could easily see where Rick’s life was headed. Tragedy struck and Rick ended up in therapy sessions. One needs to read the book to learn what happens to Rick, his partner Julie and his mom Carmello. A very good review.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Olga Markova »

Your review is very impressive, Chris Alex! I sampled the episode about Rick's biological parentage and his adoption by Sid, and like you, I found the storytelling highly captivating. Having read your review, I am intrigued to find out about the thought-provoking advice of Sami in Chapter 55.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”